Houzz Logo Print
shanhouse

Feedback on pocket doors?

shanhouse
il y a 10 ans
I am putting on an addition for my mom. We will share the kitchen. I'd like to put in a pocket door between her living room and the kitchen. My concern is that two contractors have warned against pocket doors. (Coming off track, etc) Does anyone have any positive/negative feedback to share?

Commentaires (9)

• bears72
    il y a 10 ans
    Have had a pocket solid oak master suite closet door for 14 years. It is a little heavy but no trouble with off the track or any thing else. Much better then door to bang into or take space!
  • dclostboy
    il y a 10 ans
    Just don't get cheap on the hardware. I've never had issues with pocket doors coming off track. I like the locking piece to have a swing arm rather than a button...easier to operate in the dark.
  • hanna1984
    il y a 10 ans
    We have pocket doors that seperate our den and kitchen. They've never slipped off track and are not heavy. We also have a pocket door that closes off our master bath from our bedroom. The only problem we have had is the finish is marred on the double doors going into the den. The one in our room is painted and looks great. Our home is about 30 years old. We are very happy with them. Insist that your builder use high quality products. Using pocket doors means no electric outlets and no light switches on those walls. Lighting and ceiling fans can be turned on and off by remote controls. Factor in extra electrical outlets on other walls for lamps, computers, etc. :)
  • ballyhoogirl
    il y a 10 ans
    We've had pocket doors in our house for 20 years. We love them and wish we had even more than the two we have. No problems with heaviness or going off track.
  • PRO
    Silverthorne Home Builders
    il y a 10 ans
    We are seeing pocket doors requested in many of our recent custom homes. Our home owners are very happy with them thus far and we continue to get new clients that request them. Definitely something that seems to be coming back.
  • grobby
    il y a 10 ans
    I have several pocket doors and love them. It's all in the builder putting the door in correctly. I would first ask if they have ever installed one. Many old homes have them and they work beautifully.
  • dooders1981
    il y a 10 ans
    We have some that are 30 years old and great shape and many new ones In our remodel/ addition. On two powder rooms we have the full view / blurred glass doors. Soooo pretty and beautiful. We replaced a couple of walk-in closet doors with pockets too to get full access to the closets and love them. Have one between kitchen and laundry room too. We bought very good quality and our builder used high quality hardware. No problems at all.
    We are going to put one on master bath cause I hate the way the door swings into our master and I have to walk around it to get to the part of master with shower and toilet.
  • PRO
    By Design Custom Home Concierge
    il y a 10 ans
    Today's pocket doors come in their own self-contained system. Installed by a contractor that knows how to work with them AND making sure you have enough vacant wall space to install them, you will have a beautiful and space efficient solution that you will enjoy for years.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».