Houzz Logo Print
amberburchard

Open shelving in kitchen, yay or nay?

amberburchard
il y a 8 ans
I am considering open shelving instead of upper cabinets in my new kitchen. I will have lots of lower cabinets and a good sized pantry. Will the items stored on open shelves get grimy, especially glassware? Will I regret losing the privacy of closed cabinets?!

Any advice or experience shared is much appreciated!

Commentaires (6)

• PRO
    De Koning architecten BV
    il y a 8 ans

yes

• tatts
    il y a 8 ans

Nay, unless you have a maid or cleaning service. Greasy dust accumulates on any open surface in every kitchen. Too much maintenance.

• PRO
    FLAIR INTERIOR DESIGN
    il y a 8 ans

I agree with everything nnigrt said plus, you have to be very organized to keep everything in its place to look good at all times. Other than that, the look of open shelves can be fantastic.

• PRO
    MG New York Architects
    il y a 8 ans

Agree with the first comment. It definitely depends on the layout, if they are above the stove, next to a window, etc., the cleaning (and organization!) will be frequent. You could definitely mix open shelving with closed cabinets, but you may regret having them all open.

• rghulati
    il y a 6 ans

Yes to open shelving but for decorative things and recipe books only. I wouldn't keep anything I use all the time there, too much dust etc.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».