Houzz Logo Print
hannahptl

Which should I choose - Longer Peninsula or Bigger Refrigerator?

mathnmusic
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

I never knew I was so indecisive until this house remodel. Please help!

Here is our kitchen and house plans. We have 6 kids (boy 12 yrs old, 4 girls ages 10, 6, 4, 2, and another boy 2 months). This is our first house we've ever purchased, bought in November, it's in the throes of remodel now, gutted, trying to do it on a budget, which as you can imagine, is not easy. Would love space utilization advice from experienced folks!

Here's our kitchen today:

Our kitchen is pretty small at 11x13, and will be G shaped, with a peninsula on the left (blue "P" on the floor in photo), and along the straight left side where there's the large opening onto the sunroom/playroom, there'll go the dishwasher and sink, and at the center of the back wall there'll be the 30-inch slide-in range and vent hood above flanked by 2 windows (thanks to advice of GWers!), and uppers and lower cabinets along the right side with microwave shelf, a tall pantry, and finally ending with the refrigerator at the end (can't extend the kitchen further down to the end of the G because the contractor build the door frame and huge box of light switches to go into the kitchen).

Please give me advice with my 2 questions -

1 - Should I go for a longer peninsula (blue "P" in photo) or a bigger refrigerator (blue "R" in photo)? The photo shows how P would extend at 3x5 or at 3x6. It also shows how the R would extend at cabinet-depth (28 inches) or standard-depth (37 inches), for the 2 refrigerators I've narrowed it down to. I've read all the posts related to cabinet-depth refrigerators that I could find on GW, considered the pros and cons. Since we have an extra fridge in the garage down the hall, I'm leaning toward getting the cabinet-depth in order to get a longer peninsula for my kids to pull up for eating and chatting with me in the kitchen. Getting a cabinet-depth fridge will also give me the option of switching the placement of the tall pantry and fridge so that the tall pantry is outside the work triangle, giving me better counter workspace.

2- Is the tall pantry and refrigerator placement ok as is next to each other with the pantry more inside the kitchen and the fridge at the end, or should they be switched? The plumbing and water line's already been set up for the refrigerator to be at the end of the kitchen as shown, but that was because I was planning for a large standard-size fridge. If I get the counter-depth fridge (as I'm leaning now), I can switch it's placement with the tall pantry, but it will come at some cost (have to ask the contractor how much today), do you think it's worth it?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

Hannah

Commentaires (12)

• Nicole D
    il y a 7 ans

If you want a peninsula, refrigerator and pantry for a small space, I would go for a smaller refrigerator to add in the panty. Or not do the peninsula and do a large refrigerator and panty. At the end of the day, you can always switch out refrigerators, however the peninsula is a fixed item in your kitchen. You don't want a cramped kitchen or one where two people have to wait to pass each other.

mathnmusic a remercié Nicole D
  • Elle
    il y a 7 ans

I think you need a decent sized kitchen refrigerator for a family of 8.

mathnmusic a remercié Elle
  • acm
    il y a 7 ans

I came to say large fridge (especially with big family), but then I see that you have an extra fridge in the garage, so that takes a lot of pressure off. In general an extra foot of peninsula isn't a huge deal, but with your brood, you can probably use the space to wedge in more stools -- 6 feet makes three pretty feasible. I think that, given all that, you may be best with a counter-depth fridge and moving the pantry down. There's only the one water line for the fridge, and your walls are completely wide open, so I would expect the cost of moving it over a few studs to be nearly trivial.

mathnmusic a remercié acm
  • PRO
    Point Design LLC
    il y a 7 ans

While as a kitchen designer, I love counter depth refrigerators in a design, I am also very practical. You need a larger R.F.!

Good Luck!

mathnmusic a remercié Point Design LLC
  • thinkdesignlive
    il y a 7 ans

Are your cabinets on order already? I would rethink the peninsula with the fridge where it's located - thats a bottleneck that will be always hung up when the fridge door is open. If you post the floor plan we can give you recommendations. Based on the size of your family that room will see a lot of action and now is the time to get it right.

mathnmusic a remercié thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    il y a 7 ans

And I am saying this because our last house had this exact same condition and with a family of 4 that entertains a lot we saw this as a problem.

• thinkdesignlive
    il y a 7 ans

So......if you can't change anything based on where you are at in the process, I would vote for shorter peninsula AND fridge to give you as much breathing/working space as possible.

• mathnmusic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

The cabinets haven't been ordered yet, will do at end of the week. Yes, totally agree, edwards4four, this is the time to get it right! I so appreciate everybody's advice. Please keep your words of wisdom coming! Here are our house plans (will also post separately for general advice)

• PRO
    McAdams Remodeling & Design
    il y a 7 ans

I would opt for the cabinet depth refrigerator because it will make the kitchen look and feel larger. I'm mixed on the peninsula for several reasons. The pros are for countertop sitting with kids it would be great. The cons are that 42" is optimal for a walkway which will affect the length of the peninsula and the peninsula would also create the need for a lazy Susan or blind cupboard in the corner which is harder to access and will store less than a traditional cupboard.

mathnmusic a remercié McAdams Remodeling & Design
  • thinkdesignlive
    il y a 7 ans
    Thank you for the overall floor plan. I think the peninsula made more sense when you had the fridge away from it as your house plan shows. It makes less sense when the fridge placement causes a bottleneck. I still vote for counter depth fridge and very minimal peninsula if you have to have it.
  • mathnmusic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Thank you for all your advice...they were helpful in weighing the pros and cons. I made the decision to...do both! Thanks to mama goose's advice, we switched the fridge with the pantry, and recessed the fridge into the studs so now we can get the larger fridge and have a longer peninsula. Problem solved, thanks to you all!! Will close this thread and pick up on the other thread where mama goose gave me this advice. To end, here's a pic of the 10-inch deep recess where my big honkin' fridge will go!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».