Houzz Logo Print
sfball06

Backsplash hell.

sfball06
il y a 7 ans

my husband and I have compromised on our open concept home. It was a complete gut. He likes more rustic and wants to do the backsplash in the kitchen like the pallet wall in the dining room (picture was before it was completed) to tie it together. I'm really hesitant bc I went more modern in the kitchen. What backsplash would you all recommend to blend the two or not make the kitchen look hideous!!!??? Thank you in advance so much for your help!!!

Commentaires (26)

• auntthelma
    il y a 7 ans

Great kitchen!

We painted the backsplash wall - no tile, no beadboard. You can maybe take a color from the rustic wall and paint.

OR - take a color from the rustic wall and find a pretty tile of that color and go monochromatic.

sfball06 a remercié auntthelma
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

I'm in agreement with you -a pallet backsplash is not a good idea. It will not only look bad (too much pattern for such a small space) but it won't be functional either. A backsplash is to protect the wall from splashes and be easily wipeable --rough wood would not enable you to do that.

Have you considered matching the backsplash to emulate the pattern of the pallet wall but with a different material? Something similar to this:

Sleek Kitchen · Plus d'infos

sfball06 a remercié User
  • sfball06
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

yes!! That's more of what I was thinking. What color pallet though? he really wants to pull in the pallet colors. Too many browns next to the black counter I feel

• PRO
    Historic Flooring LLC
    il y a 7 ans

How about a barnwood subway tile? We can do as little or as much embedded white/light as you like :)

NEW! Barnwood Subway Tile · Plus d'infos

sfball06 a remercié Historic Flooring LLC
  • sfball06
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

oh wow I've never seen that before!! Are there more white/grey tones available in that?

• PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

I would pull the color from the cream and grey pallets. Maybe one of these (or something similar cause I can't find the exact color combo I'm thinking of on Houzz):

Country Cottage Light Taupe Random Strip Glass Mosaic Tile, Sample · Plus d'infos

Feel Series Avario Textured Strip Mosaic Tile, Sample · Plus d'infos

(less green tint and more grey)

Bliss Iceland Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · Plus d'infos

12"x12" Stone and Co Mosaic Glass and Stone Blend Random Strip Mosaic Tile · Plus d'infos
    (Make sure there's not too much contrast between the white and grey tile. The dark grey tile should be a lighter grey tone for subtlety, unlike the last option I posted.)

sfball06 a remercié User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 7 ans

Why not do the wood look porcelain tile for a backsplash it gives the illusion of wood but cleans easily you really need very little backsplash

sfball06 a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Historic Flooring LLC
    il y a 7 ans

@sfball06, we can do any tones/colors you like. Getting ready to ship this out to a client

• sfball06
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I will definitley show my husband tonight! How much are they?

• PRO
    Historic Flooring LLC
    il y a 7 ans
  • janecalle
    il y a 7 ans

There's always a stacked stone approach which may compliment the wood without adding yet another wood look-alike.

sfball06 a remercié janecalle
  • sfball06
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hahahah i agree with that idea

• Kim C
    il y a 7 ans
    We are in the midst of kitchen Reno hell ourselves, and while I know marble isn't particularly rustic or modern, it is classic and timeless.

Our kitchen cabinet colors are nearly identical so I'm attaching a photo of our materials (it's in progress, as you can see).

If anything, this may just give you a better feeling about what you can give a definitive "no" to and feel confident about what you do opt for!

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Historic Flooring LLC
    il y a 7 ans

Our barnwood subway tile is hand finished with 2 coats of Vermont PolyWhey, a milk based Poly sealant. Almost no odor and water resistant. This is the same finish we use on most of our floors, which certainly are exposed to water and much more.

Each tile is also milled with shiplap joinery, further protecting the wall behind it from water exposure :)

I would be happy to send you some samples so you can see how it might look. Just email me with an address where you would like them shipped. Steve@historicflooring.com or Stacey@historicflooring.com

-Stacey

• Jennifer Havin
    il y a 7 ans

there is glazed brick that might coordinate well with your pallet wall

http://www.mutualmaterials.com/products/glazed-slimbrick/

sfball06 a remercié Jennifer Havin
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    il y a 7 ans

I would do a marble subway, they have some marbles that have more variation and I think that would be stunning!

sfball06 a remercié Astonia Stone Artisans
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 7 ans

NEVER do stacked stone for a backsplash it is impossible to clean if you get spaghetti sauce on it and no wood either think about cleaning whenever you are choosing materials for kitchen and for sure for backsplash

sfball06 a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

I have to disagree with most of the suggestions. I think the backsplash should be suited to elements in the kitchen rather than elements in a nearby room. I like the marble suggestion or glass or subway, but nothing rustic. To me the style of the cabinets and the type of lighting are traditional or even glam, nothing at all like barnboard.

• chiflipper
    il y a 7 ans

Greater love hath no woman...than one who agrees to a barnboard wall.

• PRO
  • Judy Mishkin
    il y a 7 ans

mmm how about you make the kitchen 'extra normal'.

• Renee Kapa
    il y a 7 ans
    what did you decide on?? what about white shiplap
    sfball06 a remercié Renee Kapa
  • sfball06
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

we went with a subway tile from Lowe's! It was so cost effective and has some texture look! I love it!

• PRO
    Historic Flooring LLC
    il y a 7 ans

Good Job! It looks great :)

-Stacey

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    il y a 7 ans

Looks great!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».