Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_sweden

Need advice on small bathroom updates!

Elizabeth Sweden
il y a 11 ans
Hello everyone! I would really appreciate any advice! I have a very small bathroom and small budget to match. Please let me know what minor and cost effective ideas you have for me to update this plane bathroom. I have bought the black light fixture below and am now stumped if I should get a black or chrome towel bar and accessories. I am thinking of painting the room light silver but am open to options. I would love a glamorous spa look.

Commentaires (22)

• PRO
    Immersion Design
    il y a 11 ans
    I agree with keeping it consistent. If you are open to changing out the sinks/faucets, you could either get black accented faucets, or completely dark faucets. Updating the countertop alone will be huge, and you could re-use the sinks to save money. Just make sure that if you buy new faucets that they match the current ones for installation.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    il y a 11 ans
    Using more black will not create a spa feeling. You want it calm and serene. Black is to sever to accomplish this. A inexpensive way to make your mirror look good is a frame. Check out mirrormate.com it is a great source for this. The color you choose should be monochromatic to everything in the room. Light tans with your tub looks like it might be best. Either return that light or paint it.
  • apple_pie_order
    il y a 11 ans
    Is the tile white, off white or pale pink? What color is the countertop? Everything looks beige-pink on my screen.

Is this a family bathroom used everyday by more than one or two adults?

Will your budget eventually or currently include a new countertop (~$500 and up (in my area) including professional installation and re-installation of existing sinks and faucets) or is it currently for a new light fixture, paint, knobs and towels?
  • Victoria LeResche
    il y a 11 ans
    PAINT will be your friend if you want to achieve a calm, serene feeling in this bath for little money. Repaint walls, cabinets and the ceiling. I agree with the guy from Interiors International..... stick to one color or different shades of one color and return the light fixture. And lose the 80's border! I happen to like large "outdated" expanses of glass in a room, especially in a small bathroom. I would keep it. Less IS more, but keep any accessories sleek and small. Granite is so overdone, but use it if you love it. I would probably opt for a more durable quartz countertop in a light color. Have fun with your project!
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 11 ans
    Pale and light with sumptuous towels should do it. Might shell out for a towel warmer. Mount decorative mirrors over the full mirror, so you retain the light but have the decor touch.
  • PRO
    Skye Interior™
    il y a 11 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 ans
    To make your bathroom more spa-like you need to get rid of those clutter: toothpaste, stickers on the wall, cleaner, rubber duck on the bathtub; etc. Keep it clean and make it neat.

If you're on a budget, you can add a nice selection of candles, bath salts and soaps. Add a plant or flowers and a nice painting. Also, add high quality towels or a basket of towels rolled up. Re-paint the cabinets and add new hard wares.

There's 'Do It Yourself' that you can do to frame your mirror.
  • 14thstreet
    il y a 11 ans
    I agree that adding black will not acheive the spa-like bath you're after. Spas are more associated with soft colors that do not provide high contrast. If you love the light and want to go that direction instead, add black accents (mirror frame for example, perhaps some black/white photography in black frames and warm color to the walls to balance the room...
    [houzz=
    Master Bath Vanity · Plus d'infos
    ]
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Bathroom · Plus d'infos
    ]
    [houzz=
    HHL 2010 - Bathrooms · Plus d'infos
    ]
  • Elizabeth Sweden
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thank you everyone for your great comments. Okay so the black light is out.. :) I'm thinking maybe silver with some type of crystals maybe? The floor and countertops are tan. I'm trying to stay around 500-1,000 max. How does everyone feel about a brown framed mirror (thank you for telling me about mirrormate! I love that idea!) and paint the cabinets brown with a light silver/gray wall paint?
  • PRO
    Immersion Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Oh I didn't realize you were ok with returning the black light fixture. So many more options! :) The existing countertop is tan?
  • 14thstreet
    il y a 11 ans
    I keep trying to picture it, but I'm just not sure that a gray on the walls wouldn't make your beige counter look a tad on the pink side since you don't have a textured/patterned tile backsplash to break it up from where it meets the wall. How about SW Sea Salt for the walls as an alternative to gray? It pairs lovely with beige and white and invokes a spa feeling.

I say keep everything light and bright. Move the chrome shelf above the toilet. On the wall where that was, by the tub, you can add a beautiful soft piece of art that's pretty good-sized. Something on canvas with texture would be lovely. Accessorize with white towels only. Use candles, sea salts in jars, natural loofah sponges, etc for a spa effect. I would stick with chrome light fixtures and towel bars also to keep it clean and uniform.

Do you have a light fixture over the tub that could be changed out for a delicate mini chandelier or crystal semi-flush-mount light?
  • Elizabeth Sweden
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    I did like the black fixture but agreed that it probably will not fit in well to my idea. I'm not a big fan of tan so I thought by painting the walls a little darker it would help to highlight the white subway tile. I love the idea of a canvas painting! I love spa tones with a touch of sparkle and glamour. The countertop is tan but I am hoping to replace it in the future.
  • kitasei
    il y a 11 ans
    There is an example in Houzz of a vanity like this painted with red resin that is elegant, fabulous, and stylish.
  • kitasei
    il y a 11 ans
    Et voila!
    Master Bath · Plus d'infos
  • apple_pie_order
    il y a 11 ans
    I think a chrome light fixture would be a better fit than the black one. The style of the black one is nice, though.

If you like a light gray or silver, I suggest you paint a foamcore board with a test sample.

You might also take a look at some wallpaper to see if you can find something with silver metallic touches on real paper backing. Don't get Mylar paper (popular for metallic "wallpaper"), though, as it is a really horrid thing to try to remove later.
  • ttmgt
    il y a 11 ans
    dark bronze thin frame oval mirror.. hung side ways....dark bronze brown faucets
  • PRO
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Hello!
    Love the idea of the light silver paint, as long as you can have countertops on your list when budget permits. In looking at the provided photos, I see the countertops as being a pink/peach tone. I see the tile on the tub surround being white. Is that right? The silver tone will work with everything except the countertops. I would not use black fixtures, but rather brushed nickel. If you replace your countertops I would use undermount sinks. You can pick up small oval sinks for about $50 ea. I can provide you will details if you are interested. Your bathroom accessories, towel bars and or hooks should match your faucets. Keep your accessories the same finish, whether it is brushed nickel or chrome. I feel as though brushed nickel is a bit more spa/luxurious feeling. Chrome sets a very modern contemporary feel. As for your mirrors, you could do a couple of different things. One you could find a couple of really neat black frames and hang them over the existing mirrors for an inexpensive quick fix. OR you could remove the large mirror, if it comes down in good condition you could have a couple of mirrors cut from that large one. You could have them frameless or pick some frames prior to having the mirrors cut.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • kathleen MK
    il y a 11 ans
    I love the lines of the light fixture.
    Spray paint can change that light fixture. I have had great luck with those hammered metal textures on metal storm doors, porch light fixtures and patio pots. There are kits for counter top transformations, but I've used appliance epoxy to change my 1970's chocolate cultured marble bathroom counter to cream. That temporary fix has only needed a an occasional touch up.
    silvery shades will work together with chrome or brushed nickel but the counter top does need changing to fit that scheme.
  • jansgirl
    il y a 11 ans
    My suggestion for every bathroom. Get rid of the towel bars. Use hooks instead. Towels never look good on a bar unless they are folded neatly (see your photo??) and life is to short to fold your towels on a bar!!
  • 14thstreet
    il y a 11 ans
    Here's the paint color, it didnt attach to my post above....

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt.
  • Elizabeth Sweden
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    I do love that paint color! Thank you I will look in to countertops as well!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».