Houzz Logo Print
heather_andersonwinter

Help with drapery fail

I got so much help with my last question, I'm hoping to get a little advice again.
So I was making curtains for my dining room, and 6 children were running around the house on a rainy day .... You may see where I'm going with this.
2 panels made it out of the sewing room, but they were cut horribly wrong.
My choices are, 1) start over with different material, or 2) make the curtains 2 toned with white either at the top or bottom - I would guess white from the chair rail down.
Thanks, I am typically a DIY kind of girl with a decent success rate, just not this week☺️

Commentaires (21)

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 8 ans

Fabric still available for purchase? How much do you care if the curtains are perfect or have (say) a seam on one panel?

• Heather Anderson Winter
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I got an awesome deal on exactly 12 yards of this material, there is a place that still has some by-the-yard, but I wasn't sure if a horizontal seem would be too obvious. Purchasing enough for 2 entire panels would be out of my budget.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Sadly, they were supposed to be touching the floor.
    I can use the fabric for roman shades and accent pillows in the family room across the house. I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get new material to be "matchy".
    And the chandelier is zip tied higher right now because I was moving furniture, taking out the leaf, etc... It is also getting an updated facade when the drapes are "done".
  • apple_pie_order
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks for info. Is the extra fabric from the same store with the same dye lot?

Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Oh, and the chairs will either be reupholstered or slipcovered. I am waffling over that, still.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Not even close, I didn't think about that. My fabric was a "remnant special". No flaws, but it could have been sitting in a warehouse for a year. I suppose it would be a bit risky to buy 2 yards for "fixing" purposes.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Would a two-toned curtain/drapes look "dated"? I have had them before, but I don't see any available from the "trendy catalogue companies".
    I am finishing this room for several reasons, but one of them is potentially selling in the spring. Rural living isn't agreeing with my husband
  • hally151
    il y a 8 ans
    You can add the needed extra to the bottom and cover the stitch with narrow strip in brown or other color, as a decoration (can be a lace or any other lightly textured fabric)
  • PRO
    Creative Blinds & Decor
    il y a 8 ans

Hello,

I would modify by adding a coordinating solid fabric at the bottom a few inches below the sill. I would say the solid color from the fabric, such as the grey that blends well with the wall color too. a trim of sorts can be added to the seam area, and then re-hem all based on the desired length.

Good luck!

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 8 ans

If you are mostly spiffing up the room for selling purposes next year, I recommend saving this great fabric for your next house or using it for the Roman shades in the family room instead. Any fix with a seam is going to look like "make do" which is red flag to buyers that you may have cut corners elsewhere. For selling, simple white or off white floor length curtains are great inexpensive choices. IME, buyers frequently ooh and aah over custom made lively print curtains and Roman shades, then they replace them as soon as escrow closes.

In my area, two-tone curtains are well past their peak in popularity.

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

The dye lot variation may not be a big deal, maybe they can send you a 2 inch swatch? If you are going to leave the curtains for the future buyers, they'd probably not notice two panels on one set of windows that don't exactly match the two on the other set of windows because of the light variation on different sides of the room.

Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I really appreciate the flood of help, especially since I can't really offer it to anyone else (unless their question involves how to take on way more than you could every actually finish).
    I want to stay in this house, so I will be moving forward with "what makes me happy", although I will be keeping "might sell" in the back of my mind - I would rather bulldoze this room and add a music room.
    I will likely use this material in the family room, I love it and we never go in the dining room unless I have the train set up for the kids.
    I borrowed 2 pictures off the internet, I hope that is ok. The dining room is closest to sandy hook gray from BM, I mixed it myself but it is close. The "white" in my dining room is basically white paint with a bit of the dark color mixed in - with a dash of orange because it was reading a little blue
    Would the yellow material be okay with it, or maybe to strong of a statement?
  • Judy Mishkin
    il y a 8 ans

i love the two toned look.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 8 ans

Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    White on the top would look nice. I pinned some white on to the bottom, not loving it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 8 ans

I've seen a more gathered "skirt" added to the bottom. It lends a bit of femininity.

• PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

I would use a dark color on the bottom of the drapes, not a light color; like the poster above that put white on the top and your brown print on the bottom. The heavy color on the bottom,(dark brown) the lighter color on the top...elongates the walls as well. Make the join at sill level.

Apart from color blocking, NEVER make a horizontal join in a drapery panel.

They need to be floor length , and make sure you use decent lining in them.

Measure twice cut once.!!!

• Lori East
    il y a 8 ans
    Love your keyboard!
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi

I would either start over or use a solid color fabric on the top.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Thanks everyone. I'm sorry I don't know how to "tag" an individual for commenting, but

1) I am going to just start over with a light solid color and add a vertical border in a darker (a bit darker than the wall) on the "center" side of each panel. When sitting at the table, the view from that window is the horse field and barn, I think it would frame everything nicely.

2) the keyboard is from an antique piano that couldn't be restored to playable condition. My sister was going to "junk" it when she moved, so we cut it apart. I used the cabinet to house a digital piano, and the harp has clematis growing on it in the "reading garden". I love all 3 pieces, the best things I own.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».