Houzz Logo Print
helplesshouse

Get your sunglasses on because this is bright!

helplesshouse
il y a 8 ans

I've painted an antique Ogee chest, which was a bit past it, in a range of gold colours that I made up myself. On top of that, I've added some gold leaf. Now the whole thing is shining like a beacon. I'm looking for a way to tone it down in the hope I can get it to go with my newly decorated bedroom which is cream and gold coloured. I start laughing every time I see it, which is not the hoped for relaxing and serene space I thought I was heading for. Any thoughts would be very welcome indeed and thanks in advance.

Commentaires (350)

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

If I may [!?] the neutrals are nicely mixing, but what about no more off-whites at all? Not saying adding gold is easier, but an idea. :) Looks 'trim' and has a nice shape.

helplesshouse a remercié everdebz
  • suezbell
    il y a 7 ans

Do replace all the knobs. If you leave the drawer fronts gold, then don't use gold knobs.

While you have the knobs off, you might consider repainting the face of the drawers only -- black, preferably -- and then you could use any kind of knobs that suit your taste -- preferably something interesting.

http://www.inthecreation.com/cdn-contents/2015/10/24/antique-glass-knobs-glass-cabinet-knobs-unique-cabinet-knobs-cheap.jpg

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    I know this is a bit pricey.
    helplesshouse a remercié lynartist
  • helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi suezbell, do you mean the knobs on the big gold chest?

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Everdebz, you could be on to something. Who knew there were thousands of shades of white? (Well, Lynartist, obviously. But who else?) Gold could be an easier option.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

HH , there are a lot of artists on this thread, so I'd say most of them knew. White dilemmas are among the hardest on Houzz. I mix them with abandon.

helplesshouse a remercié User
  • helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

In my case it would be abandon hope all ye who enter here:)

• User
    il y a 7 ans

Ah, but they are here for you.

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Keep the knobs why not? But lessen the gold, like with this gold in glass instead....Hard cause I can't see the wallpaper, but another idea, still elegant imo.

Amora Lighting Tiffany Style AM021TL14 21-inch Geometric Table Lamp White · Plus d'infos

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Everdebz, thanks for the idea, but I was hoping to go in a more contemporary direction. But I'll be out gold hunting today.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

The original had an offensive word, but this doesnt

• User
    il y a 7 ans

Very hard to find a covered photo of Anna Nicole Smith! Even her wedding dress was unsuitable for Dubai! This will have to do.

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

If you want, tell the material and detail of the nightstands are? Did you buy it with gold knobs.......

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    Everdebz, HH just refurbished these! Now we need to help her find lamps that look wonderful with them. They find have to be gold necessarily but a bit of gold in them would be nice. A little warmer white also . Don't mind that they are tall but not so wide as the chests themselves are not so wide.
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Especially if knobs are metal, again glass worth a look. 16.5" and 29" tall:

Meda Art Glass Lamp · Plus d'infos

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    That's nice everdebz. Here are some more . I have tried quite a few but this chest seems to like a simple, more feminine shape. You may want to look for glass or crystal or even a pretty accent color.
  • lessismoore
    il y a 7 ans

I would want to mix them up due to variation in dresser heights.
    ?

helplesshouse a remercié lessismoore
  • lessismoore
    il y a 7 ans

Doesn't show unless I clickon it? weird.

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks for a great selection, they all look lovely. Today I looked and found these available here.

Didn't check price

Bloomingdales

Beautiful heavy brass, but pricey at over $1,000

West Elm about $200 nice, I could paint the base white?

West Elm choices

Kartel Plastic in different colours

Kartel smallish but nice colour

This is a shop window. They are real fish.

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

1st glass [?] one ok.... Kartel could be nice even with the hot pink shade... :) or the other. Tiny Kartel's gold seemed almost bronze..... are your feet tired....

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Kind of wish you'd buy art instead - is there a reason [other than general darkness!!] for the lamps first?

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Oh, forgot that lynartist's observation seemed true about rounded simple shapes... to me they let the stands be seen. The sculptural ones --would be effective less [against wallpaper] but in person idk.... ?

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks Everdebz, I actually wanted to get mirrors to go above the bedside tables first, but sadly, can't find what I'm looking for here. Well, not yet anyway. You can't import stuff here, you have to buy through local suppliers and the choices are limited and more expensive. Still, at least supporting the local economy! I chose lamps because I thought it would be easier and fairly straightforward to find them. Yet another miscalculation on my part!

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

What about those mirrors?

Glancing down I noticed the 'gold column' - nice?

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    These maybe
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Possibly the column's simple look would highlight what's already in the room. There are different golds too.... do you have any extra knobs to bring around? little thing, but I'd probably do that. :)

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    Most of the gold ones are SO Gold! A softer gold would be better. These stands are a bit feminine so think softer lines.
  • lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    I don't think think you need mirrors here! Just great lamps.
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

oops lyn I thought you were OP.... yes let the group of knobs be the shiniest things.... and a softer gold yeh!

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

How over-the-top are you thinking "Helpless house"? ;-)

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    This one really rings my bell. I love the soft Aqua color, the retro look picks up on the style of the chest and the gold is very subtle. A little color wouldn't hurt but that's up to you HH.
  • emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

That one is also my favorite Lynn.

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Seeing plenty of details, I still think of plain and simple too - the opposite of detailed.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/sybil-table-lamp/s444419?source=igodigital&_=1467859495544

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I thought I would try out how colours look against the wallpaper, chest and bed fabric using stuff I already have. Also loved the Crate and Barrel simple lamp and I have shades that exact same colour from an earlier bit of decorating. So here are the results.

Bronzish gold

Oyster coloured shade (ignore the pink desk lamp underneath, please, have raided daughter's bedroom)

Mix of oyster coloured shade and bronzish base.

Blue

Grey

Black

Shell Coloured

Green

Dark Green

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    I like these
  • lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    And this
  • User
    il y a 7 ans

I've forgotten, what colours are your bedding and rug going to be? Window treatments?

• emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

I like the blue and the smoke colored glass.

helplesshouse a remercié emmarene9
  • helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

New bedside lamps from Wonderland.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

The palm trees?

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Yes, how about 8ft tall gold and white sparkly lights!

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Do your stands have a tropical look up close? I asked before what material, cause I thought maybe a wicker....

• helplesshouse
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Everdebz, I'm not sure how you would classify the fronts of the bedside tables. Here is a picture. It looks a bit like hearts to me, what do you think? The fronts are made of leather. Also found these today in the same shop as the giant palm trees. Mad or what?

• luvourhome
    il y a 7 ans

Ooohhhhhh....adding Atlantis Palm Hotel to my Bucket List of places to visit!! I'm a fish/marine/ocean/SCUBA/explorer nerd. Thank-you for the pictures!!

I had dinner at the Orlando SeaWorld Shark tank, but the place in Dubai looks even more amazing!! Plus, there are so many other interesting things to do in Dubai.

Now I just have to win that lottery, lol.

helplesshouse a remercié luvourhome
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Nightstand a bit glossy? and a pattern on wp pattern....... the leopard is too / so much....

• lessismoore
    il y a 7 ans

Apparently, when shopping/building in Dubai, there is no such thing as "over the top." Reaching beyond the beyond and then, just a bit farther.

helplesshouse a remercié lessismoore
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Oh our OP lives in Dubai...now I know... too bad I didn't read your thread from the beginning - so I saw your new chandelier, very nice. In your plan, is there a color?

• emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

Yes, they seem to market to a certain clientele there in Dubai.

• lynartist
    il y a 7 ans
    Very Vegas Baby;)
  • helplesshouse a remercié everdebz
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».