Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_15694544

How would you update this kitchen?

User
il y a 9 ans
I going for a clean modern look and don't know where to begin :? . I love how the cabinets are placed but want to make this my dream kitchen I can love. And imagine that both the tiles and paint are white.

Help me out guys!

I'm not sure what type of wood the cabinets are but I'm pretty sure that they "are" wood.

Commentaires (11)

• nathanrh
    il y a 9 ans
    Perhaps black upper and lower cabinetry, as well as a white back splash that runs all the way up the wall, such as allen + roth Glacier Links Mixed Material Mosaic Wall Tile (Common: 12-in x 14-in; Actual: 12-in x 11.75-in), you can find these at Lowes. I would replace the flooring, making it match what is throughout the rest of the house (wood floor perhaps? Especially if the rest of the house is carpet). You could also add a crown at the top of the cabinets to make it feel more finished instead of the cabinets just ending.
  • lisaabell
    il y a 9 ans
    That is just way too much maple color. Try making the cabinet doors above the stove area glass or translucent glass, with the interior of the cabinets painted your favorite color. Then, yes, paint the rest of the cabinets white. I don't find the backsplash objectionable really but if you put in white it will have to be a shade that harmonizes with the existing backsplash. Add some mirrors on the side opposite of the window. The floor, if you can afford it, should be high gloss color the same color as the inside of the cabinets with the glass or even open shelving.. Then either emphasize the "molded" look of the cabinets with one more color painted in a thin line around the molding, or fill in that entire curved indented space on each cabinet with the same color as is deep in the open shelving or (glass fronted) or use nathanrh suggestion of black and white. Remove the cabinets from around the window. If you need the shelf space, put glass shelves there and reserve it for your prettiest glassware and other transparent things and a plant or two..Paint the ceiling a bright color or gloss white to go with that white tile. Make the window sill a contrasting bright color. Take the "doors" off the island and put in drawers and an open shelf at the bottom for your large bowls or pots.
    OR just make the island into an eating area with storage. put a bump-out on it so you can tuck your knees under one side and sit down to tea and fruit in the morning.
    Put the island on large casters so you can scoot it around and have more flexible space. Dancing in the kitchen after dinner is always fun, but an island that won't move out of the way is just a hip bruiser. Put in three special objects or paintings that make it YOURS. If you can't afford to gloss up the floor, get painted oilcloths that bring in colors from outside, such as sky blue, to make the floor connect with the view outside the window. Or even an outdoor rug or two!
  • beautifulmaryland
    il y a 9 ans
    I think you'll need to replace the cabinet doors. It's hard to make a that kind of design look modern - believe me I've tried in my last house. From what I can see in the picture, the countertops and appliances look great for a modern design. Perhaps even the back splash. I'd recommend a laminate or vinyl floor to save money. Those materials can look very good these days.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 9 ans
    Clean/modern will probably require removal of the colonial styled doors for a simpler, sleek style. I'd enlarge and make the island more useful than just another run of countertops.
  • kkaccordion
    il y a 9 ans
    Paint the cabinets a soft white. Definitely replace some of the faces with glass & show off your tea cups, wine glasses or serving pieces; replace hardware, put in a backsplash that compliments (if you're going for white, use tiles & maybe put in a few mirrored or shiney ones). You could accent the room with lighting that is more interesting & perhaps add a little color that way. Lastly, the floor. We put in marmoleum tiles in brown & beige (a softer approach to black & white) & they are so comfortable to walk / cook on that I'm barefoot in the kitchen most of the time! You have great bones here so I'm sure you'll do a fine job in your kitchen refurbishment. Have fun.
  • allgranite
    il y a 9 ans
    Well you have a great starting point as your cabinets appear to be in really good shape. I would search around houzz for some pictures that you like and start from there. Here are some videos to watch that might give you some great ideas.

• laurihov
    il y a 9 ans
    I am in the middle of redoing my kitchen. After putting in hardwood floors & granite countertops I knew I had to do something with those awful honey oak builders cabinets but was REALLY worried about painting. I like to paint and knew I just needed to get my confidence, so I started with my island. We added unfinished wood beadboard and I painted the island an off white. (I love how it turned out and am now starting the rest of my kitchen! ) You could start small and change your island color to break up the kitchen. Your cabinets are much nicer than mine so you could leave them or eventually paint those too. Changing out the knobs and doing an updated backsplash would help too. Good luck! I know how overwhelming it can be!
  • PRO
    Riese Design, Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    If you're going for a more modern look, you have to keep "clean lines" in mind, meaning when choosing you cabinets, be sure panels are not raised - rather flat panels, or recessed panels. No curves, no scrolls, no ornate details. If tiles and paint are white, I would go with dark espresso or even black cabinets, and do the island in white. . If you don't want to go that bold, try a clay color. Clay always goes beautifully with white. Also, if you're installing new tiling on the floor, maybe entertain the idea of "wood tile". Look of wood, benefits of tile. You could even go for a whitewashed wood tile look, to keep with the "white" you're looking for. Just a few suggestions. Good luck!! :)
  • PRO
    DPC Painting & Refinishing
    il y a 9 ans
    I think you are perfect for a reface kit. They cost about half the money of new cabinets. It is a process that only takes a couple days but it is new doors, drawer fronts and veneer on the front all finished before install. If you want more info feel free to email me!
  • PRO
    DPC Painting & Refinishing
    il y a 9 ans
    It really is the easiest and cheapest way to make your kitchen new and updated and I would be happy to give you some advice. Sorry Houzz cut me off or my internet, I'm not sure which to blame! Anyway good luck on your project!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».