Houzz Logo Print
sumayyah51

Living room rug dilemma

sumayyah51
il y a 8 ans

This is my living room. It's not very big so we want to make it look as roomy as possible. We're not sure if we should buy a rug that will go under the legs of the sofas, or one that is smaller (maybe 5'x7') just to go under the coffee table. To give a better picture, we have 2 sofas instead of a sofa and a love seat and each sofa is a bit over 6'5"

Commentaires (19)

• miacometlady
    il y a 8 ans
    It would help to see whole space!
  • anne dee
    il y a 8 ans

Under the sofa legs would be my preference
    ref pic

Contemporary Living Room · Plus d'infos

• sumayyah51
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

here are a few other pictures of the space

• Shredder
    il y a 8 ans

Go for a large area run, with lots of color - under at least the front legs of your sofas. Love the room. It looks like it has a ton of potential!

• J J
    il y a 8 ans
    following. pretty space
  • Avery
    il y a 8 ans

I agree with Anne Dee and the others who suggested a large enough rug so that approx 1/3 of the front portion of your sofas sit on it.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi

I would go with a larger rug.

I would also look for a larger coffee table.
  • eliasj
    il y a 8 ans
    I would put a large rug just under the coffee table
  • miacometlady
    il y a 8 ans
    I saw this rug in the recent Ballard Design catalog and just love it. I think your coffee table is to small. Would it fit next to sofa as an end table? I'm including a glass and iron coffee table. Your sofas are wonderful.
  • sumayyah51
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

We have a rug! Thoughts?

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    il y a 8 ans

Very pretty! Looks like you went with the bigger option? Great choice!!!

• OldGrayMare
    il y a 8 ans
    The rug is great! Not too large at all. But the coffee table is "lost" in the space. You need a great big round something there. This one is from Wayfair.com. The cushion is removable for when you want to use the table as a serving area. My furniture layout is different from yours but thought I'd include the pix anyway so you can get an idea of proportion. "Filling" a space doesn't make the room feel crowded. Happy decorating!
  • sumayyah51
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Oh, I love that! I agree with you all on the coffee table but as newlyweds on a budget, i'm going to have to hold off on a new coffee table for a bit. But I'll keep my eye out for something bigger just incase i find a great deal.

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

I love the new rug!!!!

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

I also love the coffee table but I do see how some are feeling it's a little small. Do you have plans to put a chair to the left of the fireplace (angled toward the sofas). I could see a solid, but strong colored modern chair there and a couple pillows of the same color on the sofa. I'm wondering if the current coffee table would then work a little better?

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

• PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    il y a 8 ans

First, I love your living room floors! Nice sofas and coffee table, too. To answer your questions, you have to go with the larger rug. Smaller rugs make the room appear much smaller than you might think. The larger rug anchors the space and joins the furnishings in a cohesive way. BONUS tip: If you want to open up the room to make it feel larger, exchange your larger sofa with the black chair so the two sofas are parallel. It'll create a nice conversational area and you'll still be able to see the TV!

• PRO
    Karen Ferro REALTOR
    il y a 8 ans

Agree with "Staged" answer above. See "Anne Dee's" photo above - situate the sofa's facing each other instead. Then you can place the rug so it is centered to the fireplace. Love the rug you choose!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».