Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Describe eclectic in one word!

Emmeline Westin
il y a 9 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 9 ans
It can be tricky describing a specific style in one word, but I hope you'll embrace the challenge!

What do you think best describes eclectic? Does it have positive or negative connotations for you?

Eclectic Stoke Newington Apartment · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (148)

• lj1116
    il y a 9 ans
    You can't make it one word it's taking the things you like and butting them to gether I think of Shaby chic as old and new eclectic
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    Acquired.
  • miniappleman
    il y a 9 ans
    Undecided
  • kathleen MK
    il y a 9 ans
    Undefined.
    There is not a one word to describe it and we use it when we can't fit a design into a particular period. Does anyone still have complete rooms of Louis XIV, Jacobean, or early American furniture? Now designers shun matching sets of night stands much less a whole room of furniture.
  • bigredkate
    il y a 9 ans
    My style has often been described as eclectic, but while I love some eclectic rooms I dislike almost as many. To me, eclectic means individual, and there are a lot of individuals out there.
  • groveraxle
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm always amused when I look at products on houzz and one of the style choices is eclectic. I don't believe a single chair can be eclectic. It only becomes eclectic when you team it up with objects in other styles.

I also think eclectic is the hardest style to pull off. There are no rules, and you generally don't know if the antique sideboard will work with the modern abstract till you actually put them together. Kudos to anyone who can put together a successful eclectic room.
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    il y a 9 ans
    unconventional
  • The big house
    il y a 9 ans
    Serendipitous.
  • Christian Guenole
    il y a 9 ans
    Wants
  • dogmom5
    il y a 9 ans
    Me!
  • larkspurproject
    il y a 9 ans
    Thoughtful
  • Carolina
    il y a 9 ans
    mix
  • libri
    il y a 9 ans
    Junky
  • Donna Warlick
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Oh Rude libri! My eclectic home is a exciting expression of my many travels and multitude of interests: artistic, musical, scientific, cultural and humanistic, a colorful cacophony of styles harmonically blended into a soothing yet exhilarating gestalt.
  • armygirl1987
    il y a 9 ans
    Interjecting your style in a way that brings calm and peace to you because it is you and because it is about you. Not sure if I said it right but I tried.
  • cabingirl13
    il y a 9 ans
    weird
  • Carolina
    il y a 9 ans
    Personality
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    il y a 9 ans
    A combination of different styles

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Williams Island - Coral Gables - South Miami - South Beach - Sunny Isles - Miami - Pinecrest - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • sondramartina
    il y a 9 ans
    Fun

or

personality
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 9 ans
    Eclectic comes from the ancient Greek eklektikos which means 'choosing the best'. This is important for 'eclectic' designs. It's not a mish-mash but a question of carefully selecting different styles and putting them together. What's interesting to the eye is the surprise in finding e.g. minimalist lights above a rustic table. As many have commented, this makes a design personal. At Avocado Sweets we like eclectic. Thanks for using our image. :)

www.avocadosweets.com
    Emmeline Westin a remercié User
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 9 ans
    That was the long explanation! If you're looking for one word, I guess it would have to be 'selective'.
  • eefrey
    il y a 9 ans
    Eclectic is your LoveMix!
  • littlemissk
    il y a 9 ans
    Exciting if well done.
  • Carmen Mercado-Leyva
    il y a 9 ans
    Broke, when you don't have enough money to decorate, you buy from garage sales and call it "ECLECTIC"
  • Sanja Planinic
    il y a 9 ans
    recycled
  • Street
    il y a 9 ans
    Self
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    Fun! (Antiques, Traditional, Tropical Woods, Art, Nautical and Natural Décor)
  • Darzy
    il y a 9 ans
    bohemian. A positive word to me. :)
  • Chris Concepcion
    il y a 9 ans
    Desire of style of who lives there...not for everybody...
  • PRO
  • libri
    il y a 9 ans
    Junky
  • Julie Welch
    il y a 9 ans
    Thoughtless
  • joanne_civitello
    il y a 9 ans
    collectiveness
  • PRO
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    libri, There is nothing junky about my house. People often ask me for help with their décor, because they find my home warm and inviting. I don't like clutter, nor do I have collections. My décor represents our sailing cruises, vacations, things of nature, and my love of art.

I found that when I had just one style as I did in my 30's, I very quickly became tired of the look. I have had my present décor (eclectic) for over 10 years, and I still love it.
  • littlemissk
    il y a 9 ans
    Eclectic ... deriving ideas, style or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. If you do a search on Houzz for 'eclectic interior design' you'll get +360,000 hits ... https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-interior-design-phbr0lbl-bl~l_58947 ... some members of this site have used this word as a description for what they're looking at ... and all the photos are different, from Victorian to the very sleek and contemporary. Rather than cookie-cutter design I think it offers a window into the personality of who inhabits the space. I think it's one of the more difficult "styles" to execute and like any interior design, when it is done well, it can be pretty darn exciting.
  • Mike & Steven
    il y a 9 ans
    Personal

I think that most of the time you would always describe something belonging to someone else as eclectic. Typically, its use is used to describe something that we cannot find the right words for, or something that we do not understand. For something that I may describe as eclectic, the creator will more than likely have a different word to explain it! I think that if the creator were to call it eclectic, again it probably means that they haven't quite figured out what it really means to them.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    il y a 9 ans
    Powerful. Fun room by the way.
  • Darzy
    il y a 9 ans
    Yes, eclectic is not junky or collective or cheap at all. Eclectic is hard to pull off because it's creative, artistic, non-conformist and exciting. And, when it's done beautifully, it can be far more expensive than any other design style. Eclectic is "breaking the rules" and looks amazing. Hard to do. :)
  • Muriel Fred
    il y a 9 ans
    I like "mélange" too Francesca Gordon.
  • Muriel Fred
    il y a 9 ans
    Eclecticism is life itself. Who doesn't like mixed flowers bouquets? Who hasn't hated one color when younger to simply love it later on? Life is not just one thing, one idea, one momentum, one and only one color, one and only this and that. It is a path comprised of many different things that grace our journey.
  • Jo DP
    il y a 9 ans
    A serendipitous adventure.
  • puffinrock
    il y a 9 ans
    worldly
  • dorad123
    il y a 8 ans

Interesting

• maria galvano
    il y a 7 ans

RICH

• PRO
    OWLarchitecture.com
    il y a 4 ans

Random

• Jo
    il y a 4 ans

unencumbered

• PRO
    Urban Luxury - Design for Living
    il y a 4 ans

2 words: past and present. I personally love staff inherited down the line from family (past) adding new things from the present trends, they can mix well together, creating a personal story, history...

• Chris Goodchild
    il y a 4 ans

Multiplicitous.

• lazidazi
    il y a 4 ans

Individualistic.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».