Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Best Dishwasher?

Emily H
il y a 9 ans
Have you tried different kinds or brands of dishwashers? Which one have you found to be the best?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Kosher Kitchen · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (321)

• hgpzc
    il y a 9 ans
    Don't but a Samsung dishwasher.. Very quiet but replaced the motor only after having it several months!! Now with new motor it's broken again!!!
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    Bosch. Love the third drawer and how quiet it is! We have an open floor plan so a quiet DW was needed. Wish it dried better though. Hope I don't ever need a new DW but if I do, these comments have helped tremendously. Had Kenmoor and Kitchenaid before. Wouldn't buy a Kenmoor again...didn't clean well. The Kitchenaid was good though.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    I think it's hit or miss with any DW. The ones I've had that had major repairs or failures too quickly were Kenmores and I don't know the actual manufacturer of either. I've used the current Bosch middle of the line for eight months. It cleans well, but loading isn't intuitive except for plates. Bowls are difficult and not one stemmed glass I own fits. I've learned to love the third rack for flatware, but that leaves wasted space on the first rack unless I take the utensil part out. Oh well. In time I'll get new dishes and stemware and I might even keep Bosch's pictures of proper loading available for reference. Lot's of good tips in this thread.
  • Kendra Harris
    il y a 9 ans
    I will never buy samsung again. The dishwasher stopped working because of a very small tube getting plugged. What a pain in that was to unplug it. The fridge is even worse. In the 2 years we've had it, it's needed at least 3 repairs, and collects water in the crispers. Bah! Garbage!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 9 ans
    I use to have a two drawer Fisher & Paykel DishDrawer. I loved it but I involuntarily helped them to work out a lot of the bugs. It should be perfect now.
  • evergrove
    il y a 9 ans
    Isn't nice to be able to vent? Thank you Houzz. I loathe our Thermadore dishwasher. It is very quiet indeed but it doesn't wash. I have to not only rinse but literally wash the dishes before I put them in. Worthless! The buttons promptly got stuck shortly after we bought it. The only appliance I hate more is our Thermadore oven which was repaired twice already. The self-clean doesn't work. Never again Thermadore!
  • PRO
    Aggressive Appliances
    il y a 9 ans
    You probably need to have that dishwasher serviced. Thermador dishwashers are among the best built and you shouldn't pre-wash. In fact, when using the auto wash cycle, you can't pre-wash; it causes the sensor to short cycle which will effect sanitizing and drying. If yours isn't washing well, something isn't correct.

My company is involved in both sales and service of appliances and we have found Thermador ovens to be some of the most reliable. Even the best aren't perfect, though. Sorry to hear about your repair issues.
  • imrad
    il y a 9 ans
    Bosch. Couldn't be happier. Our dw is 6 years old now, I've almost exclusively used the quick wash (I want to say it's 15 min), it's super quiet, cleans amazingly well, most dishes fit anywhere and it's never had a problem. Now if I could get my husband and son out the shower in 15 min...
  • myperfectadvice
    il y a 9 ans
    Asko.....
    We got our second one last year...and am more than pleased....!
    Ours gets put on to wash 2 times a day.....! it cleans well, drys well and dosn't leave streaks!
    i have a cutlery drawer and a cutley basket.
    it can fit large platters in it.
    I LOVE IT!
  • feeny
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    @imrad: I will be forever grateful for your comment about always using the quick cycle. I've had a Bosch dishwasher for four years and never actually tried the quick cycle. I just tried it tonight and everything came out sparkling! I will never use the longer cycles again. It never bothered me as I usually ran it at night, but this is better all around for energy use, water use, and convenience. Many thanks!
  • PRO
    Aggressive Appliances
    il y a 9 ans
    It is a common misconception that the quick wash is a more efficient setting. Quick wash does a very poor job of washing. The cycle just doesn't last long enough to wash well. Most people that use that cycle pre-rinse. If you do pre-rinse, then the quick cycle is fine. But if you are rinsing - STOP!!! That is significantly less efficient than using a regular cycle (Auto if you have a newer Bosch) with out rinsing your dishes. Today's better dishwashers typically use four to six gallons of water for a full cycle. Your faucet is typically flowing as much as 2.5 gallons of water a minute. In just a couple of minutes of pre-rinsing you will use as much or more water than your dishwasher would for a full cycle. Many of the premium dishwashers that have an auto wash or sensor wash cycle need to see debris (the proper term is turbidity) in the wash water in order to run a full cycle at the hottest temperature. If you pre-rinse, you cause the dishwasher to see less turbidity and therefor it doesn't do as good a job as it is designed to do. Because of the lack of heat and time in the wash cycle because you pre-rinsed, the dishes typically do not dry as well. When one of our customers calls to complain about a dishwasher not drying well, we tell them to quit pre-rinsing. They think we are clairvoyant to know that they pre-rinse, but we really just know how the dishwashers work. Additionally, the better detergents now have enzymes that eat food particles. If you have rinsed all of the food particles off, the enzymes can actually attack your glassware and turn them cloudy since they do not have food to eat. Be sure to scrape the big chunks off, but the little bits will be washed away at the end of the wash cycle. If you want more details, check out what the EPA says about pre-washing: http://www.epa.gov/greenhomes/Kitchen.htm.

Dishwashers today are so slow because we demanded quieter dishwashers and the government demanded more efficient dishwashers. They typically have about half the pressure of older models. That makes them very quiet and very efficient, but slow.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 9 ans
    The quick wash in my Bosch is awesome and yes the dishes get clean I don't use it for dried on food or pans but that is not what it was meant for.
  • Chris Byrne
    il y a 9 ans
    I am the unhappy owner of a Bosch lemon --its up for its second repair in a year. The first time it just completely died between one day and the next; think it was an electrical fault in the machine. Some hassle about the repair (repairer claimed that although it ran for 3 months before dying, it was an installation error).
    Now it periodically doesn't let enough hot water in for the dishes to wash. We end up with dirty dishes, with the ones in front coated with soap.
    It is very quiet, and it cleans okay when I open it up and throw in a quart of hot water!
  • PRO
    Rod Stephanchew RE/MAX performance realty
    il y a 9 ans
    We finally got rid of the "train" (Maytag) and purchased an Electrolux. So far, works amazing, and most times not even sure it is running as so quiet.
  • Dana Groulx
    il y a 9 ans
    I had a top of the line Kitchen Aid and the electronics broke several times. I've had GE, Whirlpool, Blomberg and Miele. I'm getting a new house this month and I've already ordered another Miele. I loved my last one, and have hated dealing with the others in my rental home. The Whirlpool I am currently using is the worst of the bunch. Only 3 more weeks until my Miele.
  • jeannep561
    il y a 8 ans

Whatever you do, do not buy a Samsung dishwasher. According to the technician that has been here twice, the brand new machine is working within specifications. Didn't know rinsed dishes coming out dirty were "within specifications." According to the President's office, there is nothing further they can do. Samsung does not stand behind their products. - J. Pflaum

• Frances Thomas
    il y a 8 ans
    We got a Bosch last year, which was the quietest dishwasher that I could find. We have been very satisfied with it, it is definitely much quieter than our last dishwasher and cleans well (for dishwasher detergent I alternately use Melaleuca gel & Cascade Platinum pacs ). I like the 3rd rack at the top for silverware, utensils and plastic lids. The other two racks work also, as with any dishwasher you find the right placement for items.
  • Lori
    il y a 8 ans
    Have a Bosch in one house that is still going strong after 20 years. Small, but cleans great still. Just remodeled main house and replaced KitchenAid (which was just okay) with a Bosch. It is bigger than the 20-year old one. Cleans really well and I like the option of the 30 minute cycle which I use most of the time. The only thing I don't like about it is the drying, but I was aware that Bosch uses a different drying mechanism than American models and as a result, dishes made out of plastic do not dry. However, I was willing to forego that feature for the absolutely shiny and spotless glassware. I also got the one that has the adjustable rack. I love that since my good china plates were always to tall to fit in the bottom of the dishwasher, but now do. Like all appliances, there are lemons.
  • Kaytlyn Korn
    il y a 8 ans
    I bought a kitchenaide diswasher 13 months ago and it worked well except never completely dried the dishes. 2 weeks ago...just after my 12 month warranty was up it stopped pumping water into it. had water valve replaced and still not working! looking for a new one that is more dependable.
  • PRO
    Home Reborn
    il y a 8 ans

I will be a dissenting voice on Miele. I had to replace mine (I donated it to Habitat for Humanity) because the circulation pump impeller on Miele dishwashers is known to routinely seize up if the dishwasher is left idle for long periods in low temperatures. (Hello, Miele, haven't you heard that many people have weekend or vacation homes where they turn the thermostat down when they're not there?).

Miele as much admits to the problem because they sell a $15 'hook tool' to free up the impeller shaft - a completely half-baked solution. I tried using it and it was a royal pain. I now have a cheap Whirlpool unit that works just fine.

• paddykk
    il y a 5 ans

@Home Reborn - We have Miele at our current home and like it. We are building a second vacation home and were thinking of Miele (in fact two - one was going to be used just for wine glasses ans will be in the bar area!) - I don't hear any complaints about Miele usually on houzz so was very happy that I had the dishwasher selection done with!!

After reading you comment about problems with Miele when left idle in colder temperature I'm back to the drawing board!! What did you replace it with and are you now happy with it and does it work in vacation homes where you leave it cold and ilde most of the year?

Thanks!

• Jenny
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I've been very happy with our Bosch. We've had it for 2-3 years. I think we bought the 500 series, but it may have been the 300 series. Ours is stainless with the top controls and a bar handle. I love the 3rd rack for silverware and sippy cup parts. It comes with a traditional silverware caddy that fits in the bottom rack, but we never use it. I also love that it does not have a heating element in the bottom, so "top rack only" items can go anywhere and nothing melts if it happens to fall through the rack. Loading it is a little different and takes some getting used to, but we don't typically have any trouble fitting all our dishes (family of 5). There are only a couple of things I don't love about it. The top control panel works fine, but it just seems a little flimsy and also has a slightly sharp edge that I sometimes catch the back of my hand on as I'm closing the dishwasher. I also have never been able to make the end of cycle beep silent. I followed the directions to turn the beep off, but it still beeps. We run the dishwasher every night when we go to bed, and I sometimes hear it beep when it finishes. It doesn't wake me up, but it's kind-of annoying to not be able to turn it off. I would buy a Bosch dishwasher again, and if we ever move, I'm sure I'll miss it!

Edit: I just realized I also commented on this thread back in 2014! Apparently, we've had our Bosch for nearly 5 years, not 2-3. Either way, it's still going strong, and I still really like it. :)

• PRO
    Lee Dufour Consulting
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Read through all 293 comments (whew!). Here on 12/31/2020 we need to replace our 20+ yo Kitchenaid Superba since control board went out with child-lock stuck in on position (a replacement board is available however it's shiny black instead of shiny white as on our model). Long wait times for all DW's due to so many folks at home daily. Have tried checking BestBuy for acceptable DW models available for same-day pickup at local warehouse (none available for 5-day delivery), but willing to wait a few months for what we want as personally I don't mind washing dishes with rubber gloves on.

UPDATE: Here on 01/04/2021 have somewhat narrowed down to Bosch 800 series dishwasher and trying to ascertain the differences between SHPM88Z75N ($1399, on sale at Lowe's for $1259) and SHPM78Z55N ($1149).

• lucidos
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Get the Kitchen Aid fixed.

Spray paint the panel if you really feel you have to. The new dishwashers are horrid. They take 2 (or more) hours to wash the dishes. To top it off it forces you to use a dishwasher agent or adds even more time. The controls are all electronic and failed me on 3 dishwashers. The only features I like are the tall tub and stainless interior other than that the Bosch was better than the GE Profile. The Bosch does a very good job of cleaning (500 series).

My old Kitchen Aid is still going in my last home. They don't make them like they used to. Oh and there is a spray that you can fix the racks if the old coating wore off the tips.

• zazfuzzroc
    il y a 3 ans

Sorry to cut in...

But Lucidos!!! so good to see you around, it's been a while... Happy New Year to you and yours...Xo

To all on the thread...stay safe and healthy...and have a Happy New Year!

• lucidos
    il y a 3 ans

Zaaaaaaaaazzzzz Happy New Year to you and your brood!! Also to all my old friends here.

I have been crazy busy with so very little time to do anything for myself. The days I get to take a shower I feel blessed. My older kidlets are being home schooled for now.

We have been fostering and currently I am down to 3 kidlets 14, 13 and 3 yo girls and a 2 yo boy that just left my care. To boot I am working from home in between fielding schoolwork questions and chasing toddlers with death wishes. The 3 kidlets may change in a heartbeat :) and 3 may become 4 with the ringing of a doorbell on the New Year's day. The agency likes to keep me busy.

I was out of dishwasher agent today. What a stupid thing to have to be worried about in a pandemic. My dishwasher started flashing and added 15 minutes to the cycle with no way to get around it. I was groussing about that when I opened this email....

Happy New Years to ALL and to all A LONG SHOWER!!!! Be well my friends.

• zazfuzzroc
    il y a 3 ans

Hey Lucidos!! So nice to hear back from ya! You sure do sound busy...but what a big heart you have. 🥰 I am glad you are doing well... :)

Wishing all of the gang at your house a great year ahead... No lack of excitement by you, and love too, I am sure.

I have one doing virtual...but will be homeschooled too, if they choose to open up anytime soon... just feel better that way. I give you credit...it's a lot of work.

PS I wish you warm showers in the new year... ;) and a cooperating dishwasher too.

• akocse
    il y a 3 ans

Love my double drawer Fisher Paykel. Going strong after 16 years!

• bschr
    il y a 3 ans

I am on my second Fisher Paykel. First one lasted for 20 years. The second is on it's 3rd year. No problems!

• echviola
    il y a 3 ans

Be careful only using the Quick Wash cycle on a Bosch. It’s not designed to use that on a regular basis and we’ve had issues doing that (food isn’t properly evacuated and water drained from bottom of machine). It’s a water-saving feature that will eventually result in bigger issues down the line. Ask me how I know this! We love our Bosch and it’s a quiet and reliable dishwasher when used properly.

• Glory
    il y a 3 ans

Replaced old, old kitchenaid with new kitchenaid. I almost never pre-rinse, only scrape and always have perfectly clean dishes, silverware and glassware. Detergent selection made a big difference. I use pods, not liquid or dry detergent. We also often skip, unselect the ‘dry’ option. Rare to need to hand dry anything after cycle is finished. Zero complaints!

• Lori
    il y a 3 ans

It’s my understanding that Bosch’s 30 minute cycle actually uses more water than the other cycles. I use the 30 minute cycle about 3 times a week and haven’t had any problem after 5 years.

• adp3
    il y a 3 ans

You can't go wrong with Miele. It is very quiet too!

• paddykk
    il y a 3 ans

Another vote for Miele here!

• lbucelli
    il y a 3 ans

Glory, what Kitchenaid Model did you get that you like so much?

• vallgrl2
    il y a 3 ans

We have a Asko Dishwasher, that is still working well. The secret ? Dishwashing detergent. We purchased Shaklee detergent, that is concentrated. Does not contain sand, that is an ingredient in many consumer brands, thus saving our dishwasher. Dishwasher was Built in with kitchen remodel in 2008.

• sholt576
    il y a 2 ans

I had a Miele. When it broke and needed spendy repairs, I replaced it with a Bosch. We went with the Miele because it was supposed to be super quiet and have a great lifespan. It was quiet, but the Bosch is super quiet as well. The lifespan and reliability definitely did not live up to the hype. Now, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll need to replace the DW every 5 years, so it doesn't make sense to pay extra hoping for a long lifespan.

• Memphis Forrest
    il y a 2 ans

I have a 2002 whirlpool. Getting new countertops and old sink is out. I look at reviews for new dishwashers but they all say they do not dry well. The old girl whirlpool gets super hot water and drys everything especially plastic containers. So I’m divided.

• Bari Castle
    il y a 2 ans

We love our two drawer Fisher Paykel. We have had it for 15 years so far…

• Lori
    il y a 2 ans

It has been been 6 years since we installed a Bosch. Not a single problem and still love it. would still get another one if necessary.

• PRO
    Lee Dufour Consulting
    il y a 2 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 2 ans

In my previous post in this thread in Jan 2021 on how our 20+ yo Kitchenaid Superba's control board went out with child-lock stuck in on position, though I thoroughly researched on buying a replacement dishwasher however we ended up buying the replacement board for the Kitchenaid since the wait times for appliances was so long. My husband was easily able to install following a youtube video for our specific model. Thank you to lucidos in this thread who recommended replacing the control board!

• paddykk
    il y a 2 ans

I have a Miele in my current home - no problems for 9 years so far and bought Miele again in my new build - will have to see if their machines are built to last like the ones from 10 years ago!!

• Mavis Jones
    l'année dernière

I currently have a Kenmore, purchased in 2009 or 2010. The springs on the door are shot but otherwise I've had no problem with it and it does a decent job of cleaning. When I purchased it it was super quiet. Lately, it's not seemed as quite but that may be due to the fact that I'm getting ready to start a kitchen renovation and am considering upgrading to new appliances. I've not purchased new appliances in eons. The dishwasher was the last thing I've purchased. Have not purchased a fridge since the 80s and have never had to purchase a stove. Have determined that purchasing an appliance these days is a crapshoot. Right now, for the dishwasher "upgrade," I'm leaning toward Bosch or Kitchenaid.

• Architectural Notice
    l'année dernière

I love my KitchenAid dishwasher but the drain motor/pump has failed twice. First time it was under warranty; just failed again last week (same error codes and water in the bottom of dishwasher so I assume it the same problem). Repairman coming next week but it'll be on our dime since it's no longer under warranty.

• M Riz
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

Same with my kitchenaid, I watched a video on utube and changed it myself, (about $100] its now used for the outdoor kitchen because it really was a great DW. In my kitchen now I have a Thermador Sapphire (made by Bosch) and it is a very very good dishwasher., very flexible settings, wifi connected and everything is spotless even after the quick wash (30 mins) oh oh, and super quiet, wash timer projected onto the floor so you know that its running lol and when it finishes.

• Kay p
    l'année dernière

We are on our second Bosch dishwasher. Love it. It does a great job and is very quiet

• lbucelli
    l'année dernière

What model of Bosch do you currently have that does a great job & is very quiet?

• Lori
    l'année dernière

Our Bosch was purchased in 2015 it is model SHV68T53UC. It has a red light under the front door that shines on the floor so you you know it is on because even standing right beside it in absolute silence, you can‘t hear it. And I have never had a DW that cleans like this one. I am forever challenging it with the dirtiest dish or pot, and it continues to amaze me. Bonus, never have to wile or rewipe wine glasses—not a spot to be seen! we bought a vacation home that had new kitchenaid appliances that were less than a year old. Dishwasher is OK, but doesnt quite compare once you’ve had a Bosch. But biggest tip to ensure you get the most out of your dishwasher—DON’T WASH THE DISHES BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE DW! Just scrape pieces of food off and stick the in there. DWs today work with sensors and if you put the dishes in too clean, it will sense the dishes are clean way to early.

• Kay p
    l'année dernière

Ibucelli it’s Silence Plus 44 dba

• lbucelli
    l'année dernière

Kay p, Thank you!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».