Houzz Logo Print
happynons

Privacy solution between bedroom and bath

happynons
il y a 10 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 10 ans
Husband and I are on different schedules and need some sort of divider between the bedroom and bath which has no door. I've been using a panel curtain which matches pinch pleat curtains on the other side of the bedroom. However, the backside is ugly on the bath side. Is there any better possibility? Excuse the paint sampled walls.

Commentaires (112)

• PRO
    Lightlink Lighting
    il y a 10 ans
    I saw that on Dezeen too. It must be magnetic
  • maureenroth
    il y a 10 ans
    I think so. It doesn't provide the same sound privacy as a regular door but it's quite amazing.
  • brickln
    il y a 10 ans
    Still needs room to the side of the door that OP doesn't have. Is this a second entrance into the bath?
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    No it's the only entrance
  • sbrustein
    il y a 10 ans
    I ave a narrow hall between a walk in closet and my master bath. I have pocket doors on both of them. It will require some renovation as they were done when the room was under construction , but its a great solution. I really don't understand a bathroom without doors. Alternatively the saloon door shown by someone tat always stays closed and has a spring action is also better than nothing
    happynons a remercié sbrustein
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Shoji doors - this might also be a possibility. Cherrytreedesign.com to start
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    What do you think about this? Ikea SOLVEIG Window Panel Curtain blackout Divider Brown Black Kvartal

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-SOLVEIG-Curtain-blackout-Divider/dp/B009YJ9SGU
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Never mind, no room to pass thru. Doorway is 30"
  • meggielh
    il y a 10 ans
    Hang grommet curtains back to back. The right side will show on each side.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    il y a 10 ans
    Installing a Pocket doors is a lot of work, you have to open the wall, redo the wood framing, install rail, etc...redo dry wall, repaint, etc...so forget about this solution. two half doors is the solution, no sliding, no accordeon, it will take less space than a regular door when open.
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Why can't the door open into the bedroom? That's how I have mine it may not be standard but it works fine :)

If you want a simple fast dirty solution put up a mini blind.
  • brickln
    il y a 10 ans
    30" is a standard door size, I think, so I guess I don't know what the problem is.
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    A regular sized door cannot be opened fully with the space she has both ways.
  • brickln
    il y a 10 ans
    From the pictures I see from the bath facing the bedroom, there appears to be a short passageway before entering the room. Sure, the door would not swing fully open, it would open 90 degrees and rest against the bathroom wall. Many small baths are like this.
    happynons a remercié brickln
  • PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    il y a 10 ans
    A Barn door on a sliding track? Unless I'm missing something this would seem to be an ideal fix -- functional, and stylish.
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    It only needs to open 90 degrees I'm with Brickln...and it CAN open to the bedroom there is no rule. Brickln she has a towel rack on the bath side wall.
    happynons a remercié lucidos
  • jessegee
    il y a 10 ans
    Hows it coming Happynons? I'm sure there's a solution out there, what are you in favour of so far?
    ( wheres the chicken wire door, it could work with tweeking) x
  • brickln
    il y a 10 ans
    Perhaps she can move the towel rack closer to the shower by the door?
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Talked to a handyman who will be coming over in a couple weeks to verify, but here's the latest. I was going to use a towel rack train which would of course hamper (ha ha) the full swing of a regular door. My plan now is to use a regular towel bar 30" (we had a smaller 24" before) which will take up most of the wall. Now the towel bar won't jut out as much and with the use of a door stopper, all should work for a door in the 30" doorway. Sorry, I'm just not handy and couldn't visualize it. I guess the bad thing is that I lived with the ugly curtain solution for years!
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Jessegee, I didn't have my reading glasses when I read your post. I read..."it could work with TWERKING"! Not a pretty picture....
  • jessegee
    il y a 10 ans
    ah, lol! I do't know what that is, I'd better not ask. ( need glasses myself )
    New towel rail idea sounds great, you'll have a lovely door one day.
    If budget is stretched are you still off the idea of louvred doors?
    Bit old hat but I still think they look very nice, especially if painted in up to date colours.
    Occurred to me towels would dry well on a hanging rail over the louvres.. and give more privacy.
    Wouldn't it be great to go away on holiday and come back to a house fully done exactly the way we'd like it.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Door fits into budget. Started painting with a color (so could install towel bar) I wasn't sure of but love it. Never painted the ceiling before and with the sloped ceiling, it's very nice. Next step is granite, another couple of weeks there. Awaiting cabinet hardware. Lots more coming. I'm actually enjoying the process.
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    Wow! Keep the pictures coming!
    happynons a remercié User
  • jessegee
    il y a 10 ans
    Thats great news , so glad you'll have a door, seeing a bit more of the room, it deserves it. Great colour choice, its going to look fab.
    You have some beautiful furniture too, am in love with your chest of drawers.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you. Here's another one until daylight.
  • Geneviève
    il y a 10 ans
    Looking great :)
    happynons a remercié Geneviève
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Progress Report. Granite is in. Next week mirror will be remounted, fixture moved up, door installed, and recessed lighting. Here are photos. Some questions. Do you think the backsplash finished at the corner looks like it was done correctly? I was thinking it should have been a little longer, lined up with the wall (hard to explain). Kicking around hardware, esp. given the style of the house/bedroom. See other pics above as well. Most of the hardware now are Martha Stewart chrome pulls. I have one photo of a modern pull which is a longer pull. Which looks better? Here is a pic of the faucet that will be going in. Lastly, I may not know until later, but I'm pleased with the current cabinet vanity as I oiled it and it just chimes in with the rest. I may paint it but am open to ideas. The bathroom paint isn't totally done. Yet to be done, replacing white tile around tub/shower and shower glass. Will have questions on that later. Thank you in advance.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    More pics
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Here's another of the corner - the caulking and repairing of the wall has not yet been done
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    Yah done great!!! Personally I don't like side splashes at all. It could have been a tad longer but in the grand scheme of things it's a fussy diddly issue not an error.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    So you don't like backsplashes either? What would you use, just the wall (nothing)? My plan is to use a border for the mirror, so that would sit on top of the backsplash. Trying to picture.
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    I don't mind the backsplash I'm just not fond of the look of the side splashes they look clunky to me ( This is just MHO). The only time I like a side splash is when you incorporate it with say a mosaic border. And yes, a bare wall otherwise. To me side splashes are there to cover mistakes.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    OIC. mine got damaged when the previous builder white square tile was removed.
  • brickln
    il y a 10 ans
    On the granite, I think it's set correctly- perhaps it's the square edges abutting the rounded corner that bothers you?
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Seems to me that the side splash was cut too short. It would look better if it stopped and lined up with the wall (that is facing you)
  • maureenroth
    il y a 10 ans
    I don't love the idea of a sidesplash either. Much cleaner looking to just have bare wall. I'd rip it out. Glad you're getting a door; it will be much better than a curtain.
    happynons a remercié maureenroth
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    So jazzed! I have a door, a real door! So phase 1 of the remodel is done. I also have a granite countertop and new fresh, shiny sinks, more lighting, new hardware. Hubby hasn't bothered me in the morning nor have I in the evening. After 15 years of a curtain, why wasn't this done sooner? I think it's my memory of my gramma in me. Anyone remember blankets or quilts hanging between rooms for heat control or was it ambiance? Ha ha. Thank you to all. I've also included a panorama shot of the bedroom so you can see how it all fits together.
  • maureenroth
    il y a 10 ans
    Beautiful Happynons! Great job. Love your rug, by the way. I mean the one in the bedroom, although the bathroom rug is pretty cute too.
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    I'm afraid to ask...what's phase 2? You did a wonderful job !!
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Maureenroth, thanks! That is a funny story. We replaced the carpeting and soon thereafter I decided to layer 4 rugs when I saw some I just loved. H thought why did we do that if we were going to cover it up...he just didn't understand. Here are more photos of them. I esp love the large one and the one on my side. It's so soft under my feet. Also a close up since it's hard to see the detail. Thank you Tuesday Morning.
  • maureenroth
    il y a 10 ans
    OOh, I'd never get the cat fur out of that! Of course you probably wouldn't even notice.I want to carpet our MB but I'm a bit leery of a cat unravelling the whole thing. BTW I have your exact dresser!
  • mjlb
    il y a 10 ans
    Could you mount towel bar(s) on back side of door? You really need a door, and 30-in. is a normal size.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    il y a 10 ans
    Pocket door! Will require some construction on the wall behind the dresser to the right of the curtain in the first picture. Pocket doors are fantastic and so under-utilized.
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    lucidos, phase 2 is removing all the builder white tile around tub and in shower. Tile will go up to the ceiling for shower. The tile will be the same as the floor. Also includes replacing tub faucet and shower glass. I was in quandary as to how to do the tile but it's all coming together I think. (You can see a lot of the before pics above). One thing leads to another of course. I thought the side splash was cut short. There was damage to the wall in the demolition plus the wall isn't square. Piddled around Home Depot and found the attached mosaic which is a bronze brown, black metallic finish which I will use to cover that wall's damage. Then I found a tile design that inspired me in a bathroom found on Houzz. I'll post that next. So that brings me to the rest of the photos. One of the last things I'll do is dress the original light fixture which started it all. It's pretty fancy. See some of my other posts. Also I'll be framing the large builder's mirror (thx to the handyman for saving it!) with a mirror mate frame. I've ordered lots of samples and with each change that's done, I pick a different frame. Right now it's the brownish bronze one with the mosaic tile that's on the floor as that's the tile which will be continued. The photo with all the frame samples has the type of shower glass I'll use. You have no idea how thrilling this has been. I just go in there and admire....
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    mjlb, see my photo from 3/7 which shows that I did mount a larger towel bar on the back side of the now installed door.

Mike, pocket door wasn't feasible and hence a regular door which was just finished (see above).
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Hope this works. Here's my inspiration for the tile pattern. I found the mosaic tile which has five rows and of course can be divided as shown in the pic. I've read not to introduce too many types of material and this is the just perfect solution with the granite and the existing floor tile which will be used for shower/tub surround. Can hardly wait! Also I'm open to any suggestions. My paint color is Behr's Ethiopia which is a darker greige. In different light, it's silvery, then brown, and a hint of green - simply lovely dahling! I'm like a kid in a candy store!!

Traditional Bathroom by Saratoga Springs Architects & Designers Plum and Crimson Fine Interior Design
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    maureenroth - you made me laugh. you have a cat, I have a three-legged yorkiehauhua who can get lost in there also. he sleeps with us. He loves all the softness and is so spoiled. he has his water cup at my bedside and will wake me up during the evening to grab a sip. He's the king, so he thinks anyway. truth be told, he is!
  • lucidos
    il y a 10 ans
    You better not ever sell your home you won't be able to part with it :)
  • happynons
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    lucidos, How did you know that? I've put my heart and soul into it. What's aggravating is that my style has changed since I've started and changing things, moving things around, etc. has become my hobby. My family wonders how long a particular sofa is going to last and they have dibs on it when it becomes available. Take a look, if you can, at my other post where no one responded, when I asked about furniture placement in my frontroom/diningroom. I ended up moving things around but getting ready to tackle something there again as I'm not happy with the outcome, esp. the wall stuff. I'll see if this link works:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/furniture-placement-help-dsvw-vd~886338
    Tx!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».