Houzz Logo Print
karynmx

Need advice - Inset carpet or area rug !

Karyn Marxmiller
il y a 9 ans
We are rebuilding our home paying attention to aging issues. Hardwood floors are being installed throughout with the exception of the master bedroom and living/dining room. Since the living/dining room is adjoining the hardwood entryway, we would like to have a border of the hardwood floor show in the living/dining room. The solution proposed is to inset the carpet in the living room area (snap1.jpg). I am not so sure about this and am thinking a large (18' x 10') edge bound area rug might be a better solution. Any thoughts on insetting carpeting into hardwood floors pros and cons?

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    I have to say I think this is a very bad idea. Think about the logistics. Plywood sub floor; hardwood over top; hardwood cut to allow for carpet (how are edges finished?). Carpet installed.

Assuming you can neatly have carpet and hardwood meet. Each has its own"feel". If you are trying to accommodate aging, stepping on hardwood and then sinking into carpet and its padding would throw anyone for a loop.

Go one or the other, preferably hardwood with area rug, which can be rolled up at a future date.

P S walkers do better on a solid surface.
    Karyn Marxmiller a remercié JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Deirdre Dyson Carpets Ltd
    il y a 9 ans
    We would always recommend an area rug - it can be turned for even wear as well as easily cleaned or moved as required.

Agree with JudyG, it is difficult to merge carpet and hardwood flooring successfully and from a re-sale point of view a complete 'finished' hardwood floor has broader appeal.
    Karyn Marxmiller a remercié Deirdre Dyson Carpets Ltd
  • pagosapamie
    il y a 8 ans

This one is easy! Both! I've done this for years and it's the best of both worlds. Lay your perimeter flooring and fill in the center with 1/4" plywood and an area rug pad. Use a rug that is about 2" bigger than your plywood on all sides and just lay it over the plywood. You save a lot of money on flooring that will never be seen and you can clean or change your rug without a professional involved.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».