Houzz Logo Print
samodeo1

What window treatment for close neighbors????

samodeo1
il y a 8 ans

Hello, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on (through) my kitchen window. It is the only window, except the door, and it's over the sink.

We didn't expect to have "deco doors" on the ends of the cabinets, however, the cabinet company messed up and this is how they would "fix" the matter (or having me sand and paint). Now the window molding is off and looks odd. Another problem is that my neighbors are very close. I need light but privacy too! I don't want to have this shade down all the time. This is a new kitchen and we had a soffit before. I had made a valance and cafe curtains for that. I don't know if I should do the same.

The walls are a puddy color and the floor (we left) is a dark tile. Our counter comes in this week and is a white (with black) quartz. I was thinking a black color with some kind of white geo print? Any ideas? Advise? Thanks!!!

Susan

Commentaires (31)

• leelee
    il y a 8 ans

A roman shade mounted above the window could be the answer.

samodeo1 a remercié leelee
  • samodeo1
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Thank you. I was thinking of that but the window is ugly and I can see the neighbors house... The only thing I hate about the house!

• MarleneM
    il y a 8 ans
    For more privacy, a top down, bottom up Roman shade may be the answer.
    Top Down - Bottom Up Roman shade · Plus d'infos
    samodeo1 a remercié MarleneM
  • samodeo1
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I didn't know they made them that way! Thank you both. Onto investigating.

• KD
    il y a 8 ans

What about treating it like a place to display artwork, instead? Specifically, since I like the look of some stained glass, I'd look for someone to do a piece either in all clear glass or primarily clear glass (to allow the most light in) that would exactly fit over the window. Then mount it on hinges or something so it could be easily removed or opened for window access, but most of the time would stay in place and obscure the view enough for privacy.

samodeo1 a remercié KD
  • PRO
    The Shade Store
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Susan,

It sounds like a top down bottom up roman shade with a privacy lining might be the perfect solution for your window. This would give you privacy from your neighbors but still allow plenty of light to shine through the top part of your window. We have lots of geometric patterns that might work for you which you could see on our website at theshadestore.com. All swatches are free of charge!

Another option might be a roller shade. We have several roller shade materials that are specifically designed to give privacy while allowing light to shine to filter through. The nice thing about roller shades in the kitchen are that the materials clean very easily and are more resistant to water than a traditional fabric might be. Check out our Chevron pattern! I think it will look great in your kitchen.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me for any additional assistance or if you would like me to send you swatches.

Kindly,

Jennifer Berry

THE SHADE STORE

t: 800.754.1455 | p: 310.893.1899 ext 453

jberry@theshadestore.com

samodeo1 a remercié The Shade Store
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    il y a 8 ans

A treatment that allows filtered light and adds a decorative element would work great. Here are two photos showing a before & after example of a laser cut fabric used for the same purpose as you are hoping for. These are from my colleague, Its Oksana, who is based in Chicago. You could use the laser cut fabric for a roman shade, which gives you more options for raising and lowering for viewing and for cleaning.

samodeo1 a remercié SK Designs
  • everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

If mine, I'd like the top down option so I could see a little bit of sky. Any chance you could raise your valance up a bit for the softening effect of fabric among kitchen of wood.

samodeo1 a remercié everdebz
  • sandradclark
    il y a 8 ans

I would hang a valance from the ceiling to fall just below the top casing of the window. This will allow as much light in as possible. Then on the bottom portion of the window buy a white pleated shade bought at Ikea which is placed in the window opening vertically & is held in by the pressure of the pleats. You can cut it to any width (length) you need. The shade is called Schottis & it costs $2.99.

samodeo1 a remercié sandradclark
  • acm
    il y a 8 ans

I agree with a top-down/bottom-up, but would go with a light-filtering cellular blind. That should completely obscure the neighboring wall while letting in as much light as possible. Good luck!

Bedroom · Plus d'infos

samodeo1 a remercié acm
  • sandradclark
    il y a 8 ans

This shade sucks up light from the outside to bring it into your room.

• PRO
    LampsUSA.com
    il y a 8 ans

Shutters painted white is another option-they let the light in and also allow for privacy.

samodeo1 a remercié LampsUSA.com
  • PRO
    CLR Design Services, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

Also look at Delia Shades

samodeo1 a remercié CLR Design Services, Inc.
  • samodeo1
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you for all the suggestions! I was also given the suggestion of putting in Cafe Blinds with a fabric valence. Any thoughts? Also, if hanging a valance, should I put the hardware at the bottom of the crown molding??? Thanks!!!

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

Café blinds are only at bottom of window? I like that look personally. With a valance too.

• Missy Bee
    il y a 8 ans
    I would live without window treatments for a while..you might not find view of neighbors' activity is so bad. I doubt they will notice you in the window very much. if it is a bother I would replace regulate glass with clear beveled glass which would break up any view in, maintain light entry and still allow you to see what is going on outside. could add fabric valance. there is a lot of splashing around sinks that can affect longer window treatments.
    samodeo1 a remercié Missy Bee
  • Angel 18432
    il y a 8 ans

My vote would be for Plantation shutters - then you can tilt and turn as needed. Not cafe curtains - too country for your kitchen.

samodeo1 a remercié Angel 18432
  • grapefruit1_ar
    il y a 8 ans

Do you open the window? Do you look out of the window? Do you like natural light? Plantation shutters are not good for any of these. Yes, they can be adjusted....but they are still in sight. Cafe curtains ( lower half of window) would be sweet.

samodeo1 a remercié grapefruit1_ar
  • sandradclark
    il y a 8 ans

I would still install a valance at the top of the wall section & take it down to just below the casing at the top of the window. Whether you add the schottis blinds at $2.99 or just make a shirred cafe to hang to just touch the bottom of the window casing is up to you.

• samodeo1
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you all so much! I do open the window for air or I look out at my daughter as she goes by on her bike or something like that. Unfortunately replacing the window is out of the question... We opted for a quartz counter instead. Luckily we like our neighbors...

Ok, so since I do open the window, what about small shutters on the bottom half (2 on each side)?

I am also curious about starting the valance at the top of the wall. Do you have any pictures of how that looks???

It really stinks that my cabinets ended up going onto the window trim. Originally we had a soft - we were going to keep it until we realized there was nothing behind the soft. Now we have nice open space, but it makes the top of the window look odd!

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 8 ans

I like cordless cellular shades. You can get top down/bottom up versions for privacy from neighbors but light and an outside view over the top of the bottom portion.

samodeo1 a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • TraceyE
    il y a 8 ans

If you are unhappy with the way the window looks I was wondering if you could put a thin piece of window timber along the top of the window frame (to bring it to the same height as the bottom of the moulding on the cupboards then repeat the cupboard moulding above it.

also have you considered privacy film? Do you have a bit of space outside your window to add a couple of tall feathery trees? The eye will be drawn to the trees rather than your neighbour

Buena Vista Residence · Plus d'infos

samodeo1 a remercié TraceyE
  • Geneviève
    il y a 8 ans

I used adhesive film for my kitchen window on the bottom part ,you can find many designs and even mosaics to give that extra glow .

samodeo1 a remercié Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    il y a 8 ans

For the Love of Birds · Plus d'infos

samodeo1 a remercié Geneviève
  • everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

Kinda cool... like mottled shade under a tree... dappled? well, I meant there's bits of direct sun and view.... probably preventing a clear look in from the outside...

• pam
    il y a 8 ans

I have thin (1") metal aluminum blinds. LOVE them....the sun bounces off when angled and they just sparkle! When open fully they become almost transparent and you have an unobstructed outdoor view. Easy to clean (and inexpensive).....dislike anything fabric on a kitchen window.....

samodeo1 a remercié pam
  • pam
    il y a 8 ans

Didn't read the complete blog.... :) to hid the view, hang a bird feeder and plant an upright evergreen?

samodeo1 a remercié pam
  • samodeo1
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Pam. I can't believe all the posts! I can't do the bird feeder... would do it if I could. I have am thinking about shutters.... but still thinking.

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    il y a 8 ans

Hey There: When it comes to your window treatment it is all about functionality. Compromise is good but if your blinds/shades are only good for a single situation, it doesnt really help. A great solution are pleated bottom up tow down shades - they are minimalistic in design and are available in hundreds of colors and prints. Choose from translucent material and you get light in but can keep the neighbors out. Check out our huge portefolio at www.PleatedBlindsStore.com or call us at 619.665.9446

• oregonnative
    l'année dernière

What about those shades that go up from the bottom besides going down form the top? We put a frosted glass look vinyl on the window in our front door because we were uncomfortable with strangers looking in. We just bought a lacey looking film from WallPops to put about 12" high on our windows that face the parking lot in our second story condo because we don't want to look at the parking lot. And lastly I have put up a half curtain for privacy so people could not see my face but I could see the sky. Gool luck!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».