Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Your thoughts on the encaustic cement tile trend?

Emmeline Westin
il y a 7 ans

It was one of the trends [you suggested[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/poll-which-pattern-will-we-see-trending-in-2016-dsvw-vd~3501572?n=9) would go big this year, so now that we're halfway through the year, let us know how you feel about encaustic tiles. They have certainly appeared a lot on Houzz!

Wimbledon · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (30)

• Michelle S
    il y a 7 ans
    Mine have just arrived. Excited for the colour pop
  • PRO
    Coppice Guild
    il y a 7 ans

I have always loved encaustic tiles but this eclectic mix of colours and patterns is just too messy for my taste!

• User
    il y a 7 ans
    In the right quantity and place, I think they're gorgeous. A magical sprinkling of something colourful and beautiful.
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Our offices have them throughout, and they are hand painted Maltese ones, very highly sought after, but they don't fit the style of our offices. but we have placed a protective barrier and a quality wood laminate over them, to retain and protect should we ever move, it would be a good selling point for the building. We love the newer versions and the multi-coloured patterned ones are amazing and look great in any room with a flat colour palette, especially with a room decorated or furnished in shades of grey.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

I don't like the patterns mixed up, I think that's a trend.

• lunabel
    il y a 7 ans

I love yours too, gchan. Can you tell me more about the manufacturer/design and where you got them?

• tsk2
    il y a 7 ans
    We are thinking about Encaustic tiles for our relatively small kitchen (16 square meters). Any tips on what kinds of patterns/scale would look the best in a small space?
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

Dear tsk2, for smaller rooms we recommend to choose a small or light pattern with not too dark colours. With small pattern we refer to a 1 tile design instead of f ex a 4 tile design (a pattern that needs 4 tiles to be complete). Kind regards, Mosaic del Sur

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 7 ans

Hello Emmeline,

I have to say I do love them.... they are though one thing that you can either get right or very wrong.. I see a fair few I don't like, but when they're good they're gr8!

• Luciana
    il y a 7 ans
    Definitely trendy! I was in a Paris shop today and found these vinyl mats; they looked so realistic, I was quite tempted to buy few of them for our terrace here, stick them together sort of like an outdoor rug, but couldn't convince my husband... he just doesn't like them :(
  • gchan
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks kanstey! I ordered them online from a tile place based in Ireland but who ship to the UK (and probably other places too...) really sorry but I can't recall the name and can't find details anywhere. I do seem to recall they did that pattern in a blue and grey too. But it was a few years ago now.
  • angelboyman
    il y a 7 ans

I do really like them, but the fact it's a trend puts me off. Trends go out of fashion and tiled floors are hardwearing - so I'd never spend time, effort and money on a trend for such an area whereby the product and it's usage will have life far in excess of the trend it's part of. Sooner, rather than later, these floors will be dug up to be replaced by the next trend and so for that reason I keep my floors traditional, timeless and hardwearing! Shame, because generally I do like them.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 7 ans

That's an interesting point angelboyman, as I didn't think they were a trend and are in fact very old as a means of tiling floors etc, which are all over period properties especially.. I think what is more a trend is the way they are being mismatched as a new way to give them a differing aesthetic.. I quite like something unusual but perhaps more uniform.. You can then really get a sense of the design and create fabulous borders or interesting ways of laying with other materials that merge and blend to create their own pattern..

I think you're absolutely right that nobody should design their homes around a trend.. They should do what they feel is absolutely right for them regardless of what is seen as fashionable.. :))

• PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

gchan... maybe it was with us?! I would have to take a closer look but we have a very similar, if not identical design :D

• ellenantro
    il y a 7 ans
    I love them! We used them in our new bathroom a couple of months ago and they give me pleasure every morning that I see them. It looks like mine are the same as gchans. I got them from http://www.besttile.ie
  • gchan
    il y a 7 ans
    Ellenantro, that's the place we got ours too! Makes me smile when I see them too :)
  • PRO
    Burchdaume
    il y a 7 ans

Emmeline, we've been using encaustics for a while now. I would caution against calling them this years trend though, they've been in use widely since they were first pressed in either 1850 in Vivier or 1857 in Barcelona, whichever you date you prefer. They became popular because of their durability and aesthetic value. Small runs of exactly the colour and pattern you want are now possible - if you can factor in the 12 week lead time. They are very practical particularly for high traffic areas and look stunning as feature shower walls. They can be sealed with matt, satin or gloss finishes and they just get seem to get better with age. They work best in simple flat planes though, smaller facets are best in an alternative finish.

• Norren Bird
    il y a 7 ans

I love the chalky colours and texture and think 2 colour options are better for domestic use, rather than the multicoloured and multi patterned options which, while look striking, might date quickly or grate eventually in your own home. Each to their own as ever! Ps this trend emerged at tile exhibitions about 3 years ago.

• Norren Bird
    il y a 7 ans

I should also add as another PS that they are usually quite thick and heavy, so make sure your substrate and adjoining rooms can accommodate that.

• PRO
    Creative Stone & Tile
    il y a 7 ans

In small quantities and places, I think they are great e.g.
    utility room! In other areas, I do prefer a single conforming pattern rather
    than a random mix; I also love the
    more recent productions which play on texture and muted colours rather than
    vibrancy.

• tsk2
    il y a 7 ans

Does anyone in the UK have these types of floors without underfloor heating? We are still hoping to have them installed in our kitchen, but the cost of underfloor heating is frankly much more than we budgeted.

• PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

Hi tsk2, encaustic cement tiles can be installed with or without underfloor heating, this does not modify the nature of the product. Hope it helps.

• lottabornebusch
    il y a 7 ans

Am considering whether it might work to have the odd colourful encaustic tile mixed in with a majority of plain tiles for a bathroom floor. Has anyone tried this or seen any examples?

• Rach
    il y a 6 ans

loving mine,

• User
    il y a 6 ans
    Just had cement tiles put in my powder room and really regret it. They mark so easily, cannot cope with water and look tatty, only a month after installation. They're also very expensive compared to porcelain tiles :-(
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 6 ans

Hello Kathryn,

Encaustic cement tiles need to be sealed before usage. And for regular maintenance PH neutral soap should be used.

The following link has several video tutorials and explanations that may help you: http://www.cement-tiles.com/cement-tiles-installation-maintenance/index.php

Kind regards,

Mosaic del Sur

• andrewbooton
    il y a 6 ans
    Like those patchwork sofas and chairs from a couple of years ago, I fear they'll date quickly and catastrophically.
  • mullersthejap
    il y a 6 ans
    Still really like them, timeless depending on the pattern but the patchwork design already feels overdone and outdated.
  • Allison Oz
    il y a 5 ans

My whole house has them in every room, original from 1905 in France. I love them!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».