Houzz Logo Print
eseakan

Staircase makeover

eseakan
il y a 8 ans

Looking for ideas to makeover this staircase. I am keeping the wrought iron railing. Thank you

Commentaires (17)

• Cor
    il y a 8 ans
    Well....for starters, I'd think about removing the wood paneling - or if removal is not an option, then paint them.
    eseakan a remercié Cor
  • lottie16
    il y a 8 ans
    Is this on the main floor of the house? Or basement? What's your style?
    eseakan a remercié lottie16
  • PRO
    SML Custom Homes, LLC
    il y a 8 ans
    I agree, I'd try to get rid of the wood paneling if possible. I'd paint the stringer white or the same color as the walls it bears on. For the treads and risers, I'd replace them completely with something that has a more natural wood look.

Now the only other option I'd say for the stringer is to make it the same color as the treads and risers, however, I think that'd make it really obvious and may take away from the other components.
    eseakan a remercié SML Custom Homes, LLC
  • eseakan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

The stairs go to the second floor bedrooms

• er612
    il y a 8 ans

I would paint the light brown portions white. Are the treads currently painted? I can't tell. If so, I would paint them black. If not, I would attempt to refinish and stain them.

eseakan a remercié er612
  • eseakan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

The risers are painted white. The stairs are wood.

• er612
    il y a 8 ans

The risers seem tan/brown to me. Here's how I would paint them (if the wood threads/stairs are not salvageable)...

eseakan a remercié er612
  • eseakan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I like what you suggested. What kind of paint would you suggest?

• eseakan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

er612 what app did you use to make the color changes?

• Nancy Johnson
    il y a 8 ans
    Sorry posted the phot twice
  • jhmarie
    il y a 8 ans

I refinished mine with lots of sanding (start with 80 or 60 grit and work your way to 220 grit). I used a belt sander and a detail sander. They had not been finished before, but were under carpet. The original builders had spilt paint and stain on them. After sanding to bare wood, used pre-stain followed by gel stain because I could sort of faux paint over some of the areas that didn't want to take stain due to previous damage, and also because pine stains unevenly. Then I used 5 coats water based Rustoluem polyurethane. Primed and painted risers and trim. It was inexpensive, really added to the charm of my my house, and was a ton of work.

• er612
    il y a 8 ans
    Sherwin Williams color visualizer.
    eseakan a remercié er612
  • eseakan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Nancy Johnson, after some research I am sold on the gel stain. How much did you need to purchase? How many stairs do you have? It looks like you also used it on the railings too. Thanks for your input. This will make it so much easier than the intensive sanding process.

• Nancy Johnson
    il y a 8 ans
    I used it on all my railings. I have 2 sets of stairs. I think I used 2 quarts and 1 pint.. For all of it. You can buy it on amazon but I am cheap and didn't want to pay for shipping so went to woodcraft and got it. Used socks not sick to apply. I am uploading my pictures that are on another site. I used the satin urethane ( gel). You will feel like you are removing some of the stain when you apply, but as long as you wait a week before you should be good. If you feel that you need to sand there is a liquid that you can use. I have been painting all my orange oak white and used that to sand it. Didn't do it on the stairs though
  • Nancy Johnson
    il y a 8 ans
    Sorry 26 treads that I put it on; it is a lot of work but the railing was the biggest pain mainly because there was so much of it. I used the other set of stairs when I did the front part and then there are two stairs by the top landing and had to do one and wait to do the other. If you can get by without going upstairs for over a week you can do it that way. Other people just do every other step if they need to use the stairs
  • brickln
    il y a 8 ans

If the scuff marks are from your family's use, I'd go with black risers. The steps appear to be on the narrow side.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».