Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Black exterior paint - Yes or No?

Emily H
il y a 9 ans
A black exterior can be striking! How do you feel about it? Is it a big Yes for you or an absolute No?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Cabin in Fitch Bay, Quebec · Plus d'infos
Yes!
No thanks.
Other - Tell us below!

Commentaires (138)

il y a 9 ans
    In NZ we have homes which are of all types of architectural, from contemporary using tilt slab concrete, kauri wooden, beach cottages, brick etc and when any of these materials are painted in black they give the wow factor! Paints are so superior these days with UV protectors. I agree with comments where other materials - natural concrete, brick,or wood will compliment the darker exterior. Landscaping with mostly greens looks amazing, add some bright acapulco chairs - wow factor!
  • PRO
    Buxton Family Invests
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Black Modern/Contemporary Goth, smaller residence or in a warm climate: Absolutely not. For a large structure, black rustic forest setting, or sleek black in the city: Yes (w/oversized thermal windows for both; add teak to frame in rustic because it also holds back the moisture; chrome to frame in city), and, if you want to make your home appear smaller, and attract heat! Black in suburbia: your neighbors will hate you.
  • klas1
    il y a 9 ans
    Cool as a new look on a Victorian or Craftsman, but the problem is that these days, instead of developing individual style, people have become followers. Yes, it's striking for one unique house: but imagine when the followers "copy-cat" it as a trend!?! For example, I live in a neighborhood which, 10 years ago, had a variety of Mid-century houses and house colors colors: mostly warm, welcoming, lively hues, but also greens, whites, neutrals: the colors of life. The neighborhood had a "good feeling" when you entered it. Now there's an influx of new so-called "hip" residents, but in all of their hipness they all seem to be following the same "gray" trend. Unfortunately, with all the gray, it now looks as if our neighborhood is dying house by house! "Without vision the neighborhood perishes" - so I'd have to say "no" to this trend too.
  • shars55
    il y a 9 ans
    Klas1, you are right about people being followers. Sadly, people seem to have lost their creativity. Same thing with the inside of homes, if I see one more kitchen with white cabinets and gray walls, I think I might scream!
  • ibuyflipsdotcom
    il y a 9 ans
    In some cases
  • shelleystokes
    il y a 9 ans
    I would really analzed the environment surrounding this house...What will it look like in the dead of winter....if it is snuggled in a forest, and receives sun throughout the winter months...I say BRILLIANT! The porch color seems a bit of a boo-boo.....even cream could soften its' lines....imagine the exposed brick in time, weathering......it can work..........
  • klas1
    il y a 9 ans
    AND - now even all of the "modern" followers! I've been looking through some of the photos on Houzz, and now there are sooooo many houses pretending to be modern: but some of them are actually monstrosities! Colors have vibrations, and react to light in different ways - thereby affecting the living experience itself. There's an art to choosing color, and to good architecture and design. It's actually supposed to inspire good, healthy living and creativity: not make you feel like you'll get cancer just by looking at it (or be attacked by aliens if you're living in it)!
  • Deb Shellenbarger
    il y a 9 ans
    Love dark charcoal or deep bitter brown, but black, not so much.
  • makaloco
    il y a 9 ans
    klas1 … but on the other hand, some homes in the photos are so monotonously neutral that black would actually be a welcome change.
  • Barb
    il y a 9 ans
    Love love black houses. Check out Turner Road Architecture in Cambridge New Zealand. A beautiful house, I hope they don't mind me sharing it with you. Wished we'd used these guys to design our house and I am not affiliated with them at all.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    I think a distinction needs to be made between a black painted house and a black stained house. The original question was "black exterior paint". At least with black stain the innate quality of the wood is not lost, giving it a bit more life. Many of the examples shown are of stained houses. A black painted house like the row house example above, with all traces of the wonderful trim painted out and no contrast whatsoever, looks like a funeral shroud.
  • PRO
    Sierra Living Concepts Inc
    il y a 9 ans
    A black exterior can be striking if the proper material and color accents are applied. I love the photos Barb shared
  • moggie73
    il y a 9 ans
    Was thinking that a black exterior could become quite energy efficient in a cold climate. In warmer climes, would drive our AC bill through the proverbial roof. Here, the black would fade from the summer sun.
    Like Barb's pics, also. The proper contrast of paint, materials and textures makes all the difference.
    All of the examples make me wish for bright landscaping. Giant pots of geraniums, coleus, knock out roses ... a plan for year-round color.
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    I like the black exterior, but I would like a different color trim and door color.
  • PRO
    Quercus Gardens
    il y a 9 ans
    A black or charcoal garden fence can look amazing!
  • bungalowmo
    il y a 9 ans
    For Margo....

• nancydziharto
    il y a 9 ans
    Too much black makes the house looks like it burned in a fire. A little black for accents okay, but the whole house...very depressing.
  • PRO
    Adaliza
    il y a 9 ans
    Absolutely love black wood cladding. So very old-country and easy to add accents - greenery, white flowers etc that would otherwise be lost against a lighter exterior.
  • PRO
    Studio DEC
    il y a 9 ans
    You talking about here in Seattle? Any really dark color is going to absorb the sun on the south side and speed up the aging of the siding/paint. I have a dark brown stained home (combed cedar shingles) and you can really see the difference on the south side - nail are pulling out of the siding. I'm sure a lighter finish would have reduced the thermal expansion effect.
  • marlso
    il y a 9 ans
    Black stain or almost black slate color stain can be stunning provided the contrasting trim can carry it and has a statement to make. To me, you need gorgeous landscaping and nice detailing in the trim work--like well proportioned divided lights that will really pop with the dark house for example. With a dark house you are staging the details of your house front and center which is the idea.
  • lizthefrizz
    il y a 9 ans
    This look could be really intriguing and mysterious on some houses, but I live in Houston and an all black interior would mean attracting a huge amount of sun and heat. With out summer norm being "feels like 120 degrees," all black would be murderous!
  • runswithpoodles
    il y a 9 ans
    Mostly, not for me, but sometimes, yes!
  • mntflwr
    il y a 9 ans
    too me black works good in cool climate places...where i live it would be a Hot Box. even a black roof, the houses need an air-conditioner, for about 3 seasons. we have a white/grey roof and might use our air 4 times last summer. we have ceiling fans.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    All black can look absolutely amazing on a house with the right architecture and background, See below:
    Pic #1 - absolutely a no
    Pic #2 - absolutely amazing
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    il y a 9 ans
    I love black...black accents, black shutters, black front doors, but when it gets to the complete building...of course, you must make sure it is the right type building...before moving forward with this...
  • PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    il y a 9 ans
    Wow. Quite surprised. Never personally seen a house painted black but actually like the look of the photo shown
  • pdk920
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

I've seen some very dark-colored houses that look good, though they're mostly environmentally-unfriendly. These all-black houses are hideous; they look like the fire department got there too late to save them. I'm not in favor of telling anyone what colors they can or can't use, but I'd sympathize if their neighbors sued them for creating such eyesores.

• mntflwr
    il y a 8 ans

i like black as an accent.. but that big 3 story house on the corner ..well for 1 doesnt look real. it has a void look. that house needs to be in the woods..well hidden by trees..

• pdk920
    il y a 8 ans

If I came across that house in the woods I'd run like hell....

• mntflwr
    il y a 8 ans

if that house were in the woods ..i doubt they would have any service.. couldnt get anyone out to hook up service for it....LOL

• kathleen MK
    il y a 8 ans
    in Texas heat, oh **** no.
  • pdk920
    il y a 8 ans

No joke. Imagine trying to cool those monstrosities in a hot sunny climate.

• mntflwr
    il y a 8 ans

not in So Idaho either.. here they still shingle homes with black shingles.. ugh! ours is grey. so much easier to keep cool.

• Carmie Davis
    il y a 8 ans
    I like black, but this one looks like Darth Vader.
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 8 ans

I think black exterior paint can be fabulous. Of course there are a lot of things to consider (style of the house, heat gain, hoa, etc). But if there's a will there's a way. Black is so sleek, exciting and bold! I say black paint all the way!

• PRO
    Hall Design Build
    il y a 8 ans

I like a black house, especially the one shown at the top. And, agreeing with other people, it does just depend on the style of the house.

• mntflwr
    il y a 8 ans

the black u are showing on this house has lots of big window so u can see into the space an opposite color..the black on the other huge house also has black windows. this black looks to be stained so each of the boards have taken the stain in a different hue. only the trim around the windows look to have been painted . also the trim on the house. with paint not stain..

• Earlyseven Strikeland
    il y a 8 ans
    I live in the Philippines and my house is almost done except the exterior paint. Our weather is hot esp during the summer, will this little part of the facade to be painted black can broiled us inside? btw I'm planning to paint the attic's side white. you think guys it's a good idea?
  • PRO
    Munro's Furnishings
    il y a 7 ans

I love black, its bold yet not too flashy, it has authority and is timeless, however on the exterior of a home that is in direct sunlight.... I wouldn't want to go for it. functionally the home would get too hot and it would fade - fast. Using black as accents on some trim or finishes in small areas (like foundation, shutters, trim, doors, etc ) it would look great, but it would get so hot in the summer it might kill the gardens!

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    il y a 7 ans

Too gloomy!

• PRO
    Connie Elaine's Draperies
    il y a 4 ans

I realize that this is an old post, but we just had our house painted last week. We went with Magnolia Homes Prairie Smoke. I realize that dark colors absorb more heat, but we have a lot of protection from the elements. I absolutely love many photos that I have seen of very dark exterior colors. We decided to go for it and just love the result. It is not for everyone!! But you only live once and it is something that can be changed the next time it needs painting:)

The first photo is before new windows and paint.

• letty_inc
    il y a 4 ans

We built a couple years ago, and went with dark exterior, I love it! Ever since we finished, 2 more houses in our very tiny community used the same siding color, and door color too! Imitation is the best form of flattery!

• Aiga
    il y a 4 ans

@letty_inc it looks incredible! I wonder what kind of roof you have with this (my imagination draws a grassy green roof)

• letty_inc
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

Agia: I wish! I live in canada, and am buried in snow most of the year! plain boring shingles I'm afraid!

• annvw
    il y a 4 ans

We painted our house black 1 year ago and love it.

• mjkjrobinson
    il y a 4 ans

Yes I love black, and I would love our house to be black!

• Deb Florida
    il y a 4 ans

No thank you. Not in stiffling Florida heat.

• winkoo
    il y a 4 ans

I live in the CA high desert. Hard pass on dark exteriors.

• J.M. Downey
    il y a 4 ans

On the right house, in the right place, a black exterior can be beautiful.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

I like dark colors - but black is not one of them. A dark gray or a dark brown, certain dark greens, or blues. On the exterior of the house, it just seems to look out of place, like the house is not part of the natural landscape. And as others have pointed out - darker colors are affected by the sun, so in a hot climate, that is important.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».