Houzz Logo Print
christalsprout

Skylight - light benefit vs. heat

christalsprout
le mois dernier
Dernière modification : le mois dernier

I'm considering a Velux skylight in my small kitchen. I am not knocking down walls, or building on to my house, so I thought a skylight would help it to feel more open. That said, my kitchen faces SouthEast. This side of my house gets HOT HOT HOT summer sun. I'm having my deck covered currently, but that's another topic. So about the skylight, I know it will give me a ton of light and help the kitchen feel brighter and more open, but I am just concerned it could be counter-productive if it makes the kitchen hot. And if I have to keep the shade closed all the summer on the skylight because of the heat, then it's a waste to get one put in. Appreciate your thoughts.

Commentaires (19)

• arcy_gw
    le mois dernier
    Dernière modification :le mois dernier

We loved the sky light in our main bathroom three houses ago. Ours was "Low-e range and/or lamination" so we never noticed heat transfer. Skylight cans are cheaper, less likely to leak and bring in light.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    le mois dernier

The Low-e range and/or lamination in a proper skylight is going to make the radiant heat almost non-existent (through the glass). If your attic has other issues going on, that won't be the fault of the skylight.

• Paul F.
    le mois dernier

I bought a Velux solar powered opening skylight, with built in shade, from Home Depot... there is a smart controller add-on you can get to schedule the shade to close at the hottest time of day and to open to vent heat at night for a period of time. Rain always closes it. It's great and I highly recommend one.

• jck910
    le mois dernier

Agree with Paul F. we put the same skylight in our small kitchen remodel 10 years ago. The light is great and we got light filtering shade.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    le mois dernier

If you're worried about heat, instead of a skylight perhaps consider better electrical lighting.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    le mois dernier

You need just better lighting not a skylight . As for the rest of the heat use dolar shades on all the windows they control het and UV and allow you to keep the view . You get sun all day and a skylight will just magnify that heat . It trully will not make the space feel more open . If you want help with that post pics of the space here in comments then maye we can help. DO NOT start another post.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    le mois dernier

I couldn't disagree more that the OP just needs better lighting and not a skylight. There's a big difference between natural daylighting and artificial lighting. In my experience, installing skylights tend to make spaces feel more open and inviting.

• debrak6
    le mois dernier

I live in a hot climate and we love the skylight in our kitchen. It really does add to the brightness of the room and even when the sun is directly overhead and we get a shaft of sunlight on the island, it does not make the kitchen hotter. For me, electrical light never makes up for the lack of natural light and windows. I'd do it.

• sktn77a
    le mois dernier

Velux skylights have a variety in interior and exterior sun shades and blinds. Have you looked into these to see if they would meet your needs? And there are other brands with alternative sunscreening options.

• christalsprout
    Auteur d'origine
    le mois dernier

Thank you all for your comments so far. I know I can get the skylight with a remote shade. I get an unbelievable amount of HOT direct sun on this side of my house. My concern is that if I have to use a shade and have it closed most of the time, then I am afraid it's just going to defeat the purpose. Even the Velux site does say that certain placement, such as mine, WILL increase the heat.

• PRO
    le mois dernier

See above. The solar coating available in skylights will readily reduce the amount of solar radiation through the glass by over 300% in many cases.

• debrak6
    le mois dernier

We can only tell you what we know and our experiences, then you have to decide whether your desire for more light outweighs your fear of increased heat or needing to use a shade occasionally. I live in a hot place, our skylight is large and on a south-facing roof slope, it does not have a shade, and our kitchen doesn't heat up even when the sun is directly overhead and coming down through the shaft. It's also 20 years old and there are even more advanced sun-blocking glass options now. It's up to you, though.

• la_la Girl
    le mois dernier

I would imagine having the additional natural light during all the non-summer months would make up for the fact that it *might* have to covered a few summer weeks here or there?

• christalsprout
    Auteur d'origine
    le mois dernier

Thanks everyone. We've decided to go for it! The positives outweigh the negatives and you all have been very helpful! It's actually going to be installed next week. I have the skylight at my house, but I was getting cold feet about installing it. But now I'm excited again.

• Elmer J Fudd
    le mois dernier

I note with some amusement that the person who sells windows believe skylights are a good choice and the person who lives in a place that's overcast for much of the year (Cowell Consulting in British Columbia) says the solution is better lighting, not a skylight.

My own experience with many skylights in a moderate climate location is that for those with E-glass, direct sunlight produces warming on the interior surfaces where light shines. Plastic skylights on the north facet of the roof let in noticeable coolness on a cool day. It's not something to puzzle over, a skylight has an R value in the single digits while a solid ceiling in the same place would be as with the rest of the ceiling surface, R30 or more, depending on the area.

• Paul F.
    le mois dernier

The smart home add on will control your opening skylight accord to preset temps, humidity and and CO2. I strongly recommend it.

• debrak6
    le mois dernier

I think you'll be glad you installed it and love the light!

• PRO
    le mois dernier

While the comparative R-value was never a puzzle, you can't look through or get light through an R-30 ceiling. Hence the reason for the question. As stated previously...the Low-e glass will limit (not eliminate) the amount of radiant heat through he glass. The skylight shaft, if necessitated by the construction type, can be insulated such that it will not be as much of a weak point in the assembly. Again, intelligent approach to building can offset the assembly reductions.

• la_la Girl
    le mois dernier

love the skylight in our master bath - 12+ years, no issues - you will love the natural light!

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».