Houzz Logo Print
sheronbennett

Help me choose kitchen worktops and possible splashback/tiles

sheronbennett
il y a 8 ans

We are in a dilemma. We are rebuilding our kitchen open plan. We have lots of light from bifolds & window. We have extended our existing hall floor which is travertine tile to the new open area & installed white handleless, gloss units. Husband wants a wow factor kitchen & keen on granite & thinks we should go browns/yellow. I disagree on his choice, finding granite patterns too busy with the travertine floor, & want to stay away from "the brown look". We both don't want wood. I like neutral, eg black or white & wonder about quartz and think it may be easier to then match tiles/splashback. Is black "star galaxy with gold fleck" an option? We are in hardwater area, so would it look water stained? Has black been and gone. Would white be too clinical? Current stuff on kitchen island is just to get an idea of size for template. And chair would be updated. Looking away from kitchen will be current dining table/chairs/doors but wall unit will eventually be replaced.

Please help me choose, give advice to save the sleepless nights wondering what to do as it's holding up the kitchen being finished.

Commentaires (13)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    il y a 8 ans
    Black honed granite yes but busy granites are on the way out, Quartz is the new granite...
    sheronbennett a remercié Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Lauren
    il y a 8 ans
    I agree with Brandi, granite, particularly flecked and dark ones look fairly dated now but I also always found it a bit strange in a kitchen where what you really want is good lighting for food prep.

Quartz looks stunning but also pretty timeless to me. Instantly giving a high end and bright clean effect.
    sheronbennett a remercié Lauren
  • PRO
    Kent Blaxill
    il y a 8 ans

Hi @sheronbennett

Quartz is very much in vogue at the moment, if you need help selecting a worktop that then in touch with our kitchen design experts on 01206 216000 (and ask for kitchens) or email: kitchensandbathrooms@kentblaxill.co.uk with these images.

They'll also be able to advise you on what you can do with a glass splashback. At Kent Blaxill we manufacture & install bespoke glass splashbacks that can be any colour you like AND be templated to have cut-outs for sockets etc! Hugely versatile material! - http://www.kentblaxill.co.uk/home/glass-splashbacks

We hope you find a solution!

Kind regards

KB

sheronbennett a remercié Kent Blaxill
  • Aoife Noone
    il y a 8 ans

Useful answer. What colour worktop would you suggest to go with medium grey satin units? Floor will be vinyl oak or light greyish colour. Can you provide quartz samples?

• Monica
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

I have black granite in my current set up ( inherited from previous owners) and never again, inspite of the kitchen being very bright the black just sucks out all of the light and it looks harsh against the white cabinetry, plus its a mare to keep clean and nice looking. I am in the process of starting my new kitchen and I am very keen on the marble look a like quartz, timeless elegance I think. Good luck xx

• Aoife Noone
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Monica. Would this be too dark?

• sheronbennett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks for all good comments. We are now waiting for worktops to be delivered this week. Gone for white quartz with a fleck through it and mirror sparkly bits. To inject colour and some warmth I am now looking at bright red glass splashback to go on 1 back wall you see. Then possibly either red breakfast stools or red pendant lights for over island unit - think both being red would be too much, so not sure which one to do red? Like the idea of makeover on wood - I have a dark wood wall unit which won't match but am wondering if I can stain it to look more in keeping with my oak dining table. Will post more pictures once next stage moves on.

• Monica
    il y a 8 ans

Yay great to hear you made a decision :), I think red splash, stools or splash and lights would be far to much. How do you feel of painting the legs of the stools red or even better just some red socks on them. Then a red bowl on the island or a quirky vase and it should be just right. Have a play with a few red things once your surfaces are fitted. Cannot wait to see the pics make sure you keep this thread going :)

sheronbennett a remercié Monica
  • sheronbennett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Monica, Don't think I'm brave enough to so just legs on the old kitchen chairs, but agree with waiting till surfaces are fitted and then playing about with other accessories.

• sheronbennett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hi, I've now had quartz worktops fitted in a white with grey and mirror flecks (compact lactea) & attach photos. Cabinets are all done too. My next area is what to do for splashback behind the hob/under the extractor. I originally wanted to do red glass across the length of the wall, but we have had under unit lights fitted below the higher cabinets and at night I can change these to any colour I want. If I do red all across I won't get the effect of the lights. Not even sure red would go? The wooden chairs are going and will be replaced & I still need to choose my island lights (thinking 3 pendants hanging). Husband thinks stainless steel sheet behind hob. I'm not sure this will look right with dark glass hob under it & wonder if it is hard to look clean all the time. What ideas do you all have as you helped with the worktops. I also show the dining table and the new open lounge area (intend to put a rug down). We also still need to find wall lights.

wall colours/splasbacks · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Daniel Woods Kitchens
    il y a 8 ans

This light grey quartz combined with a glass splashback worked well with the white high gloss on a recent kitchen

• PRO
    Broadway Bespoke Kitchens
    il y a 7 ans

We would suggest a Glass Splash back and a nice pale cream or stone coloured granite or quartz. If you have a healthy budget you could look at the new natural stone collection from Corian.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».