Houzz Logo Print
seattlehomenow

Curb Appeal: Need Help with my W Seattle Home

Carla Vincent
il y a 9 ans

West Seattle House · Plus d'infos

I'm the kind of person who needs to shop from a mannequin - what I mean by that, is it's hard for me to picture something unless it's completed.

Although it has taken a lot of work to get there (removing chain link fence, nasty weedy grasses and 1 foot walkways, anyone?), right now it's blah.I recently had my house painted in anticipation of listing my house in May. Do you have ideas for curb appeal? Most people will be searching for houses online and it needs to have some impact to make them look in my neighborhood.

This picture shows my house facing East - which is the street. Notice the gray Seattle sky (sigh). I will be removing the bridal wreath plant in front, but not the Japanese Maple (too hard to uproot and move without killing it in 1 month). I also haven't placed house numbers yet. My house needs them to be seen from the street since it's out of sequence!

Things I was planning on doing:

1. Putting down fresh gravel in the parking area next to street (in front)

2. Putting 2 potted plants on either side of the front porch behind the rails, with tall conical (think arbervitea) evergreen plants and little color.

3. ?? An experienced real estate agent suggested black shutters (board and batten) to keep it looking crisp, although I'm having a hard time picturing that since the windows are odd-shaped.

4. Plant layout/suggestion? I was going to bring the photo with me to a local nursery. Since I'm selling, I need things that look good, but aren't a huge investment.

Thank you for taking time to look at my picture.

Commentaires (71)

• pagosapamie
    il y a 9 ans

You have an asymmetrical house. Large window and tree on right, small window and garden on left. Use that. Mounting large house numbers vertically on the left side of the front door will help balance the tree. Completing the walk out and around the planter to the driveway is a must. Probably large flat flagstones in gravel. Plant low junipers, ground cover and large boulders under the small window area and then take a look. I think you will find with just those inexpensive changes you will have a fresh, contemporary house. Please no window boxes, shutters, etc. This really isn't a country cottage. Your house has a very strong urban contemporary vibe. Use it.

• ann2shop
    il y a 9 ans

Another thought: it might be good to leave front porch clear of pots & plants. There needs to be room for a realtor & 1-2 buyers to open door & enter, preferable without someone needing to stay down on the steps.

• corky310
    il y a 9 ans

No to the shutters, yes to the window boxes and how about adding a little arbor over the front door/porch?

• crowley48
    il y a 9 ans
    Yes to both the shutters and the window boxes.
  • Audrey Yun
    il y a 9 ans
    Create a gravel sitting area near the front door, place a couple chairs & table &surround it with flowering bushes. Add wide trim around the door.
  • PRO
    Homes Beautifully Interior Design And Home Staging
    il y a 9 ans

Hi! I like the idea of the shutters, but if you go that route I would paint them the same colour as the front door. Also, some flowering bushes in the front might be nice? Wishing you good luck with your project!

• diyer59
    il y a 9 ans

First, let me say the color combo of taupe, cranberry and white is an excellent choice (my home in Sequim was the same combo!). Second, you need landscaping around the foundation. Since some windows are higher (not low and would be obstructed) you can get away with some nice bushes, some with pops of color, but sticking with some dark green leafed mainly. Barberry bushes (my favorite and I had them at my home) pick up the cranberry color on the door, stay lower so plant towards the front of the bed, low maintance too. Then concentrate on a few larger dark green leafed bushes or evergreens (lower growing conifers), maybe to put towards the back of the beds.

• anne dee
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans

You could use larger framing surrounding the windows and door.(no shutters)
    Is it possible to extend a porch at the front
    ref/inspiration pic

Northwood · Plus d'infos

• ebc3
    il y a 9 ans

I think it would be great if you could complete the other side of the wall (or get someone else to). Replace the broken stone at the base of the wall steps. Move the shrub to the

other side of the house for balance. Refresh the stone/gravel in front. You can use an herbicide to kill the plants growing in the stone. Edge the beds adjacent to the walk with flowers that pick up the color in your door. I would plant a low evergreen ground cover behind them (possibly a juniper).

The wider molding on the door, right window, and above the garage is shown. One image shows the look of a flower box the other without.

• mick50
    il y a 9 ans

Ooooh... great job, ebc3! Perfect! Could you add some large red or black vertical house numbers on the left side of the door? Or horizontally above the garage? Homeowner -- if you do these few things, your curb appeal will be great!!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    il y a 9 ans

To look right, shutters must be of a size to actually cover the window. This would be very awkward with the horizontal orientation of your windows AND it would draw attention to the fact that they aren't the same size as you fear.

Balancing the small window side of the house with a foundation planting as illustrated in ebc3's post looks like the way to go and I like the flower box idea as well. The shrub there could be even closer in to to the centre (by a couple of feet) to fill the visual space below that window unless there is a side walk there we're not seeing.

Carla Vincent a remercié Elizabeth Minish Design
  • Nicole Williams
    il y a 9 ans
    The front door of itself is a little plain...what about painting it white and the garage door white to break up the beige monotony. what about a knocker on the door
    Carla Vincent a remercié Nicole Williams
  • J Corn
    il y a 9 ans

Am I wrong or isn't Seattle a hot market? I am no expert but my son sent me home photos with shockingly high prices and they all sold quickly. None had 1/2 the curb appeal of yours.

So I'd freshen it but not go crazy on spending. I think buyers will look past the exterior if the home is solidly built, has a newer roof and water heater,etc.

However, real estate agents in the area can provide more accurate details. That's just my take based on the sales I've seen so far.

Carla Vincent a remercié J Corn
  • houseofflowers
    il y a 9 ans

The small window is strange size, I would dress it up a bit.. The front door color is ok, how about lighting on each side of the doors.. Planters on the stoop ect... It will come together..

Carla Vincent a remercié houseofflowers
  • Nicole Williams
    il y a 9 ans
    A new front door if painting is not an idea you like. love the lantern there are many contemporary choices around
    Carla Vincent a remercié Nicole Williams
  • crowzen
    il y a 9 ans

No need for shutters and window boxes, as several have commented, this isn't a country cottage. I like the asymmetry, and the

Az Bungalow Modernized · Plus d'infos

clean lines and colors you've already achieved. No need to dig up the bridal lace plant. I'd replace the cement block with a low poured cement wall, textured with horizontal boards, put big modern #'s on it, and "match" it with a low horizontal fence on the left yard, just like the front walls in pic.

Carla Vincent a remercié crowzen
  • acm
    il y a 9 ans

Just wanted to add I think you need a set of black house numbers and a matching porch light both to the left of the front door.

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    il y a 9 ans

Wow! You certainly have drawn the free advice. I like what ebc3 has suggested, but have to offer my advice, since you asked.

a. Don't remove the bridal wreath - it helps separate the guest from your cars and the 3-6' drop, they may have kids in tow.

b. Just give the grassy gravel guest parking a bath that will kill the green stuff, you only want gray stuff, and replace the bottom step with a larger flagstone or cast concrete slabs for a happy landing.

c. Put the porch plant only on the left. The space is so small, the quest will brush a pot on the right en route to the door or, when departing, it will be awkward and damage their happy mood.

d.Whatever is green on the ground on the left of the walk, continue it over to the walk. If it is grass, buy sod of the same variety. You need to balance the left side with the car-heavy right side (I would also put drapes in the picture window so the buyer will not realized their big window looks out on Detroit.) Tell your nurseryman to show you one large full-headed shrub or a group of them to place at the left house corner and beyond, but will not grow into the utility wires, at least until have had the real estate closing.

e. Additionally, especially if showing the house in the evenings, when more couples can come for a look, place a post lamp at the left of the front steps - and attach your number sign to that.

f. Let us know what you need when you buy your next house, we'll be watching. Good luck.

cascio.offsite@gmail.com

Carla Vincent a remercié Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
  • Carla Vincent
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Wow....I am in awe of all if your contributions. I had no idea what to expect. eb3 thank you so much for the mock-up because I have a hard time picturing without it.

Seattle is a hot market, but my street isnt in the hottest area. It's up and coming, though, with 4 houses going up for every 1 house torn down...

I know every one shops via zillow and online listings, so I need them to take a chance and come see my house.

Budget is a concern, so I will do what I can. I probably won't touch the big picture window because it needs to be replaced.

I promise I will post the final picture! I am still working on way to many little indoor projects. Why does it feel like crunch time???

Thank you again to each and every one of you. Cheers.

PS and when this is all done and sold, I still need to purchase a house!
  • ashtonchic
    il y a 9 ans

I would put a couple of white hydrangeas on the left side in front of the small window to fill up the space. Then I would prune the tree and clean up the bridal wreath. I would put very colorful annuals on each side of walkway and in the planting area in the front. Check with a nursery to see what will give you the most color when you want it. Clean up the gravel in front. Don't plant junipers or other evergreen shrubs in lawn area. If the lawn is not great, get some fertilizer with weed killer to put on it - maybe aerate. (We moved from Seattle area 2 yrs ago!) Good luck! Our house sold in 12 hours for $5000 over the listing price. Get some really good photos taken for your online listing.

Carla Vincent a remercié ashtonchic
  • crowzen
    il y a 9 ans

good pics are the best advice

Carla Vincent a remercié crowzen
  • terpsma
    il y a 9 ans

Yes on fairly large black house numbers to the left side of the front door with a light above, make the window and door trim all the same size - 3 1/2" +/-, white, with a 3/4" black edge painted near the glass, yes on bringing the grass to the left side of the sidewalk, might not be worth the cost, but a small trellis above the garage door to recess it a bit could help

Carla Vincent a remercié terpsma
  • ocrose
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree that that both the windows are odd size so nix the shutter idea. Could you find flower boxes that would provide symmetry with the two different size windows?

Instead of pots flanking the door, how about planter boxes that can hang over railing? This would keep the space at the entrance step.

More flowers around tree and left side of path (where there is mulch.
    Carla Vincent a remercié ocrose
  • rmoore4509
    il y a 9 ans

I agree with those that say thicker framing around the doors and windows. No shutters, they would be out of character with the style of the house. Adding a similar stone wall to the left of the walkway, but keep it small. Put in bigger pavers on the step landing on the gravel or remove what is there. Don't put flowerpots next to the door. It will only feel cramped, instead keep them on the side of the steps below the rails. Like the photo shopped pictures. You can plant with inexpensive annuals. The house numbers add weight to the left side. I would even make them a little bigger. No widow boxes. If I were keeping the house, I would add a few feet to either side of the front door landing add a peaked wood cover over the front entry and replace the metal rails with wood ones. Probably stain the wood a dark brown.

• Faith Girton
    il y a 9 ans

your house will have even more charm with a front porchaddedon with a classical overhang nice pillars,and then a gazebo over hang above the garage.I feel it would really give your place a pop!

Carla Vincent a remercié Faith Girton
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans

Hey there! I'm from Redmond, fun to see a PNW question pop up in my email.

1. Love the red door -- it would look great with wider trim (to match the window on the left). I would paint the door trim to match the house (and count on the wood boards to give it contrast, instead of outlining in white, which is making the door look skinny).

2. Your path is really pretty. The mulch on the left side is too narrow, I think -- I'd make it as wide as the path. Then, plant three round, leafish somethings (2' balls) in the middle of the mulch. Azaleas? Roses? Blueberries? Something with speckled leaves? Talk to a nursery and bring an photo, they'll have good ideas. And I'd remove the cement block to the left of the path.

3. Agree with all the anti-shutter, pro-left-window--box folk. That would look awesome and so much more balanced.

4. The front bed looks like gravel, overgrown with moss? Several rounds of moss-killer and enthusiastic raking -- it will look much better.

5. I like the idea of balancing the beds and adding flowers, but it might be cheaper and easier and just as effective to add a statement planter on either side of the end of the walk (and you can take it with you when you go).

6. With that lawn and the light, if you want to invest more, you could ask Seattle Urban Farm Company or similar for quotes for setting up a large container garden or two at street side with ornamental/edible gardens. It might play well -- very Sunset Magazine?

Good luck with the sale!

Carla Vincent a remercié Susan
  • misseddyg
    il y a 9 ans

Yes definitely on wider trim, but go black -- it will formalize the house and pick up the wrought iron around the door. Get a magic marker and draw in the black on a printout -- you'll see!

Carla Vincent a remercié misseddyg
  • ashtonchic
    il y a 9 ans

I would not spend a lot of money doing too much on the outside of the house, such as doing more trim etc. Let the next owners use their own creativity. The main thing is to get them in the door. Make the interior spotless. Paint and declutter. If anything is missing or broken, spend your money there. Good luck!!

Carla Vincent a remercié ashtonchic
  • misseddyg
    il y a 9 ans

You won't need luck selling -- it's a seller's market, with rents as high as they are in Seattle! Even those new places going up on Fauntleroy won't be cheap --

Carla Vincent a remercié misseddyg
  • magilojoh
    il y a 9 ans

@Seattlehomenow-I like many others on here just love your house like it is & our ideas to you are just that-just ideas for you to think about maybe do a few. I just love houses like yours in Seattle. They are well built-not thrown together like so much of today's builds. And even though you say your street is not in a hot market per se-one of my dearest friends bought a new house (on land of one that had been torn down) & purposely bought in a not hot exactly area where it was undergoing gentrification (like many neighborhoods in Seattle). They didn't want a new house but felt they needed more space so they had moved out of a house like yours that they adored. Many people in Seattle and elsewhere still love those mid-century contemporary houses.

I think if you can get your realtor to take advantage of the nice weather we are having and do a lot of pictures of your house & prices it well- that you will be pleasantly surprised by how quickly it goes. Good luck!!

Carla Vincent a remercié magilojoh
  • tilttheworld
    il y a 9 ans
    Don"t waste funds on what may be changed by the buyer. Add colorful flowers with a tall center to left side mulch. Remove cracked concrete, remove left side pavers, trim Bush, large house numbers vertical between small window and door. Be sure wrought iron rails are in good shape. Sheer curtains on front Windows. The pavers up to the porch are uneven and hazardous which looks like a lot of work for buyer. Good luck.
    Carla Vincent a remercié tilttheworld
  • PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    il y a 9 ans

Since you are selling this house I would keep your updates simple. Right now your house looks a little incomplete. Remove the bricks on the left side of the pathway, don't worry about trying to mimic the other side's retaining wall. Your pathway makes for a good entrance, so I'd leave that alone. I would consider sodding the left side of your front yard to remove the exposed planting bed. Sodding is pretty cheap and that would make it look finished. Love your idea about buying two pots. Plant them with some annuals which will guarantee you color throughout the entire season, this makes a huge difference. I would plant three shrubs under your left window to give some structure. Think about adding some evergreens so no matter what time you are selling, you'll have some winter interest.

I'll attach some inspiration photos for you as well since your more of a visual person! These are some front yards we did for our clients to enhance their curb appeal. Good luck!

• PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    il y a 9 ans

Ravenswood Curb Appeal · Plus d'infos

Andersonville Living Space · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Shadowcrest Roofing
    il y a 9 ans

Hi! What a fun project! Even though we aren't not in the same area, we think adding a front porch awning would make your home stand out just a little more. Can't wait to see the after photos! Check out our Pinterest board for great "curb appeal" ideas. Curb Appeal Ideas

• cjohns28
    il y a 9 ans
    Cute house. My energy would be spent on landscaping. The walkway is unbalanced so take the retaining walls over to the left side (as facing the house) from the walkway. I like another suggestion of staining your walkway pavers. Your suggestion of clean gravel is good too.

I would consider dumping the grass and go with some boulders, decorative rock, and perhaps a Japanese maple in their too. Think zen scape and the juxtaposition of bungalow against this would be very interesting.
  • Kat Cheng
    il y a 9 ans
    We had tired and ragged plantings when we sold our beach house, and the realtor connected us with a landscape guy who, for around $150 or so, drew up a plan that enhanced the look. Then we found a reasonably-priced gardener who executed the plan. It really helped, because in that area, "the Market" expects homes to be pristine and in move-in condition.
  • Kat Cheng
    il y a 9 ans
    Judging just by that photo, if I were approaching your house, I would love to see plantings on the left to "balance" the ones on the right. At the foot of the stairs, you could simply put in a larger shrub or planting for size, since you don't have the stone wall garden section on that side.
  • PRO
    Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc
    il y a 9 ans

Amazing helpful ideas! Time did not permit me to read them all but curb appeal is best enhanced by a new garage door which encompasses a large percentage of the front of your home.

Pictured below is the Clopay Coachman Door sold by a local Clopay dealer in your area. Hope this helps!

Kathy - Suburban Overhead Doors Media PA

• austil
    il y a 9 ans

Love love the look you already have!!! I've moved several times and a little goes a long way with curb appeal, which leaves more in budget for other expenses. That's the bottom line. I would do as little as possible since you already have a very nice look. My ONLY suggestion is to place a tall pot/planter just to the left of the start of the sidewalk up by the house. Put where it looks like a few rocks are sitting there in this pic. This would give color and interest to that side of the sidewalk and draw the eye up to the pretty little house. If the bottom step is cracked down by the gravel, try to remove it if you can. As good as the other suggestions are, I really don't think that much work/money is necessary since you are selling, not buying.

• Blake Voorhees
    il y a 9 ans

I think your home has a nice clean and square look. Often new owners love the idea of selecting their own plants. Here's another way to make your house stand out in photos, and in person. Consider extending the pleasing architecture of your home right to the street with a square arbor installed at the top of the first three steps and either a 3' simple fence (go to image 13 of my historic bungalow post today on my personal FB page: https://www.facebook.com/blake.voorhees) or a row of some hedge plant.

I think this may be a more effective approach to achieve your goal over having a lot of young plantings, which may not really give your listing photos the arresting appeal I believe you seek. Good luck!

• austil
    il y a 9 ans

Blake, your link does not work.

• Blake Voorhees
    il y a 9 ans

I noticed that after I posted and edited the link.. Here it is again: https://www.facebook.com/blake.voorhees

• km kane
    il y a 9 ans
    Do NOT put shutters on that house!!!! They do not belong on this type of architecture, will not fit and will stick out like a sore thumb. Fake plastic shutters are not a design solution.

This house could use more landscaping, especially on the left side. A large-ish tree would help.

Also, getting rid of the iron railing and replacing with something more to the style of the house -more modern - would help. And if possible, a thicker trim around the doors and windows.

You're selling in a sellers market, so don't go too crazy. This is a nice house, pretty good as is.
  • km kane
    il y a 9 ans
    Do NOT put shutters on that house!!!! They do not belong on this type of architecture, will,not fit and will stick out like a sore thumb. Fake plastic shutters are not a design solution.

This house could use more landscaping, especially on the left side. A large-ish tree would help.

Also, getting rid of the iron railing and replacing with something more to the style of the house would help. And I'd possible, a thicker trim around the door.

You're selling in a sellers market, so don't go too crazy. This is a nice house, pretty good as is.
  • karinamartin2008
    il y a 9 ans

As I mentioned yesterday, but removed my comment because I noticed I repeated myself a couple of times (over tired) but your house is clean, tidy and adorable. It will sell no problem and you want as much money possible towards your next home. Keeping costs down, plantings, perhaps a nice door wreath to add something that is not busy or cramped. Plantings on the left side to balance, even potted plants you can take with you..but not at the front door. Get your local nursery to help you. I wouldn't bother with the shutters, they can be costly and you don't need them. Your house will have no problem selling and you don't want to do a lot that just may be changed by it's future owner. Best of luck to you. Oh, and perhaps some nice dark mulch will make it look dark & rich with the plantings. Landscape goes a long long way without a lot of cost.

• afrikando
    il y a 9 ans

I'm in your neighborhood and am checking in for updates--have you done anything yet? My two cents is that houses are selling like hotcakes here so don't go too crazy with improvements. That said, there are so many great ideas on this thread!!

• karinamartin2008
    il y a 9 ans

Best of luck to you and hope for a quick sale so you can move on to your next home. Lots of great ideas here though. Great way to get feed back.

• Rosie
    il y a 8 ans

Don't replace the wrought iron with white vinyl as Mick50 suggested! White vinyl always looks so cheap.

• sweetkeight
    il y a 8 ans

did the house get listed?? what suggestions were used?
    I wouldn't have tried to do too much considering I'm leaving. In regard to sprucing up to gain curb appeal, you can always get a big bang for the buck with potted flowers and/or window boxes. I wouldn't have tried to cram too much into the railing with the pots like you originally stated...it's compact enough... if anything I would want the view to be a bit more expansive and not so tightly focused. Guess you would have needed to put in another tree to harmonize the front and create a wider exposure.
    The exisiting maple is too large and should have been pruned back more. They look better asthetically if they remain ornamental.
    Your house numbers should be prominent and either really large metallic attached directly to the house or out front at the end of your sidewalk on a fixture that you'd have to hire someone to build, lighted preferably.
    Hope all the suggestions you recieved were beneficial and that you sell.sold your house. :)

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».