Houzz Logo Print
sally_harrison68

Kitchen style to suit young kids.

LTS
il y a 7 ans
Hi. I'm struggling to decide what style of kitchen to go for & am torn between wood shaker or matt flat doors. I've ruled out gloss as believe they show every fingerprint?

I have 3 young children (aged 6 to 9) - which style would you recommend to be the most hardwearing & easiest to clean/maintain? Both styles would fit in my house.

Many thanks!

Commentaires (11)

• PRO
    The ALNO Store Bristol
    il y a 7 ans

Anything with profiles or ledges will catch dust & grease etc and will be harder to clean, especially in the corners and joints. A flat door does not have this issue and ALNO kitchens offer numerous flat door styles which are really robust as the edges are laser bonded. The surface of the doors is also hard wearing and easier to clean. I am in Bristol, but you can find your nearest ALNO kitchen showroom to see the quality for yourself and be inspired at http://alnokitchens.co.uk/showrooms

• Daisy England
    il y a 7 ans
    Handleless Matt finish is very popular.
  • PRO
    Smart Showers Ltd
    il y a 7 ans

Agree with the above!

Also, if you're looking at kitchen taps, taps with a hose are a great shout for family kitchen - makes everything much easier to swill before popping in the dishwasher.

This is thePura Professional tap, which has an optional hose, plus a handle specifically for filtered ready-to-drink water as can be seen in top right image.

Let me know if you'd like more info!

Thanks,

Maxine

• PRO
    Vooff Furniture Art Studio
    il y a 7 ans

We would suggest shaker style with spray finish. As it is very easy to maintain - just wipe and surface clean again. For more durable surface would recommend Formica. Regarding colours - silver grey or Scree from Little Greene Colours (as in the picture).

Shaker Style Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Vooff Furniture Art Studio
    il y a 7 ans

This is an example of Formica and birch-ply edge kitchen we are working on at the moment. I would suggest this style for few reasons:

first of all the Formica is very durable and at the same time easy to keep clean material;

the fridge, oven, hob and extractor are integrated;

the finger pull opening system is not so easy to reach for children.

• LTS
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I really like both styles hence why I am struggling! Have heard positives & negatives about both in that with wood shaker you can sand down & repaint any chips, etc & can change the colour in years to come...& flat Matt doors any greasy marks may not be as easy to remove. Ugh!
  • PRO
    Phipps Building Ltd
    il y a 7 ans

Handle less is great but grubby hands on doors will always leave marks so back to handles is easier for cleaning !

Anything paintable is good for when the mood changes and you want a new look kitchen for little cost bar Paint colour change then change the utensils kettle, toaster ,towels art work etc .

• tamp75
    il y a 7 ans
    Sounds silly but have you tried to get your fingerprints on a gloss door in a kitchen showroom? When we were looking for our kitchen I tried and it was surprising how hard it was to mark them! Also much easier to wipe away with a microfibre cloth than on Matt. However, we ended up going with shaker style Matt as I wanted a more classic, timeless style. Children's fingerprints aren't really a problem - good old microfibre cloths work wonders.
  • PRO
    Dub M
    il y a 7 ans
    I've two little people and am v excited to have my new shaker oak kitchen fitted next week. I love the feel of wood compared to synthetic materials and the handless kitchens for me are too neutral and bland. I may end up cursing the grooves on shaker doors but little kids leave
    mess top to bottom in a house for a short time so forget about cleaning it and imagine which one would give you the wow factor when you walk in he door from work
  • LTS
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    My MIL has a white gloss kitchen & it does show every mark but I suspect she doesn't wipe it down so often whilst we are staying as it make sense with my 3 kids! We currently have an (inherited) wrap around shaker door with vertical grooves which has been easy to maintain but is peeling away at the edges now. I think a good plan would be to take my 3 to a kitchen chain & monitor fingerprint making as they open/close doors! Thanks everyone again....I will have to make a decision at some point....
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».