Houzz Logo Print
erica_soto

Cracked round mirrored table. Paint or Decal?

Erica Soto
il y a 11 ans
I love this table but it is cracked and I would like to paint it. I've googled some designs but nothing came at that I loved.

I've also considered fixing it but I don't know how and how much. I got it for free on CL but don't want to get of it.

Also where should I place this at. I know too many questions but my mind has a beautiful imagination however hands aren't creative at all.

Commentaires (24)

• anniehaff
    il y a 11 ans
    You can have a piece of glass or mirror cut for the table to bring it back to new! I would suggest calling different stores to see their pricing. One thing I have found helpful is actually to call a consignment shop and ask who they recommend. I've found they have great suggestions!
  • Erica Soto
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    The glass would be a pain to install.
  • anniehaff
    il y a 11 ans
    Ah, understandable and yes, you would most likely ave to have someone do ha for you. How about putting a round top on it? I can't see it being painted, but perhaps you could just cover the crack with an entirely new top?
  • houssaon
    il y a 11 ans
    I think it would be very expensive to get a round mirror to replace it. But get a price quote so you know. You could cover it with a runner if it isn't going to be used for meals.
  • PRO
    Immersion Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Is the the mirror just setting down into the frame? Also, how big is it? If you are located in the DC metro area (DC, MD, and VA) I have a great glass/mirror shop to recommend with competitive prices...
  • champy00
    il y a 11 ans
    I would just replace the top..it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    il y a 11 ans
    Replace the mirror - look up in the yellow pages glass/mirror suppliers.
    Measure the diameter and buy a new mirror.

If your cute they'll take the old one out, and put the new one in for you at their shop.
    You'll have to pay for the mirror, but should only be $100.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    il y a 11 ans
    How about clear or black glass instead?

My first thought was to paint or stencil along the crack like a bit of delicate vine or floral ornament in white or cream and grey. Or do something more stylized--even Art Deco or Mod. Then it would look somethink like a Venetian mirror. Or maybe artistically wavering over the crack and a lattice type pattern on one side, maybe with a bit of oversized roccoco like leaf pattern on the edge. Then it would be sort of Hollywood Regency in style. If you have some talent or know someone, it could be cheaper and easier than full replacement.

Like the desilvering idea too, and they could be combined, perhaps even doing a bit on the sides too if you are feeling brave..

How big is it? Coffee table, side table, tea table or dining table? Don't know your house or decor so hard to say where to put it.
  • elcieg
    il y a 11 ans
    Cover it with a sticky backed shelf paper (there are many choices). This vendor will cut to your measurements.

Chic Shelf Paper Aluminum Diamonds Shelf Paper & Drawer Liner · Plus d'infos
  • Darzy
    il y a 11 ans
    Here is a weird idea...how about cracking it some more? I once saw a tv designer break mirrors and put in on a FP surround and grouted it. It looked awesome. Maybe you could put a towel over the glass, carefully hammer and crack the mirror in a mosaic pattern? Then polyurthean the top to seal it?
  • Darzy
    il y a 11 ans
    You could also cover the top (leaving the beveled edge) in a wood veneer (it's very thin) and stain the wood to match.
  • Erica Soto
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Here are the measurements:
    20"Hx42"W
    92 lbs

I really love the calligraphy idea but the mirror is embedded under the wood not on top. I was also thinking of changing it, only if I could, to a wall mirror once I got it fixed
  • diehardmom
    il y a 11 ans
    Don't laugh............find a really cool beaded table runner and camoflauge the whole thing by lying the runner right across the cracked area?
  • xtalivy
    il y a 11 ans
    Erica,
    Spend some time on Pinterest.com - input whatever words you want and see what comes up. You'll find a barrage of ideas there. If you are crafty, then try something yourself. What do you have to loose? And at least, you'd have the satisfaction of trying it yourself.
    Xtal
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 11 ans
    Consider breaking the mirror some more - like into pieces. Then put it back together like a mosaic. You'll get more sparkle from it in pieces!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    il y a 11 ans
    How about breaking out the existing glass and replacing it with mosaic mirror tile? Or, you could remove the existing mirror and replace it with fabric or paper or whatever - you could use anything flat - and then pour resin over it.
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-glass-mirror-mosaic-tile-94031
    http://www.epoxyproducts.com/bartop.html
  • ayshah1026
    il y a 11 ans
    The exact same thing happened to me WITH THE EXACT SAME TABLE!!! It just happened today and I was researching ways to fix it and came upon this site! What did you end up doing to fix the huge scratch and/or crack? If you replaced the glass do you mind sharing how much it cost? What instructions dis you provide the glass company? Any guidance would be so appreciated! This is my favorite table ever! Thiking of calling the Home Decorator's website (where I bought the table) and complaining to them about this situatiOn! Please do let me know how you resolved the problem!
  • xtalivy
    il y a 11 ans
    I wrote 2 months ago. I'm figuring that you've solved your problem. Can you tell us what you did?
  • User
    il y a 9 ans

Erica-I know this is an old post, but hope that you can tell us how you fixed your crack. The same thing happened to both of my bedside nightstands-large crack running through the mirror top. I'm not even sure how it happened...we are always careful when placing something down on them. I've had them over 6 months, so I can't return them to Pottery Barn-and don't want to replace the mirror top bc I'm sure it could happen again.

• jackalemba
    il y a 9 ans

HELP!! Me too!! I have this exact table and I literally have the same crack....I got a quote to replace the glass and it was $400....and since the table only cost $500 I don't really see that as a good option. What did you end up doing with this table???

• User
    il y a 9 ans

jackalemba-I had the same thing happen to both of my mirrored bedside tables. I got them from Pottery Barn, so I called customer service and e-mailed them pictures of the cracks. They are replacing both tables-free of charge! Great customer service! Hope the glass doesn't crack again, though. If I were you, I would call the company you purchased the table from and ask them very politely how you should proceed. Good luck!

• jeffax
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

** Oops, I thought I was posting this to jackalemba, since this post is a few years old, but I guess here works also, since this is relevant information to anyone who would likely be reading this... ** What follows is my original comment:

jackalemba - Came across your comment while checking out that other post...

Do you have any idea how your glass cracked? I'm a contractor and also build cabinets and do some furniture repair, so I've worked with quite a bit of glass... Thought I'd just make a couple of suggestions...

As far as HOW it cracked:

If it was due to something being dropped then, well, not much I can tell ya. Haha (•_•)

However, if it cracked simply due to something only moderately heavy being placed upon it, that's due to a lack of support. From reading the other lady's post, I get the impression that the underside is closed off? (Meaning there's a thin piece of wood that the mirror lies upon.) If this is the case, the new mirror needs to be bonded to that piece of backing. (I'm betting the manufacturer didn't do that.) Get a tube of MIRROR MASTIC from any hardware store and apply it in lines going back and forth, a few inches apart, over the entire surface that the mirror will be lying upon. Now lay the new mirror down in there and place a few pounds of weight on it overnight, (a gallon can of paint right in the middle would work great), and you're good to go the next day. Gluing the mirror to a backing, something even as thin as 3/16" - 1/4", makes a substantial difference in strength. And, if you were so inclined, you could actually bulster it even more by simply turning the table over and gluing another piece of wood to the underside of the existing one.

Now, if there was no backing before, and that original glass was not supported, then it should be. 1/4" MDF would work great and it's very commonly used for that. I'd probably choose a thin plywood though, if it were mine. Either way, glue the mirror down to it first, (lying on the floor, lots of weight on it overnight), and then install it in the table.

Sorry, but since I can't see the table in person, I can't tell you how to go about removing the old/installing the new mirrors.

An FYI for the sake of knowledge: mirror mastic is what's used to apply big mirrors to walls, such as when doing a huge wall-to-wall mirror in a bathroom. In that case, it's silver dollar-sized dabs no more than roughly 18" apart. Make sure the mirror is supported overnight, remove the support the next day, and the mirror will stay there the rest of your life. This exact same method should ALWAYS be used if ever installing a mirror in a floor-standing frame. This gives it more strength to withstand clumsy impacts from children, plus, if the mirror ever is broken, this will prevent large pieces of broken glass from raining down on the child!

Good luck. Cheers!

• User
    il y a 8 ans

Both my mirrored nightstands came from Pottery Barn. I sent them pictures of the cracks, and they sent me 2 new tables free! Great customer service, I would say! So far, my new ones are holding up fine.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».