Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28519773

Help me nail down counter, back splash and cabinet colors

User
il y a 8 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 8 ans

Hi Houzzers, I just got bids for updating kitchen counters and painting cabinets.

If I can make a final decision on color choices, I can get the project underway.

I need both to coordinate with the tile flooring. (Wishing we would have carried the wood into the kitchen, but we didn't).

I like a lot of different things. Trying to decide if I should be safe or interesting.

My safe thought is a white subway, with greyish quarts, white cabinets. Or... White cabinets, marble looking quartz with grey subway?

TORN between white, grey or greage painted cabinets. Grey or traditional looking quartz that mimics marble.

Or something all together different. One thing I don't want is: speckled counters, typical granite.

Whatever I choose needs to compliment or go withfloors. I prefer something that won't date. I also have a brick fireplace in adjoining room, and have considered some sort or stacked stone to mimic it? I do like the feel of brick in a kitchen. Also like carrera marble subway tiles.

Note: small kitchen, so not many spaces or an island that I could get too creative with.Probably doing glass fronts on upper cabs, all around or on one side only.

Here's my floors & some inspiration I like:

I really like the subtle grey quartz, looks like marble.shown in small sample top row, right.

*Thinking of greage cabs, (either lighter or darker than floor) with one of the top two quartz samples shown here?↓ Not sure about back splash?

Commentaires (121)

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Hi everyone, so I went to another granite yard this morning, had miles of choices. I cannot find 1 granite I like with my tile. I fell in love with soapstone, and it looked great with the tile. I also found a few marbles and quartz I like.

Anyone have soapstone? I've read how durable it is.

There was a Calcutta Gold that was to die for, it looked good with my tile too. I can see a soapstone with the Calcutta subway backslash looking really nice.

Thoughts anyone?

I read an article about achieving a kitchen that will stand the test of time, the main thing I took away, was to stick with earth tones, (which I love).. So. . With that thought in mind, it will keep me grounded with choices. I did confirm, in the outdoor light, that my tile has no pink undertones and it's purely neutral type color. So that was helpful. My biggest delimma when it comes to the kitchen, is going darker counters/ lighter cabs or visa versa.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

OMG!!! Yes soapstone with the Calcutta gold subway tiles, white cabinets!!!! Fabulous....I think it will really tie in the tile on your floor and look so classic...I am not a fan of solid black granite...shows every spot and fingerprint....seem to humdrum for you Willow...soapstone on the other hand is perfect!

User a remercié Home Interiors with Ease
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Oh good! I felt like the combo would work, in my head, but after I saw them together, I felt confident. There is a Deep dark grey/near black, with faint colored sand streaks running through it, that I like. There's also a concrete looking color with streaks in it. Not sure what color I want. Was Thinking the dark, but then I wont have the light kitchen I somewhat wanted. For some reason, I'm not feeling the light cabs and light counters with my floor.

If I can't find Calcutta gold back splash subways, what other backslash do you recommend? Will the penny style look too busy?

And if the floor is laid in a brick pattern, will it look okay to mimic it, with subway? I really love the soapstone. And relived that the Calcutta Gold went with my tile. If only I had the app to put that in my kitchen to confirm that's the exact look I want.

Home Interiors, based on my others rooms, which you've seen, does that seem to flow in your opinion?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Willow if you do the Calcutta I Would do the Calcutta penny tiles with the lightest soapstone....off white cabinets..believe me it will be a light kitchen...but have a classic warm feeling! I think it will blend beautiful with your home.

check out SW Shoji White it might be the perfect warm white for your cabinets...if you had a couple glass door cabinets you could add eclectic pottery in all shades of whites to stack for display. I actually think you could accent with the teal of the gorgeous sideboard in the dining room could trickle into the kitchen.

check out the floors in both the images..warm neutral tiles!!

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Willow, I'm having a tough time knowing which samples you are discussing. It would help a lot if you'd put little sticky notes with numbers on the samples under consideration. Maybe it's just me that is struggling to follow:)

User a remercié Ann
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Ann, I'll work on sticky notes, good idea! ;)

Okay here's what I really like.....

My kitchen is shown above with hideous pinkish cabs. Neutral limestone tiles.

Have to leave floors.

All other photos I've posted are things I like.

Today I decided I'm in love with soapstone, it goes very well with my tile. Can't find a granite I like. I like a few quartz, nothing overly busy and nothing completely solid.

Here's the backslash I like. Calcutta gold marble subway. (Below)

I'll work on numbering my ideas/likes.

I'm trying to decide between:

1) light cabs,light backsplash, light counters. Cabs:(Light greige, light grey, white)

2) medium cabs, dark or light counters. (cabs:(Grey, greige).

3) Light cabs, light backsplash, dark counter).

I want personality, but classic.

Hope this helps make some sense:

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Willow if you decide on the Calcutta gold subway tiles...you could have them installed in a stacked pattern rather than brick..it is a very clean more modern touch you might really like.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Home Interiors, i do love the penny Calcutta, but kinda loving the colors in the subway, might be too busy though?

I actually am planning on doing some glass cab fronts ( seeded glass solid pane).

(We are trying to decide where to move the microwave. Options are top left or right of oven, bottom right of oven. Or other side next to pantry, or husband said let's build it into pantry?)

We want to open the center and do a hood, nothing fancy. Something simple like this, with a shelf, but not a stainless piece.

I like this shelf maybe, but under hood.

We are having the bar cut down to same size as other counter level, like this↓

Might add cabs to ceiling on dishwasher side, or a large molding that gives the impression, of cabs going to ceiling. Or tile above cabs in the open space above? ?

And I'd love to create the look in this photo around my frig. There is a closet next to frig. So my frig woulda still be next to counters, but we could do some wood work that makes it feel built in? ??

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

All sounds great!

The Calcutta gold Penny tiles are a more subtle pattern than the subway..the subway have a much more pronounced pattern....

In my house in Michigan we put the micro in the pantry on one of the shelves so when doors are closed micro was out of sight! and drilled a hole in the back of cabinet that connected to behind fridge so we could plug it in and not see any cord. I am sure your electrician could add a plug in your cabinet during construction...we did it after the fact. I loved having it hidden away. Love the large pantry around the fridge idea..looks beautiful.

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

I like your option 2 (with medium cabs). With light tile floors (I have light tile too), it's tough to get the "light cabinet look" right. So, I think more contrast between the floor and cabs is useful.

User a remercié Ann
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Ann, exactly... When I see picks of light cabs with light tile floors, I don't like the look as much. My cabs now are light, don't like the pinkish tint to them, but besides that, I don't mind, the light on light, maybe because they are wood, it works better, don't really know. My concern with doing a medium tone is making sure if it's greige, that they aren't too close to the floor. I guess if I do medium cabs, I can do the dark or light counters. I think once I can decice on the counter the other part will be easy. Have you had soap stone? i really like it, but read it can show wet spots for a while. Hmmmmm......

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

I love soapstone but I don't have any. I chose a dark quartzite that looks much like soapstone. I wanted the durability of natural quartzite and something like the look of soapstone. This is my quartzite.

Most soapstone owners seem very happy with it.

My House · Plus d'infos

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

I think the smallest square in this pic is a counter option that blends nicely with your floor - if you decide on light counters.

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

A color like these cabinets (but paint rather than the wood) would look very nice with your floor and a light counter.

Chelsea Loft · Plus d'infos

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

If you choose a mid tone for your cabs, be sure it's a pretty warm rather than cool gray. I've seen lots of dilemmas where the OP was sorry about choosing a gray too cool, that almost ended up with a blue tone.

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

This would be a great cabinet color (the color of this island) but I don't what the color is.

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Willow why not just do your all white kitchen..but go easy on the gray....do you have any gray in your home? An all white kitchen with warm oak floors is done all the time...your floor is a soft warm neutral...you don't have to pull out the gray....maybe best to stick with all shades of white. Just a thought:) gray is very trendy.....I am afraid as soon as everyone has added gray to their home it will be on its way out. White is just so classic.

• acm
    il y a 8 ans

(maybe you've gone all the way to soapstone -- check on how it has to be sealed/handled, as it's quite different from the other stones -- but in your initial post, I really thought that the top quartz in the first pic did a good job of catching tones from your floor. then gray, greige, or white cabinets as you see fit.)

User a remercié acm
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Home Interiors, yes...I'm worried about the gray too, and I only have 2 grey chairs in my house/living room. White is probably best. My sons are telling me the white quartz/marbles remind them of great grandmas bathroom. Ha....so I might be going with a black. For some reason to me a white/cream overall look, looks really old fashion/outdated but not in the cool European "old" way. I'd love to have a bit of updated vibe, but also have some good "old classic/European old" feel.... Does that even make sense?

suggestions on achieving that?

do you think the black soapstone with white veining, and white cabs and Calcutta backsplash will have that look.

It's hard to know how to updated, with a modern yet classic/euro feel.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

This is nice

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Ann, Thank you for the feedback. The smallest sample in my pic was my first choice from the samples the installer had, it was quartz. I'm on the fence about light verses dark.

Your counters are very nice! Love the color variation.

Right now. .. I'm leaning towards a dark soap stone with minimal light veining, the subway Calcutta gold back splash, posted earlier, and greige or soft white cabs.

What is your opinion on that combo?

I'm actually used to a light kitchen, you can see the floors and cabs in my photos, and I have light white/cream Formica, so hoping is the black with feel amazing and not strange, ha. I think I want the soapstone for the unique veining and I like the casual feel of it. I'll get the marble I so love, in a backsplash? ??

I'm hoping black won't make the room feel smaller.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Agree Ann.. many of the grey colors are too cool. Cool tones don't work with my floor. The typical marble that is white and grey, is a bad match. The Ones that have gold work nice, like the Calcutta gold.

I've noticed the greys I like end up looking a bit green at night, which I don't want. Although, I heard green cabs are going to be a thing? ?

Grey seems very hard to choose, some even have a purple hint.

I guess I could try to match the grey to my grey chairs, but they might have a touch of Blue.

Maybe white is safe.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I think after seeing this pic of the soapstone, I'm decided! I love how it ages and feels old and will patina. Okay... I'll reserve the right to change my mind, ( I second guess myself sometimes),but I'm pretty certain. Just have to hunt the right slab. I think the shine of granite and quartz was not working with my tile floor, and didn't find a honed look of one of those I'd want more than soapstone.

Then decide backsplash and paint color.

• Ann
    il y a 8 ans

That soapstone is pretty. I agree that marble looking counters could be too white based for your floor. I know what you mean about shiny - my slab of quartzite was polished and I spent extra to have it leathered before fabrication. I really, really love its leathered finish.

I think your plan sounds nice but just really be picky about the paint color of your cabs. It's so important that color work really well with your floors and the two don't have different undertones. Sometimes white or light cabs just don't work out too well with a light tile floor. It's a whole different situation with wood floors which are such a nice complement to white cabinets.

User a remercié Ann
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I hear ya Ann. I will have to mull over all sorts of whites. Thank you. If you think of any let me know. I'm going to try one that Home Interiors listed. I have a few that might work that I picked up from SW.

Here's an inspiration photo I just came across. The tile floor is a little darker than mine, and the cabs are dark, but very interesting. No island in my kitchen so I ignore that. And open shelving while it looks nice, just can't pull off in a house where storage is slim.

In love with this kitchen. .......

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

The look of the kitchen above is one of my favorites so far, with dark counters. I'm not sure I should go dark on my cabs, and not sure this kitchen would look as good if the cabs were lighter.

I'd imagine the subway Calcutta would have a similar look as the white subway shown above, but also like this look. I'm so tempted to remove upper cabs, but don't know if I have the nerve.

Does anyone think dark cabs on the bottom and light uppers in my kitchen would look okay? Does that end up looking choppy in real life in a smaller space?

I could do glass fronts on uppers on oven side, if I left the uppers, to get a little more open feel??? Wondering if the open shelf look will soon look dated? Although, I know that is very European, so maybe not.

Also, I can visualize this tile looking good as an accent tile in the blank space above the oven, in the photo above. (I love this type of tile), but also questioning accent tiles. My kitchen has those awful burgundy accent tiles, which at one time we loved, early 90's, afterwards....I wished it was all the same cream tile, I don't think it would have felt as outdated after about 10 years.

Wondered if this sort of tile lends itself to classic rather than dated.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Tabarka Mediterranean Terra Cotta Tile · Plus d'infos

I was going to pick a slab this week and then schedule the painter to come before the counters were scheduled to be installed, but I'm now thinking, I should have the painting done afterwards, because it's so hard to decide what color will look/feel best.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Hey Willow I know the Calcutta and white tiles are both subway But....they will not give the same look..only good old white subway with gloss glaze will give that old Classic look....the Calcutta will not give the shine or depth because it is flat just like your countertop..(unless you found beveled)....the warm wood cabinets in your inspiration picture is awesome but again painted cabinets will not give the same warm look...the picture above really does capture your eclectic style. I would keep cabinets light and add wood shelving In place of some of your cabinets....maybe add wood shelves In place of the pantry around you fridge you talked about...add wonderful black iron brackets to give that old European feel...use soapstone for sure it is fabulous!!....another thought.....could you have your lower cabinets refaced with wood? Leave uppers white? I love the accent tiles but that's a whole other discussion :))

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Home Interiors. That was also a thought, we've considered, of having cabs sanded and stained. For some reason, the inspiration photo, perimeter cabs look painted dark grey to me. Maybe not. I found it on line, not Houzz, so don't know the details.

I can see where the basic subway will feel different than the marble. I do like that old classic look, and do like the beveled. I guess I need to explore what the main difference would be as far as looks.

I like the open shelf, and wood idea with the brackets. Probably a lot less expensive than new cabs or even painting the cabs. My only concern is a cluttered look.

Anyone on here reading this have open shelf for cabs? Glass fronts might be a happy medium? Maybe with the white subway carried to the ceiling around them and the microwave moved, and a tiled hood as in photo.

I'm thinking about darker cabs on bottom and light on top. Whatever I do needs to stay classic. What are your thoughts on (bottom dark, top light) in my kitchen?

I found a slab today, but the veining looks wee tad green, which I can't handle, so she's going to source me one that is a more concrete or sand colored veining. I have time to ponder the cabs and backsplash.

Here's a pick of a slab with my tile. Picture is a bit dark.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Here's also some paint colors, kinda hard to tell.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Excited, I found the website with all the details of the inspiration photo!

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/steal-this-look-made-kitchen-in-new-york/

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

My other thought is to find a kitchen table or have one made that looks and feels like an island, counter height, to have the feel and look of and island? As in the photos.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Wow that is great!!! Ok so the island was rustic wood...looks like the lower cabinets are a almost black...love the hardware! Love the flat uncomplicated door fronts...could you replace yours before painting..it would be awesome. The warm rustic wood island does add to the European feel...could you do your shelves in a rustic wood? Willow with your ability of arranging things so nice...I think your open shelves would always look great.....it is almost needed to really pull off this look!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

I am doing a lake house right now and we are putting a rustic farmers table in the kitchen instead of an island with a chandelier and you are not going to believe it but using two of the Gray Ikat printed Horchow host chairs at each end....Fabulous!!!!

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Oh wow! ! Those are great, I'm so glad you get to use those, I know how much you like them! Anytime i see some remotely similar, i think of you. Love the Ikat! Is this your lake house, or a clients? It sounds amazing!

Yes I'd love to do a similar cab door, I'll have to see if it's in my budget, to switch those out. I'm liking the open cab idea more and more.

If I end up working with what I already have, and either leaving the micro or moving it and doing a tiled hood, open glass front upper cabs with tile to the ceiling around them, I'm hoping to get a similar look, of course won't be identical, that kitchen is laid out much better than mine. I want it classic, but interesting. And you know me, I like to mix things up.

• User
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Willow, it's been a busy week, so I'm just trying to catch up with comments, and I just wanted to say that I love your picks so far. It feels as though you are going in the direction of a very timeless and elegant kitchen. Gorgeous! Love the contrast of the light with dark. Will read the comments more carefully over the weekend.

User a remercié User
  • PRO
    Venezia Stone, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

I like all of your ideas, here is a slab of super white that I think could go very well with your tiles, paint and backsplash.

User a remercié Venezia Stone, Inc.
  • Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans
    Willow, I love your tile floor w/ tumbled stone look. That's what I wanted but my wife wanted rectified tile. Your tile has cream tones. For backsplash, I wanted crema marfil beveled tiles. Got overruled on that, too, though I'm happy w/ what we have. I think crema marfil would be totally harmonious w/ floor. Re wood in K, good friends did major K reno w/ wood floors. She said it was worst design choice she ever made. Their new house has stone. She wouldn't look at house w/ wood flooring in K.
    User a remercié Bruce Crawford
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 8 ans

Hey Wiilow...not my Lakehouse..wish it was!! A clients on Lake Michigan...I did their home last year and when I moved still wanted me to work remotely on the Lakehouse design....it has actually worked out very well to my surprise... Anymore new ideas or have you narrowed it down?

• Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans
    Willow, I love soapstone but my wife didn't want dark countertops. Earlier in week you ask about different cabinet treatments. Re open shelves, we live in Quakefornia, so no chance. Plus my wife's not O-C enough to fuss w/ keeping everything looking "just-so". You mentioned beveled glass. We used it sparingly, over sink & over desk of hutch. We also used lattice over garage & on tall ceiling-to-counter cab of hutch. Pic's attached. I know it's not your color palette, but you can see variety of cab doors.
  • Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

I can see why white kitchens appeal to a lot of people, but I'm a bacteriologist by formal trng. & spent a lot of time in labs once upon a time. White kitchens remind me of those days. I keep looking for my microscope & petri dishes. I like Willow's soapstone b/c it adds vital contrast. I also spent a lot of time at sea on haze gray ships, including riding out Nadine, record-setting typhoon. Consequently one won't see much white or gray in my house. No gray, actually, & white is limited to ultra-white moulding & baseboard when they're not stained oak. Both tubs are also white. That's about it.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you for feedback everyone!

>Venezia stone, very interesting stone. Thank you. I'll look into that. Similar to floor.

>Bruce, nice kitchen you have there, very pretty cabs! I have to say I love my wood floors, and regret not putting them in kitchen, but I'll have to embrace this tile and make it look good with my other choices. I might do some seeded glass cab fronts if I don't do open shelves. I'm a little OC myself, so the shelves would need to stay looking perfect, ha! I guess that would help in weeding down on unnecessary items that are never used.

>Home Interiors, no new ideas, just thinking about cab colors/shelving and microwave.

>thank you, Cabinets 4U! I will read up on that.

Heres where my thoughts are as of now-

Choices are:

(*still like dark soapstone)

cabs/microwave:

a). Dark bottom cabs as in inspiration pick with open shelves done as pic, or wood shelves done as other pic I posted with iron brackets.

b). Dark bottom cabs, light uppers with glass on some.

c). Light soft white cabs throughout, use Calcutta in that scenario for contrast between cabs and wall tile color. (Do some glass fronts).

d). Greige cabs throughout either one of the subways in white tiles or Calcutta. Do some glass fronts. (Accessible beige Sherwin William SW sample) is one I have in my kitchen now that looks good.

still love the tiled hood/ really like the idea of tile to ceiling.

Pondering where to move microwave, it's such a big one. Leave it, move to upper or lower near fridge side, requires some minor construction or new cab, then door issue, might not be able to find exact door. Or get small microwave, still use in uppers or lowers, some where. or, install in pantry.

haven't found an inspiration photo that I like more. I find it helpful to use inspiration photos to work off off.

i need to figure out what on line tool to use to put these scenarios into my kitchen for a visual. Anyone know? Don't have PS.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Hey Bruce, you might appreciate the fact that soap stone is impervious and no bacteria will grow on it;)

• Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

Willow, well aware merits of soapstone. When we decided to do K reno, promised my wife final choice on design elements, as she was reluctant to spend the money. I love wood floors, too. Have oak in hall. Had oak in LR & DR, but we had patchwork of different flooring in front of house. They yielded to same tile in LR, K, entry & DR last year. Also have lots of stained moulding & baseboard.

• Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

Willow, thx for compliment. Hope to have pro pics as soon as we finish few punchlist items.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I am at a stand still on my kitchen. I've been too busy to think about it. Nothing has been decided, or determined, except the fact that the counter installer is very slow in responding to bids. And told me the soapstone was very expensive beyond what I wanted to pay. He wants me to come look at a few of his suppliers that might have better prices, but he takes 2weeks to respond to an email. Ugh!! I'm still thinking of the soapstone but tinkering on the fence with a lighter granite? Can't find much I like, don't want a overly busy or solid stone. Wondering if the darker will have the best contrast with my floors. Want the most classic choice that won't look dated as fast.

• Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

Willow, I don't know where you live so I don't know if you're near an Arizona Tile store, but they carry soapstone, and they're not coy w/ their pricing. Even if you're not near one, you could call one and they'll readily tell you pricing on it.

• Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

I just chk'd their website. Houston & Dallas, but not Austin area. But you can still get price for comparison to what your contractor's sources quote. Bargaining chip.

• klcinaz
    il y a 7 ans

any update?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 7 ans

Haven't heard a thing from Willow in so long have left 2 messages for her and no reply..kinda worried:(

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 7 ans

If anyone out there has heard from Willow AKA..tothenines..let me know please!! Nothing since May 2016

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».