Houzz Logo Print
iveehill

Help! - Orangey Exposed Beams and Woodwork

iveehill
il y a 9 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 9 ans
We are in the process of purchasing a new home, and the style is something we are not used to. It was built in 1983 and feels like it is stuck in a time capsule. I would like to find a way to modernize the space and make it feel comfortable. I absolutely hate the orangey wood work and the fire place is in definite need of a makeover! The tile on the fireplace wraps around the wall and into a "mudroom" as well as covers the entire kitchen floor. Does anyone have any ideas? We will be starting with a blank slate! (The furniture is not ours - these are the listing photos). Thank you!!!

Commentaires (15)

• hayleydaniels
    il y a 9 ans
    Get some color on the walls and the orangish color of the beams won't be so prominent. Grayish and olive greens and grayish blues look very nice with that tone of woodwork. Here are a few colors that would look good:
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/rosemarysprig

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainlane

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/polarisblue
    iveehill a remercié hayleydaniels
  • iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    This is the back side of the fireplace in the "mud room." As you can see, the tile continues!
  • Mandy Feagan
    il y a 9 ans
    Oh gosh! hahaha! They really liked tile!!! That's awesome!
  • iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Haha, I'm not sure if awesome is the right word for it :) But at least I'll be able to keep it clean...we have four dogs and they love mud!
  • PRO
    Severine Secret Interiors - Go2 Design Studio
    il y a 9 ans
    Get rid of the carpet....add wood flooring. I agree with previous comments, either paint the beams a darker color or white! Reface the fireplace...replace the tiles with a more contemporary rectangular shape tile. Otherwise, it s a great looking space!
    iveehill a remercié Severine Secret Interiors - Go2 Design Studio
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    One simple way to cover any ceiling you don't like is with stretch ceiling. You can choose to leave the ceiling high and angled, or you can lower and/or level it. You can change the shape in other ways, choose from over 280 colours, or have the material printed with any high resolution image. It also comes in translucent and iridescent sparkle finishes. Please check out our website for more images and information! http://www.laqfoil.com/
  • PRO
    Andrena Felger / In House Design Co.
    il y a 9 ans
    If you are looking for a budget-freindly remodel, white paint will be your best friend. It will help you to easily update the feeling of the space. I would begin by painting the beams and other wood trim white (such as the window frames and doors). Remove the tile that is on the upper half of the fireplace and wrapping around the wall. This is throwing the entire space off. It looks like the lower brick and mantle are what was originally there. Paint the wood, brick and brass white. If you want to take it a step further, you could replace those items with a material you prefer - a nice stone in grey tones would look great. Finally, replace the carpet with wood or other hard surface flooring and your space will be transformed.
    iveehill a remercié Andrena Felger / In House Design Co.
  • J K
    il y a 7 ans

I'm curious to see how your room turned out. We are just about at the paint stage of remodeling our time capsule (built in the 90s for the 80s!). We have an orange pine ceiling and matching doors and windows. We are keeping the knotty pine ceiling, but trying to decide whether to paint the windows and doors. Leaning toward painting at the moment. We are refacing the fireplace with stone.

• iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

J K - I hate to say it, but it looks almost exactly the same except that the carpet has been removed and replaced with dark bamboo and there is new furniture. We had a baby shortly after purchasing the house and haven't done much since. We plan on refinishing the fireplace and painting the walls. I only have pictures of the floors and bare furniture without lamps, pillow, throws and rugs, but it will give you a general idea.

• J K
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

I completely understand....babies have a way of changing priorities quickly! Still, it looks much better with the wood floors. We have replaced all of our carpet with walnut floors and it already looks much better--as does yours. We have the same color windows, but we changed the trim throughout the house since we reconfigured the downstairs layout and changed the interior doors. Still trying to decide whether to leave the windows stained or paint them....Hope you are enjoying the baby--who is probably a toddler by now and getting into everything!

This was the great room in the listing photo...

Current Great Room · Plus d'infos

This is what ours looks like now....still work in process

Our floors....

• iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

J K - What a great room. I bet it will turn out beautifully!

• J K
    il y a 7 ans

It IS the "Great Room"! Just need to decide whether to keep the orange doors and trim! Sigh....

• iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

The honey oak is actually growing on me.....I don't like having it everywhere, but I like the trim around our windows and the beams more now. Maybe it would happen to you, too? I thought about painting the trim white and window frames white, but I think it would be such a pain and terrible upkeep. I also considered painting only trim white and leaving the windows and beams honey oak, but I don't think I would like the mix of white and oak trim.

• iveehill
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».