Houzz Logo Print
milner4535

No eye line on kitchen cupboards

milner4535
il y a 8 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 8 ans

When I installed the kitchen it was a 100% improvement. Now I've gotten used to it, this lack of symmetry is getting on my nerves. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this look more symmetrical without major renovations?

Commentaires (29)

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    il y a 8 ans

Hi! Your walls seem to be a cream/beige colour, contrasting with the white of the cupboards and making the asymmetry more noticeable. Would you consider repainting white?

• milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Unfortunately, it's tiled.
  • milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Do you think a change of door colour would help?
  • krc33
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

This is a hard one. Are all the cupboards the same width? It appears the first cupboard directly beside the fridge is narrower than the others (could be the light).

The cupboard directly above the fridge seems fine and doesn't seem to impact on the symmetry with the remaining cupboards.

One suggestion would be to paint the lower half of the cupboards another colour.

The paint level should come all the way up to be in line with the bottom level of the middle cupboard, sitting directly above the stove.

One might suggest, to go higher with the paint colour and bring it in line with the bottom level with the cupboard above the fridge. Personally, I think because the top of the cupboards are not flush, it would draw too much attention to the area and possibly exaggerate the situation.

The cupboards being a neutral colour seem to blend well into the walls, especially at the top.

Therefore, you could try the original suggestion of painting the lower parts of the cupboards or making a feature out of the middle cupboard (sitting directly above the stove), by painting another colour to the rest.

Anything too drastic may have the opposite effect.

Other than that, if not wanting to replace, you could keep existing cupboards and replace the doors only with a frosted glass panel, like below.

• PRO
    Alphen Construction
    il y a 8 ans

Seems to me the bold handles may be accentuating the lack of symmetry.

If the handles were the same colour as the cabinets it might help. A simple way to test this is to run some white tape over the handles, leave it that way for a week, and see if it makes a difference. If it does, replace the handles with white ones.

Your lighting may also be adding to the problem. I'd suggest removing the spotlights, and installing some of down-lights instead. Also under-cabinet lighting under only the four cabinets that finish at the same height could create a dominant line of symmetry.

While you're at it you may consider three hanging lights above your meals counter (instead of the down-lights) to add another element of symmetry into the scene.

• Barbara Hill
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi. The whole corner cupboard above the microwave seems the problem to me. As suggested earlier, I'd replace that with open shelves continuing on the other side of the window to the end of the bench. Good luck!
  • dahmen
    il y a 8 ans

Looks to me that you still have not got your range hood buy a stainless one to level the cupboards and put under cupboard Strip lighting. I'd get rid of those spot lights and add DOWNLIGHTS and or hanging lights over the breakfast bar.

• krc33
    il y a 8 ans

Yes dahmen a stainless rangehood to sit above the stove would balance out the whole area. Good idea.

• milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Some fantastic ideas. I'll definitely look at the colour of the handles and change the lighting. The cupboard next the fridge is narrower than the others, its an off the shelf kitchen and this size was needed to make it fit.

The lower cupboards to the right could be replaced but the corner cupboard it just that, a corner cupboard and not so easy to integrate into a set of shelves. Do you think the earlier suggestion of a top to bottom shelf would help, if I just replace the end one? Also, the extractor is hidden under cupboard.

The cupboards are those very shiny white and not so easy to paint. I would be happy to replace them though.

The ideas are fantastic, thank you so much for your suggestions any more ideas will also be very welcome.
  • portpiro
    il y a 8 ans

I'd paint those benchtop supports white and remove the track lighting. Install shelves on the right side of the window and declutter the counter tops. Even lining up the things under the fridge magnets would help. Tiles can be easily painted white so there's less going on. Can the bonsai go on the window ledge?

• kooky_karen
    il y a 8 ans

I do not think that painting them or changing handles will make any difference.

My suggestion is to change the cupboard on the left of the range-hood to the same depth as the one over the range-hood and replace that door with one large one and remove the door to left of stove and have open shelving for cookery books.

Good luck.

• merylinfaye
    il y a 8 ans

Try taking everything off all the benches except the microwave and the bonsai, take the notes off the fridge and perhaps create a notice board somewhere else in the home, take the things off the top of the fridge too as the colour of them draws the eye to them. That saying of 'less is more' really comes into play here. Yes paint the supports on the breakfast bar and may be find some less chunky handles and keep them stainless steel. When you take the next photo which would be good for you to post, turn all the lights on so we can see it without the things on the bench. One other thing that may help you might be to choose a colour you love and use it sparingly maybe in the form of pendant lights over the breakfast bar. Best wishes and would love to see what you try.

Try the simple less expensive things first.

• robandlyn
    il y a 8 ans

Not wanting to be picky, but the first thing I saw was the clutter in the kitchen, not the lack of symmetry! Clearing away the clutter, especially the trays on top of the fridge, will make a difference to the feel.

• milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi. You are right. There is way too much 'stuff'. This is partially the result of a current renovation elsewhere in the house and lack of love for the kitchen. However, when the kitchen is cleared and tidy it doesn't look much better. I agree, the clutter doesn't help but the lack of symmetry will still be there when I tidy. Your input is very much appreciated.
  • karentremaine
    il y a 8 ans
    If you could paint the walls white (if that is an option) the difference in cupboard heights would be much less prominent and the area where the m/wave is will not stand out as much. Extending the one shorter cupboard down so it's in line with the other cupboards over the stove top ( not that expensive to do if you can match the colour or do a fascia in stainless steel) will streamline that area. I like the door handles you have as they tie everything together. I agree that removing the hanging light could be changed for 2 more matching down lights to simplify the ceiling.
  • milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    The centre cupboard is lower due to the regulated distance from cupboard to cooker top so, unfortunately, I won't be able to bring it down any. There's been some fantastic suggestions on here and I will definitely be implementing some and reposting a photo in the future.
  • lindarath
    il y a 8 ans

Declutter! Distract!

• Di Thomas
    il y a 8 ans

I so agree with Alphen Construction - on first glance, it is definitely the handles that are drawing the eye to changes in height. I would definitely try Alphen Constructions' suggestion re 'blocking out the handles with tape' to see how you like the effect. Take a photo when you do it, you can then compare. I think I would remove the handle from the cupboard over the fridge and the cupboard over the stove. I wonder if a steel extractor fan that would take that cupboard to the same level as the other cupboards might be an effective trick, it would also tie in the steel of the fridge, oven and appliances. Under cabinet lighting is needed in my opinion. I do hope you will be able to enjoy your kitchen because it is lovely. I wish you all the best.

• Jasun Vare
    il y a 8 ans
    A panel (eg stainless) behind stove leading up to the fan cabinet will help.

Narrow artwork across on the right side bulkhead?
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

Paint the bulkhead on the top right the same white as the kitchen cupboards. Cheap fix.

• Kate
    il y a 8 ans

I suggest declutter and this will make it like it was when first installed. Turn the microwave around to flat on the back wall. This will narrow the space between stove and microwave and may help with the symmetry. This costs nothing. Then add in A feature like a bonsai stand to draw you eye to something pleasing.

• milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Better?
  • milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    The pendants hide the lack of symmetry. Thank you for your advice!!!
  • Ann B
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi. Wow! Love the new pendants. Well done. Are you happier with your kitchen now?
  • PRO
    Alphen Construction
    il y a 7 ans

Looking good. The three pendant lights definitely provide the symmetry that was missing. And now that the spotlights are gone, the shadows they created aren't adding to the confusion anymore.

• dahmen
    il y a 7 ans

Much better!

• milner4535
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks everyone. Much happier now Anne. I think you were all very polite not to make too much of the clutter.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».