Houzz Logo Print
bamamom

HELP......chairs or loveseat/very small couch????

bamamom
il y a 10 ans
I may have messed up....please see my original post "Unbalanced wall space....

I started out thinking this was going to be a little home office space/sitting room. Then it really became more sitting room and playroom for 2 year old grand-daughter. Which is what I really would like the space to be. The chest is actually a secretary from Ballard Designs and holds our laptops and cords, etc. Bottom drawer is file cabinet. So it works perfectly in here. Only other option would be to move it back into the guest bedroom, where it was not getting used.

I have since sold the little brown loveseat/chair&1/2. Now I have the two slipper chairs left. Not really liking them under the painting.
I think I really would prefer a small sofa (65" long max) or a regular size loveseat (60-65" long). I am loving the white sofas with neutral walls.
Here is a pic of the Standby loveseat from Ikea, I know it is cheap, but I love the white color, size and that the slipcovers are washable...good with grandchild running around.
Also attached is fabric swatches from Home Reserve, for loveseat possiblity from that source.

What to do?
1...keep chairs, different color area rug? IF so, pattern vs solid?
2..Purchase colorful loveseat and sell chairs and keep white shag rug (just purchased in Aug)? See fabric swatches for color options
3. white loveseat (Ikea) and a colorful rug....pick color from painting?

I really have to make up my mind this time as the hubby is tired of the quick changes going on. But, I am so tired of making mistakes and second guessing myself. My gut tells me white loveseat from IKEA and an area rug in a color from the painting. I would really prefer to keep the secretary in the room where it is located...to balance the wall AND it is being used for the purpose it was intended. Granddaughter's toys are on the other side of the room, not really visible from dining room or the kitchen until you are almost in the room.
PS....wall color is Manchester Tan from Benjamin Moore and is NOT changing....LOVE the wall color.
Thanks

Commentaires (24)

• bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    PS...I do have two more swatches arriving today...a "Sand" color (cream/buttermilk description on the site) and a "Sky" which appears to be a robin egg blue color....both are the faux suede....not really sure I like that type fabric.
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    OK, last two samples arrived today....pic of them AND a pic using an old sheet as a sample of what white could look like....I do not think a twill slipcover would be as white though.
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Okay, I narrowed my fabric choices down to these, not very narrow I suppose.
    Any suggestions?
  • indomom
    il y a 10 ans
    I like the color and texture of top row, far right (#4). Have you considered a teal fabric? I love how the vases look with your wall color.
    bamamom a remercié indomom
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 10 ans
    Go with your gut on the white sofa and colored rug - ditch the chairs or use elsewhere.
    bamamom a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    The "slipcover" is just an old memory foam mattress protector. The only thing I had in white large enough for a sample cover.

Thanks deco....You have seen this room, and a couple of others, go through some transformations. Yes, trying to get rid of the chairs now. Not going so well. I really do not want to put them back into the spare bedrooms and keep them cluttering up the spaces. Prefer to get them gone.

My choices are 1 slipcovered Ikea loveseat
    2 top row, far right (has cream/tan and turquoise
    3 top row second from right
    4 first one on top row
    5 bottom row left.

indomom....yes I thought about a teal, but with the vases and so much teal in the painting, I thought that might be a bit to much teal. The light blue in person is not as blue looking, more green undertones (think robin egg blue). just not crazy about the suede feel. The other choices are traditional upholstery type fabric.

cathieg....your choice I do like, but I'm hesitant about that one possibly blending with the hardwood color to much.

Thanks so much for comments :-)
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 10 ans
    Put them on Craigs List!
  • Catherine Giesige
    il y a 10 ans
    I meant the slip covered sofa :-)
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Deco...have had them on there for a week...nothing! Even our local area has a garage sale site on facebook....a bunch of likes but no bites. I checked with two consignment shops in town, if they sold them both said they would start at $450 for the pair, ( I listed at $400 with hopes of $350) and each said they felt confident they would have them sold at $199 a piece. Hubby said do it your self and rather than getting only 60% of the sales price. Fingers crossed. It will happen when I least expect it just like it did with the little loveseat.
    cathieg....sorry miss understood about the slip cover! Ha! To many things swirling through my little brain.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 10 ans
    They'll move - go ahead and find your replacement piece!
    bamamom a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • clamphere
    il y a 10 ans
    P
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    deco....maybe it is your positive thinking, but since my last post I actually had an offer to purchase one of the chairs if I would be willing to split them up. I do not have a problem with that. Sooooooooooooooo, may be making a trip to Atlanta soon to nearest Ikea to look at that loveseat in person. If I'm not happy with it in person, then I'll go back to the other fabric swatches and either of the two on top row #1 or #4. Of course I keep thinking about the light blue and the brighter blue that I posted in the first batch of swatches....but that one would probably be a bit to much with the vases.
    Will make sure to take my paint sample (the actual paint that I painted onto a large index card) with me to Ikea and compare with the slipcover.
    I'll keep ya posted.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Go with your gut: get the white sofa from IKea. The white will pull the white out from the water lily. And it will last you long enough for the price.
    bamamom a remercié pcmom1
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks pcmom1...so true about pulling the colors out of the painting. I also think the white will go well with the built ins and trim work in the room. The secretary has a little white distressing on it too.
    The loveseat will not have a lot of use like our couch in the family room.
  • indianpatti
    il y a 10 ans
    I like the shite loveseat from Ikea ... put some turquoise/green pillows on it.
    bamamom a remercié indianpatti
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    If I get the white loveseat from Ikea would this area rug work with the room, the painting in particular? Or keep a solid rug....not the white one there now. Sorry about the small pic, had to get it from the webite. home depot Artistic Weaver rugs Eldoret Beige...
    Model Eldoret-31157
    Definitely would want colorful pillows, so thinking this rug is not the way to go. Saw it on houzz today in a bedroom with white slipcovered chairs.. Tholen House...traditional bedroom Houston
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Rug also comes in a grey/cream and brown combination
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    il y a 10 ans
    I think the room would be most appealing with the fluffy white rug and sky loveseat. But I've never had a suede sofa and/or a 2-year old! It sounds like the practical solution is to go with the white slipcover and pile on color in throw pillows. If you feel like you need to add color in the rug, store the white shag until granddaughter is no longer using the room as a play room.
    bamamom a remercié Sage Lane Realty
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you Lanie....I'm so undecided and tired of making wrong choices. I love the sky faux suede with the white rug (was not terribly expensive found it on Joss & Main site) (the brighter blue (I think it is called aqua) suede really matches the teal/blue in the painting. Hubby not crazy about either of those. And of course the white slipcover with a brighter rug, turquoise, teal OR even possibly a plum from the artwork. I'm actually more worried with the dog on the white rug than the 2 year old. Ha! Seems the new white rug is the new favorite spot for the dog to snooze.
    Oh the fabric swatches are from Home Reserve...my daughter in law found their site and ordered a sectional from them. It sits very well, the fabric has not stretched out, the seats have not become to soft and the storage underneath is great! Plus easily put together and if something happens to a section, piece of the fabric you can order a replacement piece. So, for the price the faux suede would be fine and the storage under both seats could come in handy for me. As the Dare to Decorate with Bold Fabrics stated, I just need to decide whether or not to take the plunge. :-)
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    il y a 10 ans
    Okay, here's a different spin since you're confused anyway. If you like the idea of taking the plunge with a bold color for the sofa and Hubby does not care for either of the blues, is there another color to consider? What's the first fabric swatch on the far left in the first pic? I hope it's plum!
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    The swatches hanging from the frame? It is a navy blue with goldish/tan threads running through. I did not like the feel of the fabric. Hubby is not really thrilled with any of the swatches! LOL....he did pick out the darker golden brown, which I felt blends with the hardwood color! Ha! The secretary is the Eastman from Ballard design and the color is Whitewashed Oak. light grey/little bits of oak/white distressing to it. So it is pretty light colored and I would like to keep the light feeling in the room, considering the white built in corner cabinets and all the white trim and white plantation shutters. The more green swatches looked more like pea soup to me in person, though my daughter (who lives in CA) looked at the emails and picked everything that was green.
    IF I did not go with the two brighter blues, I think the top row on the right swatch from Wed. at 8:10 post would be the safe bet. He was okay with it. The fabric is a greenish/gold with turquoise threads and some cream threads.
    He does not want me to spend more money and then two to three years from now be tired of it and want to do something new. Of course for the price of these loveseats from either source, I do not expect them to be around forever. And the room is only a playroom twice a week, not a lot of wear and tear going on in here. I'm not wanting to spend big bucks like we did for the forever couch/chairs in the family room.
  • PRO
    Bedbury Realtors
    il y a 10 ans
    Use a small couch... The two chairs are too "choppy" looking for the space. A couch would look neater and cleaner
  • bamamom
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you Bedbury....have put the chairs on craigslist. Fingers crossed they will sell soon.

This is a closer look at the only swatch the hubs and I agreed on....the middle swatch.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».