Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Best roofing material for house in the South

AJCN
le mois dernier

We live in the Gulf South and need a new roof. I've never had a roof replaced and don't know much about the process. First question is materials. It's a traditional house, so I presume shingles rather than something like tile. But what type of materials are best for a house where it gets really hot for about half the year? Are there brands or types that are better than others? And do I need to learn about this or just used whatever the roofer recommends. I'm starting to get quotes. First quote listed Owens Corning shingles.

Commentaires (6)

• millworkman
    le mois dernier

I would use a 30 year (minimum) architectural shingle. I would ice and water barrier or similar underlayment on the entire roof. Ownes Corning or GAF would be fine brands to go with and are the most common. Tamko and Iko are as well. I would be certain your insurance company will not require a hurricane impact shingle sing you say "Gulf South".

AJCN a remercié millworkman
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    le mois dernier

How close to the Ocean. Is this going to be a home you will live in for a while?

AJCN a remercié Windows on Washington Ltd
  • AJCN
    Auteur d'origine
    le mois dernier

I went on the Owens Corning website and they have a "find a contractor" area. I've gotten some references from neighbors also. I don't recognize any of the contractors listed on the Owens site, but it does say:

"Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Preferred Contractors are the top tier of our exclusive network and meet strict standards for professionalism, reliability and unparalleled craftsmanship. Only they can offer our best roofing system warranty."

Do you think it makes sense to use their list?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    le mois dernier

A good contractor is a good contractor. That said, OC and other suppliers do vet the contractors in their preferred contractor programs and provide a bit of an insurance check for you on their marketplace partners. The preferred network partners will also have warranty options not available to some folks.

AJCN a remercié Windows on Washington Ltd
  • AJCN
    Auteur d'origine
    le mois dernier

Windows on Washington:

We're about 80 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, so not so near, but we do get severe wind and rain when tropical storms and hurricanes come our way. Not planning to move for at least another 10 years.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».