Houzz Logo Print
jgmikol

Bedroom size

Jane Mikol
il y a 8 ans
What is the most acceptable smallest size for a guest room?

Commentaires (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 8 ans

You don’t really need the chair but it would be nice to have that and I find my guests never use the dresser in my guest room so we took it out and put a small desk and chair in , it gets used all the time. So I would say 11 x11 is a good size.

Jane Mikol a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • drememon
    il y a 8 ans

In my last house, the guest room was 10.5 by 11 feet and inches, with a very small (four foot) closet. Like Patricia, I removed the unused chest of drawers, and replaced it with a desk and small chair. A queen bed, bookshelf, night table and lamp fit nicely, along with a folding luggage stand.

Are you designing a home? Door and window placement make a difference, too. Try laying out the furniture you'd like to have in the room to make sure you have ample circulation space, and a decent bit of uninterrupted space for the bed wall/headboard.

Jane Mikol a remercié drememon
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

As a code perspective, the International Residential Code (US) states:

R304.2 Other rooms.

Other habitable rooms shall have a floor area of not less than 70 square feet (6.5 m2).

Exception: Kitchens.

R304.3 Minimum dimensions.

Habitable rooms shall not be less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any horizontal dimension.

Exception: Kitchens

• PRO
    CLR Design Services, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

If it's truly a guest bedroom that won't be used that much, anywhere from 11x11-11x13 would be ok...depending on the size bed you want to use.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 8 ans

How long do you want the guest to stay?

• Najeebah
    il y a 8 ans
    If you have guests often, build a room comfortable for two. If you rarely have guests, and space is limited, don't build a guest room. You can get a sleeper couch/sofa and convert that area into a 'guest room' when necessary. This can be done in a study for instance. If you do this, do ensure that your bathrooms aren't all en-suite to other rooms
  • Jane Mikol
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you so much for your input. It is much appreciated. My husband and I are building. Home and the width for the guest room can only be 10 feet, but the length can be 13 to 15 feet. I was nervous that would be too small. Unfortunately, I cannot increase the width.

• Rawketgrl
    il y a 8 ans

10 x 13 is plenty. Use the extra 2 feet of that 15 feet available for storage.

• printesa
    il y a 8 ans

The smallest bedroom we have is a 13 x12. I wouldn't go smaller than that. It fits a queen bed and two nightstands, a small tv cabinet. The room has a walk-in closet

• spraguec
    il y a 8 ans
    A French daybed (or trundle bed) would maximize your space.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».