Houzz Logo Print
farmhouseology

Little girls bedroom - cheetah print help!

Farmhouseology
il y a 8 ans

My daughter LOVES cheetah print but I envision a fun vintage farmhouse bedroom for her (spindle bed, ship lap, etc). I'm not afraid of color, but I have no idea how to subtly incorporate what she loves (and she loves the "real" looking black cheetah print, not the pink, purple, etc). Any thoughts on how to mesh the two? It might be helpful to know that wall color will be light Aqua and bed will be yellow.

Help please!

Commentaires (25)

• Jennifer K
    il y a 8 ans

I think if you want "natural" cheetah print to go, you need to start with your inspiration fabric and then pick bedding that co-ordinates and then a wall colour you can live with. I doubt those colours will be aqua and yellow.

Here's a cheetah pic analyzed by Sherwin Williams paint tool:

Farmhouseology a remercié Jennifer K
  • Bev
    il y a 8 ans

I made a reversible coat several years ago for myself that has faux cheetah fur on one side. Aqua definitely would not go with those colors. If you have trouble finding a faux cheetah fur pillow, I would be able to make you one because I happen to have leftover fabric from my coat!

Farmhouseology a remercié Bev
  • Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you both for your feedback! I don't think I explained it well...she chose the blue walls and yellow bed...she's very into the bright fun colors. I chose the style bed (spindle) and wall treatment. She just wants to make sure we incorporate cheetah prints and pictures, and I want to make sure I do that for her. Just looking for best ways to do that with keeping with the main color scheme- Aqua, orange, pink, yellow, lime, teal. Maybe a cheetah print chair or pillows? Also considered a wall decal. Thanks again!

• Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

So true Alicia, I totally agree with you!

• Jennifer K
    il y a 8 ans

So have you bought the paint and bedding yet? If not, you might want to have her pick out some favourite cheetah pictures and use a palettizer like the SW one I used. She may change her mind and come up with a more cohesive look. And whatever happens, it will be a fun activity to do together.

Otherwise, print and frame her favourite cheetah pics in white frames. As her interests change, she can print out other pics and replace the cheetahs.

• Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Jennifer, we only have the bedding so far ...paisley bright colors, we are all over the place lol!

I love your idea of framing cheetah pics she loves and changing them out as her interests change.

• Jennifer K
    il y a 8 ans

quilt is super pretty!

• Bev
    il y a 8 ans

Pretty, very girly bedding!

• suezbell
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Aqua will clash with bold cheetah print colors.

Pic a pale solid color cheetah underbelly pale tan for the walls and curtains but ...

Do encourage your daughter to find cheetah prints to frame with plain black metal frames that can later be used for diplomas.

Do use a double curtain rod and do add a bold cheetah print valance in fabric of your daughter's choosing as well as bold cheetah print tie backs.

Begin the bedding with a matching cheetah underbelly pale tan for a bed skirt and matching pair of cheetah underbelly pale tan pillow shams ... but ...

Do encourage your daughter go bold with an additional pair of cheetah print pillow shams and cheetah print comforter /spread and cheetah print throw pillows, even a pair of cheetah print sheets if she can find them (after all it's her room).

Do take your daughter to the fabric store and encourage your daughter to create her own quilt with squares of the colors she loves.

Black metal headboards -- or yellow painted metal headboards -- and other black furniture can be painted white or another color later as taste change. Help your daughter choose wisely so she can adapt her room as her decorating taste evolves.

A cheetah print would look good over a black metal headboard with a yellow sunrise in it.

http://headboardspot.com/wp-content/uploads/el-sol-wrought-iron-headboard-metal-finish-satin-black-size-twin-492920535.jpg

Farmhouseology a remercié suezbell
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    il y a 8 ans

You are only a child once!

I would go with her vision since it is her room. Her vision could provide a girl's room that spans beyond the little kid years.

Farmhouseology a remercié Design Intervention
  • er612
    il y a 8 ans

Can you return the bedding? If not, might she consider leopard instead of cheetah? If so, a chair like the one below would work well with a bright pillow.

If she doesn't like leopard, look for an upholstered chair on Craigslist. Paint the frame pink, blue, orange (any bright color) and reupholster in leopard fabric. Here's an example of the fabric…
    Here's a reupholstered chair with a painted frame...

Farmhouseology a remercié er612
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

Why not just some framed photos of cheetahs in bright colored frames. If she has a desk some desktop items with a print. Young girls change their tastes often , don't go overboard it will be something new soon.

Farmhouseology a remercié User
  • Barbara Almandarz
    il y a 8 ans

First find a bedspread she loves and you can live with. Then think more safari earthy inspiration that actual farmhouse. Just make sure the bed and larger furniture will work for both your tastes as hers will probably evolve over time.

Farmhouseology a remercié Barbara Almandarz
  • Bev
    il y a 8 ans

My granddaughter, who is now 12 going on 13, has gone through the purple and pink bedroom; blue and lime green stripes; and now, she is into the teal trend. She has chosen a very grown up looking bedroom set that is painted with metallic like silver paint. It's gorgeous!

• Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Rollinggirl those were my thoughts exactly which is why I am looking for less permanent ways to incorporate her current love of all things cheetah :)

er612, I LOVE the idea of a brightly painted chair frame with animal print upholstery!

Thank you all for your suggestions !

• er612
    il y a 8 ans

Below are some rooms that successfully mix colors and patterns. Might give you ideas.

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    I agree with the comment about the frames. Have her pick a lot of cheetah pictures she likes, then go thrifting for fun frames. Then have an art project of painting the frames in the colors that match her bedspread. you could put the pictures all over or pick one wall and hang them all gallery style. if she doesn't have any already, get her some leopard print house slippers and robe to keep at the side of her bed. those don't have to match the décor lol
  • User
    il y a 8 ans
    also, I'm about to be 33 and never outgrew my love of cheetah lol!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 8 ans

Cheetah print storage boxes, cheetah print frames......a cheetah print toss pillow....whatever. Close your eyes!!!! The walls will be pasted with friends and rock stars in no time, and side tables and dresser littered with every small doo dad you can imagine. Sort of a very first world problem huh?

http://www.google.com/search?q=cheetah+print+boxes&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4-oOfi-3LAhVF_R4KHf5CDSYQsAQINg

Farmhouseology a remercié JAN MOYER
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

er612, I LOVE your examples. We're currently negotiating changes to my 7-year-old's room (she wants black walls?!), and they are right up her alley.

I like the idea of incorporating the cheetah with a couple of small pillows or storage boxes. It probably won't "go" but she'll love it and it will be easy to change when she wants something else.

I love that you're giving her some control over her room!

• Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Er612...thank you so much for the inspiration pics...that first room is right in line with what we're hoping for.

I talked to my daughter about her room again today since after reading all your suggestions, I didn't want to force her to choose something she doesn't love.. She definitely wants the blue walls and yellow bed. And cheetah pics! We'll probably do cheetah sheets, some cheetah pillows, and brightly framed cheetah pics....unless of course she changes her mind before that lol.

thanks all!

• er612
    il y a 8 ans

I asked before if you can return the bedding…if you can, you could easily pair leopard print accent pillows with simpler bedding. Ex. Striped throw pillow and sheets from Land of Nod. Duvet cover set from Overstock.

• er612
    il y a 8 ans

Turns out your daughter has great taste. Once I changed the bedding, incorporating cheetah print was a breeze.

• Farmhouseology
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Love that style board!!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».