Houzz Logo Print
d1225kimb

Our builder is quoting an extensive remodel. There are two doors we a

d1225kimb
il y a 10 ans
Our builder is quoting an extensive remodel. There are two doors we are looking at for back yard; one off den and other master. He insists that sliding glass doors are the way to go for security purposes. I personally can't stand them. French doors the only way. Opinions??

Commentaires (11)

• mcbmd3
    il y a 10 ans
    Get what you want. Is crime a huge issue in your neighborhood? Follow your instincts. You can always add an alarm system.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    il y a 10 ans
    If someone really wants to break into your house, it won't matter what kind of doors you have, or security system, or even visible video cameras. They will either break the glass, or kick in the door, or failing that, break a window and crawl through.
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    French. Definitely. There are ways to add extra security to French doors as well, and some are built better than others to begin with.
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    I agree with Lesley. I live in a very "safe" neighborhood, and about six months ago we had a string of breakins. One of my neighbors experienced a Mission Impossible break in where they came in through the skylight. It was the only window not on the alarm system. Go for looks. Glass won't deter anyone determined to get in,
  • lefty47
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    HI - Slider patio doors are not anymore secure . They are usually the second choice of entry for a burglary , the first being attached garage house entrance . The French doors are a better choice with a good deadbolt lock on the active door and the dummy door has bolts that go into the door frame top and bottom. There are also other locking systems for French doors . Check with a good locksmith shop in your area and they can get you what you need and even install it. But if you have something a thief wants they are going to find a way to get in no matter . Our family business is Locksmith /security . Look into a monitored security system (pre-entry) and or even add the stickers that say you have one . They usually won't take the chance and will move on to the next house . There is no such thing as a safe neighborhood !!
  • hayleydaniels
    il y a 10 ans
    My husband refuses to put in French doors as he says they're very easy to break into. When I asked him why he was so sure about this, he told me that he needed to gain entry to a house on a house fire he was on [he's a firefighter] where there was a French door. I assume it had small panels so not wanting to destroy the door, he figured he could knock out a panel reach in and unlock the door. This was just with his hand, no fire ax or anything, and when he did that, both doors flew open! He says that if a firefighter can break in, a thief will have no trouble doing so. I think this was an average home in an average neighbor--the kind we live in.

Strangely enough, he says [and I believe him as he knows these things] that our sliding glass door is harder to break the lock on than a French door. Plus, a lot of thieves don't want the noise of shattering a sliding glass door that will alert the homeowner and close neighbors that something is going on.
  • lefty47
    il y a 10 ans
    HI -- Sometimes the panels of a sliding door can just be lifted out easy . That's because they are usually cheap or old style and haven't been installed properly . The French doors that the firefighter got into were probably cheaper ones or older and the hardware not installed properly . My Locksmith husband sees it all the time . Like I said -- if anyone wants to get in bad enough , they will get in. Point of interest --- there is a chance that 4 out of 5 neighbors house keys will work on your house locks . More so in a newer district because the houses are keyed the same to allow easy access for the trades to enter during the building process . And most home owners never get the locks re-coded when they move in .
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    il y a 10 ans
    In Florida, sometimes the Builders recommend against French doors in an area that isn't completely covered from the rain because they are prone to rotting out in a few years. I am not sure where you are or where the doors are located. If the doors are in an area prone to a lot of water or moisture, he might be just be saying "security." There are sliding glass doors available that look like French doors. If someone wants to break in, they will find a way.
  • PRO
    Bulldog Protection
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Take a look at some of our past projects, we specialize in security doors and windows for both external and internal issue. All our doors and windows are custom made and we can help assist you with on the level of security you require. Also all our external doors are made from electro-galvanized steel then powder coated, we have also manufactured our products in stainless steel. Our door finish comes in a range of materials, water proofing is not a problem. Our doors were tested in an independant laboratory in Germany. The testers continuously tried to break down the door for 77 minutes before giving up, They tried crowbars, hammers, sledge-hammers, cutting tools and drilling tools.
  • PRO
    Bulldog Protection
    il y a 10 ans
    These were fitted in London where it tends to rain alot.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».