Houzz Logo Print
mscampby

Help picking colours for large mancave!

mscampby
il y a 11 ans
We have built a 40 x 28 garage/ mancave...tons of pot lights...10 ft. Ceilings. Walls will hold many many pictures and sports memorabilia. The floors will be tiled in black and Boston bruin yellow 24x24 squares. What colour should we paint...not much natural light!

Commentaires (17)

• jagood
    il y a 11 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 ans
    Do you want it to feel more cave-like (dark), or are you more concerned with the ceilings and uncovered wall spaces reflecting the light? With ten ft ceilings and lots of pot lights, I'm guessing that you don't really want a cave-like atmosphere, but more of a light filled masculine/sports space.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    il y a 11 ans
    I would consider continuing the yellow, perhaps in a lighter shade, but black would be too much I think. Perhaps charcoal gray or in wood tones, and not too high for the wainscot, And some sconces.

So has the man cave taken over 2/3 or your garage?
  • Meghan Haddad
    il y a 11 ans
    Continue with the yellow, add a black stripe or two or three ( like on the players ams on the jerseys) at chair rail level and but some Fatheads for the walls!
  • pinksands
    il y a 11 ans
    Great size space and the tall ceiling + your pot lights will keep it feeling open and brighter if you stick with a lighter and warm shade. Since you have that many lights and size I am assuming your looking more for a warm man cave than a dark theater-type room. Here's my suggestion (not sure of your furniture or taste besides the sport men's cave) so I am suggestion a few ideas:

1) consider painting 1 wall with chalkboard paint (this is black chalkboard paint so it ties in with your black + yellow theme)
    2) consider taking the color of the yellow tile to your Lowe's or paint store and ask them to match the tile to paint and then have them start working in some white paint in small increments to dilute the brightness. (This will make it a softer color than the bright yellow but still a warm shade that will complement the room then get a sample and swipe paint your wall and see if you like the shade)
    3) Since this is your "man cave" I would suggest if you planned to do any kind of extensive sports watching buying room darkening shades for the windows will keep the light out when watching tv but can be pulled back when hanging out.
    4) Also if you decide to match the walls exactly to the Boston Bruin Yellow then consider adding some non fancy wainscoting (it will keep clean and brighten the room in white) and then above the wainscoting you can paint the walls yellow and hang jersey and sports memorabilia.
    5) Are you planning on painting the ceiling or leaving it the color it is now? If you paint it you will want to extend the wall color up so it visually adds to the height.
  • mscampby
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thank you so much for all the great ideas...my husband has one the fight for yellow...I thought it might be overwhelming but I like the idea of shading...it would break up the space. Awesome...keep the ideas coming! Updates to follow!
  • PRO
    Immersion Design
    il y a 11 ans
    What if you painted the walls yellow since he won :), and then to "frame" out memorabilia sections, paint rectangles of charcoal gray on the wall (tape off with blue tape) where you hang the collections?
  • pimms1967
    il y a 11 ans
    I vote for gray paint, goes great with yellow and is masculine. I think doing more yellow will be too much and tire of it quickly, but can add yellow and black in accent decor. You want the sports memorabilia to stand out and be the show pieces, not "obnoxious" walls. There's a new Houzz article on using light grays:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-light-gray-stsetivw-vs~5513426

Other ideas: craft a floor lamp out of hockey sticks, throw pillow out of a jersey, hanging plant using a goalie mask, use the pants to create a standing cooler with socks and skated legs/feet. I liked the painted chalk board suggestion, then hubby and buddies can create their own plays.

Have fun!
  • PRO
    C Wright Design
    il y a 11 ans
    HI! I love the chalkboard idea for one wall. It could also look great to clad the walls in old barnside wood. Very retro sports bar! Good luck and don't forget to add some human scale light to balance the down lights!
  • mousemaker
    il y a 11 ans
    try googling Lascaux.
  • PRO
    Christine Austin Design
    il y a 11 ans
    If you are working the Bruins theme, then I would suggest the away jersey. Create a chair rail and/or crown with horizontal bands of the black and Bruins yellow...I like the chalk board paint idea...that would work well as the backer wall for a tv screen and makes an excellent score board. One wall could be black for this and memorabilia items so it isn't so overwhelming.
    Have some fun with it. I think a lighter shade of yellow would make it less "manly" so go big or go home. Black leather furnishings would finish off the look as well as black cabinetry. Its hard to say without knowing all the details of the space but I'm hearing Bruins as a theme so work it!
  • PRO
    Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
    il y a 11 ans
    I think Immersion is on to something with the color blocking idea. How about the walls in white with the floating "Burins" yellow color blocking painted on big canvass? I'd take the shirt right over to the Benjamin Moore dealer to get the yellow figured out, and make some in black too. If Hubby gets tired of it, he'll only have to re-paint the canvass Have fun!
  • mscampby
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Update: We have chosen Benjamin Moore Dorset Gold for walls, white windows and build outs, white garage doors and entry doors, Baseboard, casing and drink shelf on top of Wainscotting will be in black. Floor is vinyl plank in a brown/black with some lighter gold shades. Furniture is of mixed woods and lots of black leather.
  • PRO
    Immersion Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Make sure to post photos!
  • PRO
    C Wright Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Good job!
  • mscampby
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Updates...what do you think?
  • mscampby
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Building the bar is next!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».