Houzz Logo Print
donaldmkreke

Purchased land and need to build a home

donaldmkreke
il y a 10 ans
We want about a 50000 sq, ft. one story home with a three car garage. We like Tuscan/Mediterranean style. We like open beam vaulted ceilings and want 4 bdrms, a home theater, gym and office. We like arches and a grand entrance with some stone work. We just don't know where to begin to advise an architect as to what to design.

Commentaires (7)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    il y a 10 ans
    First of all, start with a budget, then expand it about 30%. Be realistic. Then draw a floor plan that you like....think about all the features and visualize what your home would look like. Search the Ideabooks here... Pour over planbooks and websites like "Dream homes".
    donaldmkreke a remercié Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    il y a 10 ans
    You are on the right track with defining the style and function requirements. Agreed with looking through photos and floor plans and saving the ones that interest you before talking to an architect.
    donaldmkreke a remercié Dytecture
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    Start with paying off the land and making any needed improvements to it while you are doing research. Bring in the electrical. Build a garage to hold construction supplies. Do the perc test for the septic. Once the land is paid off, more money can go ito savings for all of the cost overages that will occur. Go on local home tours and talk to the builders who did those homes. Ask about who designed the homes. You're both looking for an architect and a builder, and finding people that have worked well together before is key to having things go smoothly for you.

Remember that building custom instead of cookie cutter comes at a premium. It costs more to do that than buying an existing home, so be sure that you have an above market budget to see you through to the end. Many homes suffer from early stage upgrade-itis and later stage penny penny pinching. The money gets spent on early decisions, and late project items like cabinets and moldings and landscaping suffer and don't get done to the original planned quality level.
  • donaldmkreke
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    The land had to be paid for with cash. That's the only way to get a construction loan. Many interviews to be had with perspective contractors and architects and queries to be made. Wish I was retired so that I could dedicate all of my time to this! Ha ha!
  • PRO
    Silverthorne Home Builders
    il y a 10 ans
    We have many custom clients that have found us through Houzz Pro! You can go ahead and search for a home builder in your area and most will have photos of their work. I totally agree with the suggestion above in regards to creating your own idea book with some inspiration pictures, but I would also suggest meeting with multiple builders and their associates to see who you mesh with both personally and professionally.

Best of luck! It sounds like your home will be gorgeous!
  • Architectrunnerguy
    il y a 10 ans
    50000 SF???
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».