Houzz Logo Print
captainvideo

Camouflaging ugly retaining wall

captainvideo
il y a 8 ans

My rear yard is backed by a 50 foot long 5 foot tall retaining wall which is the property of my neighbor above it.

I do not wish to repair or improve the wall itself (and neither does the neighbor), rather, I'd like to hide it with attractive shrubs and partial shade tolerant plants. suited for plant hardiness zone 6b.

I am interested in hardy plants that only require a minimum amount of T.L.C. as I have only a limited amount of time to devote to yard work.

P.S. The photo was taken at noon on a bright sunny August day.

Rear yard · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (30)

• captainvideo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Too many drawbacks to planting bamboo.Too tall, invasive, cold sensitive. But it really would cover that ugly wall, wouldn't it?

Thanks

• Luke Buckle
    il y a 8 ans

I learned some handy lessons about bamboo on [this thread[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/bamboo-in-the-garden-too-risky-dsvw-vd~2867505?n=18). Not all species are as virulent as the bamboo that overtakes your yard.

• Dawn Collins
    il y a 8 ans

Hi what about Lilly pilly trees u can trim as hedge or just leave, very hardy

• LouieT
    il y a 8 ans

Hi, are you in Australia?

• Judy Bumbles
    il y a 8 ans
    Boston ivy would be beautiful although it is deciduous in winter.
  • Terri Turner
    il y a 8 ans

Honestly look up James Stirling Pittosporum. They are an ever green tree that grow up instead of out. They are a dense tree from the bottom up, so it will cover the neighbors. We have built 3 homes as The children grew up, and in every home I have planted them. They are a great screen which a lot of people cut into a hedge. But we chose to let them grow. For the first few years you need to give them a light hair cut on the top only, to encourage them thicken into each other. After they're established, you can leave them or have them pruned as you please. Easy maintenance. I just find any wall creeper would need a lot of maintenance. Please check these trees out. They are meant for hiding walls or fences.

• Dawn Collins
    il y a 8 ans

Hi yes I am in Victoria . I have one Lilly pilly ( Syzygium paniculatum )is the one I have it has small white flowers and magenta fruit and redish new growth very nice and hardy . We brought a rental property that was one off the trees that survived not being looked after. Hope this helps , good luck

• LouieT
    il y a 8 ans

That James Stirling Pittosporum sounds good Terri, here's Don Burkes helpful advice on privacy plants including that one. Don Burke Privacy plants Good luck captainvideo!

• PRO
    the evolve group
    il y a 8 ans

Bamboo is a good idea, it would bush out above the top of the wall (hiding whats above), keep it clean for the bottom 5 foot (height of wall). I'd plant them about 5 feet apart.

Put a simple garden edging 4 feet off and parallel with the wall. Fill the garden bed with a black mulch.

Then contrast the bamboo and paint the wall with a vibrant red.

Run a row of up lights through the line of the bamboo.

Turn it from an eye saw to a feature.

• farsideb
    il y a 8 ans

Here's another vote for the James Stirling. Great plants and I love the tiny black flowers, very unusual. Very easy to miss.

• sean9002
    il y a 8 ans

Have a graffiti artist do a massive mural across it!

• 1wanderer
    il y a 8 ans

Ficus or Ivy.

• jbantick
    il y a 8 ans

I actually don't mind the wall, has a nice patina. I do however dislike the fence!

Lilli Pilli's are a great all-round screening plant as are James Stirling.

• Susan Clark
    il y a 8 ans

Have you thought of painting it? It will take some time for plants to grow and there will always be gaps, so it's probably a 'bit of both' (paint and plants), not one or the other. Those house/garden make-over shows often paint fences black, dark grey, deep purples or deep sea greens/aqua. The latter I really like, though I didn't expect to. Deep, dramatic colours such as this could also provide a lovely back drop for some 'objects d'Art' in the backyard, drawing your eye away from the neighbour's fence and house. Nothing too flash - a statue or feature plant, fire-pit with hamptons chairs; that sort of thing. Add your screen trees - and to really have privacy in that garden you need some tall, shallow/narrow trees, as the neighbouring house towers above you -and settle back while they grow. What about an ornamental pear? See the list here for some good ideas: http://www.flemings.com.au/topten.asp?type=6. Ornamental pear is the Pyrus. My sister grew some of these and they are a v attractive tree.

Good luck

• PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    il y a 8 ans

I'm going to put a spanner in the argument - I really like the wall. It is rustic and to me is worth being seen. I would add plants in front of it, of varying heights, so that some of the wall is seen at intervals. It is part of the character of the property, and it is important to retain a property's history as much as possible.

• trucioso
    il y a 8 ans

We have Rosemary and lavander because they are very low maintenance, frost resistent but also grow well in the torrid summer. While we keep our lavander trimed at about 3 - 4 feet we have left the rosemary grow tall, now it is about 4 - 5 feet high. We love the beautiful violet flowers and their fragrance of both plants. They attract bees while keeping other insects away. On the other hand, it allow us to keep an eye on the wall in case it needs repair. Hope you find a suitable solution.

• PRO
    Rising Sun Landscaping
    il y a 8 ans
    I would love to tackle this!
    captainvideo a remercié Rising Sun Landscaping
  • Alexander Woo
    il y a 8 ans
    Sweet potato vines?
  • havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

having dealt with them before, i would vote never sweet potato vines.

• Alexander Woo
    il y a 8 ans
    Oh really? Why is that? Invasive?
  • havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

there is a reason they grow it in pots, at least in FL and in md and de

• Tracey Shepherd
    il y a 8 ans

Paint the wall dark grey or purple and plant conifers, they'll take time to grow if small,maybe expensive but just about zero maintenance and can grow high.

• row1row
    il y a 8 ans
    Climbing fig covers a wall beautifully but can be hard to control
  • PRO
    Knight-Smith Images
    il y a 8 ans
    Passion fruit vines. Providing they get enough sun.
  • patjon
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

We had the same problem but with a taller wall and we planted dwarf magnolia along the wall with a lovely large white lemon scented flower that is in bloom most of the year and put Clivea in front of these that has a thin long bladed leaf with red flowers or you could try agapanthus if you prefer a mauve flower the dwarf magnolia in a few years will possibly hide the wire fence as well as giving you a more private yard we are very happy with ours good luck with yours. Ps very low maintenance

• georgi02
    il y a 8 ans

I like the wall and would try to use it, by adding it mirrors and slimline water features that allow the wall to show through at various spots and allow you to extend the feel of your beautiful yard. I'd also think about layering the planting. Could you use hanging baskets on what looks to be wire fencing (it's relatively straight forward to run irrigation to it which means minimal work)? If so, think about Dichondria Silver Falls as it'll drape down - if not, Clementis is a climber with beautiful flowers. You could then layer in front of the mirrors with philodendrons and Hostas or Peace Lilies.

• mischiefdebs
    il y a 8 ans

Hiya, for a no fuss cover my suggestions are: Ivy - would cover the wall completely and also climb the fence. It's super easy to keep neat by using an electric hedge trimmer. Bamboo - get a species that is clumping - not spreading. Species that have black stems against the green leaves would look very striking. Most grow quite tall though and require full sun so you'd need to take this into account. Lilly Pilly's, Murraya's, Photinia's are hardy and great for tall hedges. Certain species grow quite quickly. Want to get some use out of your plants? Consider passionfruit vine. Great fruit, but the wine will lose its leaves in winter. Same with wisteria, ornamental grape, etc. Enjoy, and hope this helps. Cheers, Debs

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

As I agree with the many comments of jbantuck, Susan Clark, and Timandra, that the wall is handsome and worth exposing, I offer a few suggestions.

It is the chainlink fence that need to be removed from your view, so I suggest an aerial hedge where the exposed trunks form a phalanx across the length of the wall, with all the evergreen foliage forming a screen above, so the fence and the neighbor dissappear from you life and from the view of you and your friends.

Once that is done, you can develop a very pleasant outdoor room at the base of the wall in which to entertain your family and guests in an extraordinarily attractive setting, unique, one that will not be matched by anyone.

And ask Alison Alpin to design it for you.

• Julie Walton
    il y a 8 ans
    What look are you after? Modern, traditional there is so much out there. Expensive or economical. I've had a similar issue and used climbing roses, which are very impressive.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».