Houzz Logo Print
emma_garwood64

My bedroom lacks personality and style

Emma Garwood
il y a 7 ans
Hi there! Let me get straight to it - I hate my bedroom. The rest of my house has bags of personality with a kind of eclectic style - think bold print cushion covers and screen prints - but my bedroom is bare, and doesn't have an overall style.
Half my problem, I think, is that I'm a sucker for bed linen and will often pick up a cheap, bright new set from IKEA or something just because I love the strong design. The trouble is that they're all different, so I have no colour scheme or style to the rest of the room.
Aside from a good bedding set, I have some lovely grey ticking stripe curtains (except they don't go with anything) and a very bog standard set of IKEA bedroom furniture. I have a wooden bed or a white / cream iron bedstead that I could swap in.
I like to think I've got a strong eye for design, as I do some freelance graphic design, but I can't seem to translate it to my bedroom! When my son was born, I got so much joy out of designing his nursery (mood board attached), and because all the pieces were new, there were no old items that compromised the look just to fit in.
So, for my bedroom, do I ditch the duvet covers and try and establish one colour palette or style, or is there a way of marrying any duvet cover that I may whimsically purchase by doing something else to the room?
Can you establish a proper style with mixed textiles?

Commentaires (7)

• PRO
    Elena Romanova Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Emma love your style and the nursery board looks very cool! I know what you mean about brightly coloured and patterned duvet sets... there are so many out there and they look so good.. but then they do dominate the room and its hard to mix them with anything else. . and what happens if your change the set? this is exactly the reason why I resist the temptation of making the duvet set the starting point for my bedroom design...

generally for any room , the advice I give is - find smth you absolutely love (wall art, rug, piece of fabric) and go from there..

also remember (and I'm sure you know that well) - if you stick to a restricted colour palette you can mix and match your patterns comfortably to create interest...

maybe send some pictures for us to have a look at?

• A B
    il y a 7 ans

I think most of us have one room we can never quite get right! Have you got a mood board for your room? In my opinion, if you are going for eclectic, you need a few stand alone pieces of furniture. Not just bog standard ikea bed and chest of drawers. I would try the iron bedstead and it does sound like replacing your curtains would help. I think in an eclectic space you can regularly update your bed linen, but I wouldn't make it the focus of the room.

Alternatively if you like ikea prints you could go for a scandi style bedroom, and they would fit in very well!

• Emma Garwood
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Love the blue and mustard bedroom, Jenny. That middle blue and white cushion (kind of sayagata) is right up my street - I'm really drawn to patterns like that. Thanks for the offer - I feel determined to crack this one myself, but I may cave if I continue to get it hideously wrong.
    Ok, so I've got plenty of artwork still to be hung - I might make one of those my starting point.
    Shame about the curtains, but you're right - unless I'm going down the country traditional route, they won't go with everything else!
  • Leanne Richards
    il y a 7 ans

Hey Emma,

I agree with Jenny (fab style btw Jenny!) start with the walls first. Paint or wallpaper is something you must stick with for a while and it can really set the mood you're after.

I prefer dark walls and eclectic furniture, because you can really explore with matching and contrasting textures and colours.

I also agree with an iron bed frame, buy a standard white bed frame, you can spray paint it to whatever colour you prefer... I have dark grey walls, neon red cord lamps and a bright yellow iron bed, it took me a week to spray the thing, but I love it!

Best of luck.

• PRO
    Niels Larsen Rugs
    il y a 7 ans

As Elena Romanova said above I would suggest you have one major accent in the room - a piece of wall art or a rug - and spend some money on good lighting. Keep the walls and bed linen colours plain and use your favourite restful colour. My wife likes grey, I like soft green but do not use a really bright 'happy' colour. I really like the American way of using rugs across the bed like this first image. It makes for a very clean look and you always step out of bed onto the rug. If you see something you like on our website please contact me stating which platform you are from and I will sort you out with a unique discount code to help you along! ( PS not ALL our projects are this grand - they are just the ones we photograph. )

• PRO
    Wallsauce
    il y a 7 ans

Ditch the bedding! :)

Go on... treat yourself, go all out! We love your style and have a few wall murals in mind that could be a good starting point for you and create a completely fresh look.

Presuming you're looking for something less romantic and wanting something a bit bold, here are our suggestions...

Leafy prints are in right now! You could team something like this with bold, block colour bedding >> More leaf murals

This print by Henri Rousseau is quite fun and playful and you can pick all sorts of colours out from it for your accessories - your stripy curtains may even go with this one! >> More Henri prints

Old Style World Map Wallpaper Mural · Plus d'infos

Map murals are a customer favourite just to inspire you!

Feel free to browse our website at your leisure. We look forward to seeing your finished room, we're sure it's going to fab :)

Nicole @ Wallsauce.com

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».