Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

Need help for ideas to cover or hide these breaker panels?

Skip Gilliam
il y a 8 ans
The best location for our breaker panels was in our laundry room. We thought that would be the best spot and out of any main room. However we didn't realize that you would be able to see the panels when you drive up into the driveway and it's going to keep eating at me. Couple of photos of the space below. Would like some ideas on to address this?

Commentaires (95)

• grapefruit1_ar
    il y a 8 ans

I do not think that they are supposed to be covered...code violation..but most likely no one is going to be checking. Also, quite likely they cannot be higher because they must be reachable by someone in a wheelchair.

• julynovember
    il y a 8 ans

An idea I am going to use for my same situation is to find a ready made or custom made magnetic board for reminders, grocery lists, recipes and etc. If you have stainless appliances it will go well with them too. Pat

• Donna Ken
    il y a 8 ans

Paint them the wall colour and use as a magnetic board. Donna

• User
    il y a 8 ans

Using them as a magnet board is really bad advice. The covers on the panels should only be used to open them to access the breakers. They shouldn't be used to write on or stick things to.

• User
    il y a 8 ans

There is no requirement that circuits be reachable by someone in a wheelchair (or a short person). Code has a max height for the top of the circuit box. It's about 6 1/2 feet.

• carol_meinecke
    il y a 8 ans
    Go to a craft store and buy a frame that will go around them both. Paint them with chalkboard paint or whiteboard paint then you can write on them. Stencil or paint some design around them.
  • jonathan3
    il y a 8 ans

Don't put them outside. Recently, there have been some incidents where thieves shut off the electricity to the house and robbed the homeowner when he went out to check on the box. Creepy!

• britttan
    il y a 8 ans
    Paint them the same colour as the wall and they will blend right in!
  • sandradclark
    il y a 8 ans

I think there is a consensus: painting them the same color as the wall, leaving the latches unpainted.

• capeanner
    il y a 8 ans

I would speak with an electrical inspector before sticking magnets, etc on it. BTW that is one gorgeous laundry room! Looks nicer than a lot of kitchens shown on houzz and any I will ever have! The pendants & counter top are gorgeous.

I happened to like the blue/green. But there's a lot of removable
    wallpapers to choose from. You could do the whole wall or just the
    boxes.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Betapet?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

If you put up half curtains wouldn't that block enough of the view in? Would certainly go with style of cabs. Plus would give some privacy.

• konstandina
    il y a 8 ans
    Maybe also consider painting them the color of the cabinets? The frame gives them a shaker feel; if you leave the latches unpainted then from the driveway they might blend into the other cabinets.
  • PRO
    Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath
    il y a 8 ans

Poor location for breaker boxes! They are too low to put a face frame and door over them as what we would normally do. I would just paint them the same color as the wall to help them blend. Hanging anything over them will look odd for one and two they will obstruct your drawer from opening.

• Marty Peach Nikolaus
    il y a 8 ans

I like the chalkboard idea; it's practical and useful. However, when I first looked at the wall, I saw 2 old vintage shutters to cover each - not large, just enough to cover them. It would go well with the farm sink.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    il y a 8 ans

the electrical box, extends down below the counter, and in front of the cabinet drawer folks.. you cant have things the project off the wall.........

• sk12
    il y a 8 ans

You really had a lot of responses. ! Since it is a country style laundry room, why not paint it to look like your other windows. Have someone paint the same kind of panes as the other windows with a scene in the background (flowering tree or fern) Then have them faux molding around it so it looks like a window.

• Lisa Williams
    il y a 8 ans

If you choose to hang any type of canvas or art over them, I would suggest using Command hook and loop strips. That way they are easily removed and put back on anytime you need to access them. The canvas art makes good sense as they are lighter than other types of wall hung art.

• rvrichards
    il y a 8 ans

The panels will probably allow for magnets. Why not put beautiful post cards (or pictures or photos) up with beautiful magnets you collect or maybe matching magnets.

• Lisa R
    il y a 8 ans
    I would paint them with chalkboard paint. If you can see that area when you enter; then, use it to remind yourself of things,, I.e. items needed from the store, errands and appointments. Frame out all of it except where the counter and drawer area.
  • auntqueenie
    il y a 8 ans

Put faux cabinet door over existing panel door, to look like rest of cabinetry. Or paint them a nice color with or without design that goes with your kitchen decor.

• karen3000
    il y a 8 ans

If your issue is simply that they are visible from the outside, paint them to match the wall color and it will be camouflaged. They are so close to the counter so covering with a painting would look awkward.

• Natalie Barone
    il y a 8 ans

Chalkboard on a hinge. You can have fun and change the scenery on occasion

• sgoldcamp
    il y a 8 ans

I have the same situation in my laundry room. I bought some chalk board decal paper and covered them. Then I took a n exacto knife and cut the around the door and handle so it could open. It is not flat, but the whole family used colorful chalk markers and drew something, so you don't really notice that. It was very cheap and easy. I actually had my 12 year old daughter (who is very creative) do it.

• marlso
    il y a 8 ans

True about the potential issue in case of fire. I was told that I can't cover/ paint/disguise mine.

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    This has been a very long thread, with basically three suggestions, paint them, cover them, build a cabinet around them.
    Is there a reason why they can't be relocated if you don't like them in this area, which I agree is kind of unsightly. Your laundry room is beautiful. Can't the panel be relocated outside, in a closet, in a garage? Ours are on the side of the house and we just paint over them.
  • Cait Armstrong
    il y a 8 ans

Painting them will make them stick out even more. Also, when we got our new breaker box this year, the electrician told us the metal is a special type of metal would basically have to be powder coated for anything to stick to it. I don't think magnets are going to do anything to it. Its electricity, not bluetooth. Either way, its a laundry room, isn't supposed to be somewhat utilitarian?

• psmljj
    il y a 8 ans

I vote for painting them. Any item hung would be to low and would interfere with the drawer anyway.

• Skip Gilliam
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I'm going to try just painting them first to see how that turns out. We are not able to relocate them too costly for one and this is the best location for the panels inside the house.
  • Maureen
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

A completely different idea..why don't you add half shutters, so you won't see the box from the drive and since the room is facing the street, may also be good for privacy as well. White or natural would suit and I would also just paint the panels.

Morningside Kitchen Renovation · Plus d'infos

• sweepsfl4
    il y a 8 ans

I think there is something being overlooked here. The electrics to and then in your house is a major aspect of your life. While we have been sold on many other decorative concepts, well designed electrics is a major plus to any home often not elaborated on. Many houses have just the code minimum at best. Now the panel just happens to be the point of control and in the future may very well include features that today's technology demands. There is no reason your panel door cannot deliver info to you that even refrigerators are giving us today regarding their operation. Electrical usage etc could be shown as well as what circuits are bleeding your pocket book without you knowing. But in the meantime the code doesn't want these units covered up as they have a purpose and if you ever need someone to turn off a circuit you don't want them taking all day to find it because you thought it was ugly and useless. You don't want to mask it either... oh I thought that was a painting. Just get a magnet and attach a small photo and there is nothing wrong with painting it either. The next time your power goes out think about using your panel and shutting off allot of circuits to prevent a surge from hitting your appliances or turning off some circuits when you go away to keep that entertainment center from using power for a few weeks while you are off entertaining yourself somewhere else. Finally for some, think about getting a new one with updated breakers!

• bezziec
    il y a 8 ans

Bought a piece of stretched canvas and painted it white. Wrote laundry related words with a magic marker. Hangs on the top ridge of the breaker panel. Total cost less than $2.

• hotzim
    il y a 8 ans

How about framing it and then painting where the doors are with the special blackboard paint and using it as a chalk board? Hide it in plain sight? Or cork over the doors and use as a cork board for kids art or memos or shopping lists??

• Kay Kitchens-Poindexter
    il y a 8 ans

Frame them and enjoy wonderful magnetic boards. You should also be able to use dri-erase markers. Consider framing in a bright cheerful color.

• suezbell
    il y a 8 ans

Your safest bet is to paint them the same color as the wall so they visually disappear. I'd not add anything else to them to emphasize them -- that defeats the very purpose of your efforts to "decorate" them. I'd NOT do anything that could not quickly be removed or anything that requires nailing into the wall anywhere near the panels.

If there are no rules against it, even painted you could use "refrigerator" magnets on them to for decorations and/or to hold grocery lists and/or to do lists and/or notes between family members. Some small chalkboards and mirrors and note holders also have magnetic backs.

Another option is to choose a fabric banner or flag affixed to a lightweight pipe and hang it above the panels -- something light enough to use a sticky hanger and not need to drive a nail into the wall to hang it -- something easily moved when the panels need to be accessed and/or easily moved aside to open the nearest drawer.

• Cheryl
    il y a 8 ans
    I agree with the canvas idea. Although, I would have two individual photos and paint the panel so you won't see the gray in between. Don't forget Pinterest for photo ideas. Try not to place anything heavy over the panels, it will just make things more difficult down the road. Love your laundry room enjoy!
  • nancy paulette
    il y a 8 ans

Fold out ironing board behind cabinet doors

• dandcnisky
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

I, too, love your laundry area. I think the idea of a chalkboard would be useful either use chalk paint and paint the doors or get a framed chalkboard at Home Goods. Also, you could get a large poster with a laundry motif and have it framed.

• PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    il y a 8 ans

Please let us know what you do. :-)

• PRO
    Steve Cantrell Design and Drafting
    il y a 8 ans

Hang curtains, frame the doors and play up hazard stickers on the doors. Have fun with it.

• PRO
    Moyer Woodworks
    il y a 8 ans
    hanging a picture or even a little cubby box but use a french cleat or hanger bar and it will lift off in second says the carpenter
  • PRO
    Moyer Woodworks
    il y a 8 ans
    careful with fasteners...lots of wires
  • designgirl178
    il y a 8 ans

How about mod-podging an enlarged photo or poster onto the doors? Or you could do the same with different laundry room signs. Make your own on your computer then go to a print shop and have it enlarged before applying to doors. Good luck.

• Sharon
    il y a 8 ans

One of the above comments suggested signaling that "here are the breaker boxes." I would definitely go with that. You do not want to camouflage them or you may invite trouble in an emergency.

• PRO
    Linda
    il y a 8 ans

Electrical panels go where they go, somewhat like sewer cleanouts and utility meters. Many factors determine the location and changing that location is rarely justified. It may be possible to move a panel a few feet without tremendous expense (hundreds instead of thousands of dollars) but the panel must be within 5 feet of the entry point to the house or other rules apply.

I recently had a panel moved a short distance as part of an upgrade from 100A to 200A service. It was neither cheap nor easy but appropriate under the circumstances.

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    I have had panels moved from inside my hall closet to outside at the side of my home. We also have a panel in the garage.
  • gersusan1014
    il y a 8 ans
    I would say the solution is difficult because of the panel proximity to the counter/drawer. Painting seems like the easiest way to reduce the visual impact, but doesn't make the panels look less like what they are, and that I gather is the mission. I would begin thinking of ways to alter the appearance of the panels without constructing/finding something to cover them. Use the panels themselves as the foundation and put something on the panels themselves; something thin enough to avoid conflict with the counter/ drawer. Stop thinking about covering the whole panel, but just enough to alter their appearance. For example, there are some interesting, arty looking things being done on sheets of tin. Dimensional letters are popular now. They wouldn't cover the panels, but would be a distraction, and could be applied so they wouldn't interfere with counter/drawer function. Seems like their would be lots of solutions that wouldn't have to completely cover the panels and be clear of counter/drawer.
  • dlooby
    il y a 8 ans
    I would try painting them the same as the wall. They are too low for a picture, and doors would look out of place next to the cabinet. Just my thoughts. You can always cover them with doors etc if the paint doesn't work.
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

Who'd have thought this dilemma would generate so many comments?

• Skip Gilliam
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    No kidding...I ask for for advice on more pressing matters in the house and its hard to get this much feedback. This is just so a small thing that is bugging us and we were hoping we would get a little feedback. I really do appreciate all the advice given.
  • pollyplum
    il y a 8 ans

wow- you have a lot of good ides here- please post a photo when you do make a cover-up If an electrician tells you the box can get hot and not to stick paper or cloth to it I like the curtain rod idea, with some small curtains to look like a window.

• dlooby
    il y a 8 ans
    Electrical panels shouldn't get hot unless there is a wiring problem.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».