Houzz Logo Print
vintagecabin

1950's picture window in our vintage cabin....

vintagecabin
il y a 9 ans
Hi there! I am struggling over what to do with this ginormous 50's picture window, which looks dated from the exterior. I have tried to improve it a bit with shutters, but it still looks out of character with the rest of our vintage cabin. Should I replace it, and if so, with what?? A smaller window might seem too small....I also think the roofline adds to the awkward feel of the exterior. I am thinking about possibly creating a gabled roof over this space, but I'm afraid of the expense involved. I am including an interior pic as well, although the window looks better inside than it does from the outside, IMO.I would love to hear any and all suggestions!! Thank you so much :)

Commentaires (21)

• User
    il y a 9 ans
    There are three things that I don't like about the exterior. First, is the red and brown paint. There are posters on this site with photoshop expertise and maybe one will do some different color combos for you. Second is the lack of defined path leading to the entrance, and landscaping. Third, the furniture blocking the window needs to be moved away. I would reorient the interior furniture so that people seated can enjoy the beautiful exterior. I don't think you need structural changes to make it stunning.
  • crowley48
    il y a 9 ans
    I love the house. But I would paint the window pane frames maybe black. Would give some definition from the shutters, in my opinion. It's just too much red, is all.
  • Bob
    il y a 9 ans
    HI. I agree with the previous poster. The ektorp in front of the window is all wrong. Open that interior view up. I also think the reddish brown colour detracts from the overall effect. I would also recommend some pathway and foundation plantings, especially between the two ( junipers?) You have a tremendous property and house here, setting is wonderful and works with the house design, with just a little time and money you could really make it pop.
  • makaloco
    il y a 9 ans
    I think it's gorgeous as is! Particularly those shades of red and brown, and the shutters. The only problem is that the chimney brick is too orangey in comparison to the rest. Maybe it would work to paint the window trim and shutters more of burnt orange to blend better with the bricks? Since your main objection seems to be the styling, what do the other windows look like?
  • vintagecabin
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you all so much for your input!!! This is exactly what I needed to get my wheels turning! Actually, we do plan to put a rock veneer over the brick. I HATE the brick color too! I am intrigued by the thought of re-arranging the furniture, but I'm not sure how to try it so it would function for TV watching. I will attach a few more pics so you can see what I mean. We are putting a new wood stove on the brick pad, BTW. I'm glad you all seem to think that major structural changes are not necessary to salvage the exterior....I would love to explore other color combos, but keep in mind, our cabin is smack in the middle of absolute wilderness in Montana, so we need to keep it very rustic. Thank you again for the ideas!!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    -- Have you thought about installing sliding patio doors in place of the window and adding a deck? It seems natural that you would like to spend time outdoors in Big Sky country!

Next step would be to switch the dining room and living rooms - - to solve the problem of where to place the sofa - which now has it's back to the view!
  • groveraxle
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Properly-sized shutters with all trim painted any color with a lighter value might look like this:
  • vintagecabin
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Hahaha...I know! The valances do have kind of a dated vibe! :) I am actually going for that "granny's cabin", un-decorated look...sounds strange, I know! I just made the shutters and put them up, thinking they would soften the somewhat modern feel of the window in question. Hmmm....maybe I need to take them down?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    Groveraxle, you nailed it yet again! Shutters were originally made to cover windows, so his would do that if they were swung around. This change alters the design of the cabin from a 50s ranch into a REAL ranch style.
    If you simply added shutter panels to each side, so you would have 2 panels on each side, you would achieve Groveraxle's look. Let the hinges show!
  • vintagecabin
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Hmmm...interesting! I think I will try to add another board to each shutter and see how it looks. You don't think it will seem crowded with the bushes? I actually did think a lot about switching the LR and DR, but we plan to use some of the DR sq ft to expand the kitchen....also there are two necessary traffic flow areas through that room which I thought might make arranging the furniture difficult....
    I will post a pic when I get the shutters expanded, but it might be tomorrow before I get it done! :)
  • PRO
    PPF.
    il y a 9 ans
    Shutters may also be folding, sort of like bi-fold doors, so as long as the visible part of the shutter looks like it would cover 1/4 of the window, that may work too.

I like the window and the colors, except the chimney brick.

And where is the strap for the bottom hinge on the left shutter?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    -- The porch posts didn't show much until Groveraxle's magic and they are a great detail in ranch design. It might be a good idea too to add a third post on the left of the porch to complete the lineup.
  • PRO
    Teracottage-Limited Edition Artisan Sheds & Such
    il y a 9 ans
    Remove the shutters and how about an arbor over the window?
  • vintagecabin
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Never even thought of that.....thank you! There actually is a 3rd post, Sandy G., but it butts up closely against the FP so it is really hard to see!
  • makaloco
    il y a 9 ans
    I see people's point about the shutters, but the full size ones do look huge. Maybe the folding type would be best, so that they are the size to cover the windows but can be folded back to take less space on the exterior. I still prefer the rustic red over a lighter color. Depends on what sort of look you're going for, I guess.
    vintagecabin a remercié makaloco
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    -- Yes, I see the third post. Thank you - missed it in the photo! You could add a 4th down by the window so the front view of your cabin flows across the whole way.

As far as the shutters, and adding panels to each side, they could be attached so they are not fully flat against the wall - almost flat but left a little open. This would give some dimension to the wall and appear less massive.

Another solution would be to leave the shutters as is and build a planter below the window. It would come up to the window and extend beyond the shutters a foot or so. It would have the same board/batten siding painted your red trim color. Add low evergreen shrubs with your rocks topping off the soil. You will see this finishing touch from the inside. This would fill in this "hungry" part of the property. It feels like it needs a little attention and this would add dimension and bulk in another way.

To camouflage the view of the sofa from the outside, you could install café curtains inside, across the bottom 1/3 of the window. Simple, gathered on the rod, brown/rust buffalo plaid [to coordinate with the outside paint colors].
  • vintagecabin
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I still haven't added the board to widen the shutter, but I did get the materials, so hopefully tomorrow! So no one feels like a gabled roofline over the picture window would dramatically improve the charm/ cabin-y feel of the exterior?
  • wendig
    il y a 9 ans
    I like it as is also. I wish I could do this color combo on my house.
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    il y a 9 ans
    I like the house and I love the window. What doesn't work is the red and brown. And as others have pointed out remove the sofa from in front of the window it looks strange.
  • Denita
    il y a 9 ans
    As others have said: functional looking shutters with hardware that are sized right will make a huge difference. Here is a short excellent article, with photos, about shutters http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
    I like red and brown, but as grover points out a little lighter trim might work. Here is one of my favorite combo's of red and light brown (and gray) here on houzz
    Poplar Cottage - BarkHouse Shingle Siding and Reclaimed Barnwood Siding · Plus d'infos
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».