Houzz Logo Print
lbibeaches

Need help with kitchen window & slider treatments.

lbibeaches
il y a 11 ans
Hello,
We just finished our kitchen addition and we are trying to figure out what to do with our sliding glass doors, our 3 side windows, and a separate window across from the 3 windows ( see pictures). We had a shade company come in but I was not thrilled with his ideas. I have a few questions, whatever type of blind I use for the sliding doors do I have to match the other windows? I forgot to include our cabinets are white, our floor is dark wood porcelain, and walls are outerbanks by Sherwin Williams. I am stuck and need help. Thank you for your help.

Commentaires (17)

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 11 ans
    Hunter Douglas does have a lot of great solutions. Might want to browse their site. I think you'll like some of their treatments that won't totally lose your views when down, but still able to close them.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    il y a 11 ans
    I would put roman shades or shutters on all the windows and draperies on your sliding doors, stacking the draperies to the left.
  • PRO
    Suzette Sherman Design
    il y a 11 ans
    My first thought is why are you putting treatment on the doors? There is only 3 answers: 1) you need to block sunlight at a certain time of the day 2) create privacy 3) simply give softness to the interior space.
    Quite frankly I am not a big fan of blinds on a door. For your space it would feel old school to me. They rattle and flap when you go in and out. From what I see you have a pretty outdoor area beyond with nice green coming through the door as a vista. Unless you need the privacy, putting treatment on doors can be a bit of a pain day to day. Also seeing out windows opens a space up and extends your real estate. Your space feels quite warm especially with the wall color you selected. Additionally you have high ceilings so show them off! I would put soft flat roman shades above your door and kitchen window. You have the wall space above. Mount them to hang a few flaps down to have the bottom kiss the very top of the door frame with no trim visible. First this will give softness to the space, which is very nice. Then 2 it will draw your eye up and work with the volume of space - show if off - fill it in. It gives what I call a nice soft eye brow to your windows. You then have the option to lower them on a rare occasion to create a warm womb. I'd recommend a linen or a fabric that allows some light to filter through. If you do need privacy the roman shades can be mounted on the door. I recommend The Shade Store for price and quality. My installers rave about them. Yes all the window treatment needs to be the same given your space. additionally I would add some runners on the floor to warm the space up and offer some texture and pattern. I would not put any window treatment on the clerestory - celebrate it as an architectural feature - it's lovely!
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    il y a 11 ans
    These are great suggestions and options. If you want a different look, our products are German and bring a different look to the room.

What I would do for the sliding door would be panel blinds that stack to the inoperable side of the door. On the windows I would use plissee's that operate top down and bottom up. They all would use uniform fabrics. With over 400 different fabrics and designs we can give a nice accent to your new kitchen.

Here are some pictures that might be of interest. Good luck : )
  • PRO
    il y a 11 ans
    Suzette, how can they mount a roman shade on a sliding door? I can understand mounting it above the door, but can't figure out how you'd do it ON the door. Certainly if they do shades, they should all be the same, but I have no trouble mixing shades on the windows and draperies on the doors. I'm with Suzette on leaving the doors with no treatment at all if privacy or sun is not an issue.
  • katgeis
    il y a 11 ans
    My kitchen, though much smaller is set up the same way and I was thinking of doing the following: 1) drapes on the sliding glass door (for privacy and to block some sunlight), and 2) roman shades on the other windows. Looks great!
  • lbibeaches
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi,
    Thank you for your feedback. The reason we want some kind of a window treatment is for privacy. This is a kitchen addition on our bilevel home, from the sliders you can see through the main part of the house. We do have a lot of great views to our backyard and also a lot of light. I will check out the shade store, thank you. I wanted to do in white family wood blinds on the windows and wasn't sure of the slider. Thank you again for your help. Picture added is without the paper blinds.
  • lbibeaches
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Katgeis, I like the curtain idea. Thanks.
  • PRO
    il y a 11 ans
    Wood blinds are great! I like the flexibility they give you to tilt them to let in SOME light but not too much.
  • PRO
    Sunburst Shutters Minneapolis
    il y a 11 ans
    If you like a more uniform look you could go with a plantation shutter, which I believe would compliment your white cabinetry and trim. The slider can be done in shutters on a sliding track system or bi-fold - most likely a track if I'm reading your pictures correctly. I can appreciate that not everyone is into shutters though. I'm a bit biased.
  • PRO
    Suzette Sherman Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Yes Carolyn I was dealing with french doors today so I had FD in my mind - thanks for the correction that they are sliding doors thanks! Yup all the windows have a lovely opportunity to place a roman above.
  • PRO
    Homestead Window Treatments
    il y a 11 ans
    I agree to use Hunter Douglas Luminettes on the doors and Silhouettes on the windows. Many of my customers go with that option. Good Choice! Check out the Hunter Douglas website though and take a look at the products yourself to see what you like. If you have any questions about the products don't hesitate to ask!
  • nevadan
    il y a 11 ans
    Your windows and door are lovely. Use Roman shades. Tney all need to match. They come in many varieties. Every box store carries them. They are easy to keep clean and will look fabulous.
  • PRO
    il y a 11 ans
    I would love the look of Roman shades on the windows, but think that draperies would work better on your sliders. And wood blinds would also work well on the windows and give you light control. Tho Roman blinds are lovely, they are up or they are down, not allowing the variance in light control that their less glamorous cousins, wood blinds, do.
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 11 ans
    What a nice space and the view looks nice as well. We have a couple of options that are made in the US and more affordable than HD! First is our Symphony honeycomb shades that stack small and don't block your view and also provide privacy. Hold downs mean the shade can be mounted on the door but still move with it when it is opened and closed. You can start with fabric samples on our site. http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html If you are looking for something that combines a mini-blind with a sheer, check out Shangri-La Blinds as well. http://sheerblinds.com/
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Personally I never put shades on a sliding door since you need space to pass through, pull up, pull down, slide on the side...I would go with 2 panels curtains and use same fabric or match a blind in other windows. I like when the door is fully free of anything and you can get the light and the view !
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».