Houzz Logo Print
hellokaley

Incorporating Transitional Design into a Black/Brown Kitchen

Kaley C
il y a 7 ans

Hi all! First time homebuyer and first time Houzz user! The house we are buying has a lovely and newly redone kitchen, but I prefer a more transitional style. Since the kitchen is already nice and it's just a matter of preference, my fiancé is not going to make major renovations and painting the cabinets isn't and option. Looking for any ideas for paint colors and design recommendations that could brighten up the space with a transitional style, while still maintaining the black granite and dark cabinets. Thoughts?

Commentaires (11)

• Kathy Yata
    il y a 7 ans

It is a nice kitchen! I'd be shopping for new light fixtures and figure out another way to dress the window then decide on new paint. New cabinet hardware is another great way to change the look of a kitchen.

• Carol Singletary
    il y a 7 ans
    I'm with Kathy. Nice kitchen that really just needs new lights and window treatment. I would wait to paint until you pick those out and live with the space for awhile. You may find that this is the perfect color.
  • Kaley C
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll look into window dressings, but we are definitely painting before we get into the house. The entire house is yellow. :) Figured it would be easiest to paint before we move in all of our stuff and replace carpet in the bedrooms.

I'll look into window treatments for sure, but would still love to hear any suggestions on a color that could brighten the space, but that would go well with the black/brown. I'm always drawn to grays and neutrals that tend to go well with white, but as you can see, we have none of that here!
  • PRO
    Palace Painting & Decorating
    il y a 7 ans

Agree with Kathy. Do some dressings first then work with a new paint colour is you are still looking for some change. It is hard to tell the true colour of the kitchen, the panels on the island, the colours that are in the counter tops, and tile. Colours could be picked up from these if you are looking still to change.

• Carol Singletary
    il y a 7 ans
    I hear you! From this picture I thought only one wall was yellow (hard to tell on my iPad).

There are many color gurus on this site who will most likely chime in, but you might look at Edgecomb Grey as it seems to be a popular choice.
  • jdgail
    il y a 7 ans

Luck you! Looks like you have a great space to work with. A transitional blue grey would look beautiful with the cabinets. Depends on your furniture colors since it appears the kitchen is open to the family room and would have to compliment that room as well. Regardless of your color choices, you can easily change out the pendant lighting (and dining light) to something larger with drum shades/transitional. Looks as if you could easily switch out the island to something a bit bigger, different color, shelves with unusual counter top etc. Adding a back splash and switch out any cabinets with handles to a more contemporary design. Good luck!

• PRO
    KOL KITCHEN & BATH
    il y a 7 ans

Beautiful kitchen! You have a great opportunity to incorporate a backsplash that can tie in the brown and gray tones. A mosaic tile similar to the photo below will compliment your countertops and cabinets.

Sewell Transitional Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• Kaley C
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Oh yea! Yellow paint must have been on sale because the whole house is yellow. :) The kitchen looks out to an open living room, so we'll have to find complementing colors for the main living area and the kitchen (if not the same color?). Obviously, I'm new at this!
  • Nick Lukomskiy
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

A light grey color, window treatments, under-cabinet lighting, maybe some LED recess lighting around the cabinet area, and maybe backsplash? Just a few ideas.

• emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

SW Accessible Beige everywhere. Different pendants and different chandelier. Don't add a backsplash unless you remove the small granite backsplash. Having both is a dated look.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».