Houzz Logo Print
carolkp

Kitchen flooring for 1844 house with Shaker design cabinets

carolkp
il y a 10 ans
We have selected the cabinets [Shaker style] and are struggling with the flooring. Vinyl sheets are our choice for numerous reasons but don't want something that I will be constantly be explaining "No, its not wood....no it's not stone." The manufacturers' web sites are very unhelpful-except Armstrong's. I dread going back to the store and lifting all those heavy samples. What design suggestions do you have?
Carol

Commentaires (7)

• PRO
    Hauptman's Floor Covering
    il y a 10 ans
    One of the best things about Luxury Vinyl is its ability to "fool" the eye and look like the real image of what you are wanting. If you found a vinyl that looked like vinyl (so people wouldn't ask you what it is) would you really be happy?

We suggest finding what you love. You will be living with it daily and how exciting if your visitors think it is stone or wood! Then you know you have exceptional design taste and did it with a great budget in mind.

www.hauptmansfloorcovering.com.
  • carolkp
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks, Hauptman's for your response. My house has wide board pine painted floors throughout -the paint has been on for generations-that's how they 'protected' the floors. But the kitchen level was raised [with asbestos tiles] years ago to meet the dining room level. So it is too high to add wood or stone and I am hoping there is something that might look as cheerful as the old painted floors. They used to spatter paint the floors as well. Just thinking!
  • PRO
    Hauptman's Floor Covering
    il y a 10 ans
    It sounds like vinyl is a great option to keep the consistency in the level. I love the idea of the wood floors in the rest of the house and I think complimenting that with a stone looking vinyl would be beautiful.
    (I haven't seen it of course, but it sounds like it would detract from the pine floors if you tried matching the kitchen with a similar wood look. )

Another thought, if you don't like too much of a stone look, is to find a match that looks like traditional tile. Many of our customers are choosing a look that incorporates various sizes of rectangles to give a more modern feel and yet with the right color it would compliment the traditional wood floors and the cabinets. Just a thought, we hope that helps :)
  • PRO
    Custom Creations & Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    I lived in a turn of the century house and we had the heart pine (beautiful ) floors in most of the house. Kitchen and bathroom were not in good condition so we used the wood look luxury Vinyl planks on those spaces. It was a great look and easy care. They coordinated very well because of the matte finish I had stripped the wood floors and used a satin finish clear poly on the wood and it looked great together. Stone look LVT would work as well. I just preferred the natural wood look as we had lots of bead board for the walls and ceilings.
  • Leslie Victoria
    il y a 10 ans
    I also have a 1870 cottage with wide plank painted floors and have the same issue with my kitchen. I'm considering the Tarkett Fresh Start line for sheet vinyl in the most neutral color possible to fade into the background but now I'm wondering if I should go more showy….

Not a help but at least we're not alone :)
  • carolkp
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you-I needed to hear that the vinyl would not look out of place next to the real thing. We went looking again, yesterday, and my husband favors the Vinyl planks. Previously he had said no to them but now thinks the unglued ones would work. Now I have to deal with the backsplash issue if anyone would like to comment. We both want to avoid tile because of the grout and mold. There are some wide pine boards -12 inch wide or more- that will be coming off walls being removed. Possible to use them above a 3 inch granite rim? The cabinets are in a hazelnut finish.
  • carolkp
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi Elle: we looked at the Tarkett line of sheet vinyl yesterday and liked their selection. Problem was husband wants at least the 25 yr guarantee and what I liked was in the 10 to 15 yr. category. He thought the stone ones were nice when they had distinct lines to give depth to the stone.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».