Houzz Logo Print
hey_bogart

Advice on kitchen cabinets: Keep, refinish, paint or reface?

Andrew H
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

I bought a house intending to keep the kitchen cabinets while replacing the floor, counters and backsplash (and painting). The cabinets are physically in good condition and the layout works, but I don't love the color which seems a bit redder than pure honey oak. I'd appreciate any advice from you tasteful people.

Commentaires (72)

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

I was using "honey oak" to refer to the color, though I did assume the cabinets were also oak wood. I think tatts is probably right that they are maple with a cherry stain, though it's possibly cherry wood. As people have pointed out, the walls may exaggerate the yellow/orange in the wood, but it is there. More than shows in my photos, less than in the realtor's photos. I agree it would be a shame to paint over the wood.

• CLC
    il y a 7 ans

I was going to suggest a cream or off white countertop with whites and greys in it, but I really like those inspiration photos! I would have never thought to do dark blue walls with the darker gray soapstone, but I think it looks great.

You certainly have a lot of options, being that you can choose flooring, countertops, wall color and backsplash. I think the cabs look great with very light countertops, too (Beth posted a few inspiration photos). So I guess I would try to decide what overall look you are going for, and take it from there. Once you make a few big decisions, the other pieces should more easily fall into place.

Andrew H a remercié CLC
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

this is natural cherry.

I redid a desk top w/these boards. you don't have a cherry stain because that would make it much redder and deeper. They have warm cherry, or black cherry stain, but its a very reddish hue. if you put that on maple it would look weird.

if you look at the trim pieces around your doors, you can see the natural pink hue that is normal w/cherry. maple has more of a white tone to it. plus, I can tell by the wood grain. and that one knot that is visible on the panel next to your window.

your cabinets are worth more than maple. trust me. they're cherry.

Andrew H a remercié Beth H. :
  • jhmarie
    il y a 7 ans

In general cool grays and warm wood tones don't bring out the best in each other. However, small doses of gray, warmed up by being combined with creams and perhaps a bit of beige can work well for countertops. There are many out there. Some of the marble look ones that read warm may have that combo. Back in the day, marble was used to top wood washstands and it worked, but I don't recommend real marble for a hard working kitchen as it requires more care then granite or quartz or soapstone. The dark counters do look good in beth's pics. I have a quartz similar to what I described above with a simple cream backsplash:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~57088087

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~54988831

Computer monitors do not show true colors, but something like my countertop may work with your floor. Note my cabinets are oak - you can tell by the amount of grain:) I did find that changing to a cooler LED helped brown up the cabinets. I think they throw out some bluer light tones which neutralize some of the red tones in the wood. The LEDs seemed too bright at first and I was going to change them out for warmer, but I got used to the change and now like the light the way it is.

Andrew H a remercié jhmarie
  • K
    il y a 7 ans
    Love black countertops with this style & wood color cabinets! It would allow you a really versatile kitchen to put any "style" in.
    Andrew H a remercié K
  • Sammy
    il y a 7 ans

I didn't even see that you also suggested soapstone, Beth, until just now. Great minds, I guess. And I was also looking for images with slate floors, which I love almost as much as I love soapstone. ;)

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks, Beth.

• katinparadise
    il y a 7 ans

Andrew, what is the flooring in the adjacent rooms?

Andrew H a remercié katinparadise
  • dommydom
    il y a 7 ans

I think the paint color is making the whole room look dated. If you painted a lighter brighter neutral color and a pretty backsplash I think it would look like a brand new room.

Andrew H a remercié dommydom
  • Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Old oak floors. Don't like the nails, but they are the original floors and I'm inclined to leave them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

Sammy, right? that first photo you posted, I almost posted too, but it had the white cabinets. lol

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I like that stone, jhmarie.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

wow Andrew, cool place you have. how old is the house? any other original items?? those floors are really nice. (I can see how you'd want to replace that tile though!)

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I'm told 1925. There are original wood trims and doors, but painted over. I saw photos of a nearby listing that looks like the same builder with unpainted wood, but I think it makes the house seem dark and the wood is quite grainy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

it can. but all that vintage woodwork can be beautiful if you have a enough light. it can be a bit 'heavy' at times.

is Your floor laid on the diagonal like this one as well? I like how they edged it w/the darker stain.

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Yes, also diagonal. Stripping all the trims and doors would be a huge undertaking.

• PRO
    Bill Johnson Painting
    il y a 7 ans
    They would look great painted white.
    Bill Johnson Painting
  • houssaon
    il y a 7 ans

I prefer something softer than tiles on the foot for kitchen floors where you stand a lot. You might have original oak under those tiles, unless it was removed when the tiles were installed. I would do red oak to match the rest of the house or Linoleum, which is period correct and a natural material. (Not vinyl.)

Fairfax Station Kitchen - Fridge · Plus d'infos

Revamped Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

yes, it would. personally i like white crown and baseboard molding.

so it's a craftsman? hows the exterior?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

Bill, no offense, but no. I see you're a painter. he has custom cherry cabinets. they're in beautiful condition. now why would you advocate painting those? if anything, sell them as is, (to someone who actually appreciates fine wood) and bring in some poplar or birch cabs. Then go to town w/your painting. I'm sure there are tons of 80's oak cabinets with your name all over them.

(besides, these are solid wood panels. we all know paint doesn't really care for solid wood panels)

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Unfortunately at some point someone put aluminum on the exterior. It doesn't look terrible, but I'd prefer wood.

• Kicksychick
    il y a 7 ans

NE PDX Kitchen Remodel · Plus d'infos

Andrew H a remercié Kicksychick
  • tatts
    il y a 7 ans

Beth H. Yup--to a man with a hammer, everything is a nail.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

Andrew, not bad,,it's cute. a few tweaks here and there. congrats on the new place. i'm sure it will look great when you're finished.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

tatts, hah! spit out my coffee on that one.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

I'd strip that woodwork in a heartbeat. Can't believe someone ruined it with paint.

Andrew H a remercié User
  • katinparadise
    il y a 7 ans

Were I you, I would consider continuing the floors into the kitchen. I think they would be beautiful. As someone else suggested, maybe they're hiding under the tile! If not, I think a slate tile with soapstone counter tops would be beautiful.

• Sammy
    il y a 7 ans

Your house is what I like to call a Craftsman Colonial Revival--VERY common in the northeast, especially in New Jersey. :)

Edit: I looked at your profile after I wrote that to see if your location is listed, and you DO live in NJ!!

Andrew H a remercié Sammy
  • Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I was wondering what to call it. Craftsman-influenced, but not really craftsman.

• emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

Since you are doing a new floor I suggest removing the awkward little cabinet with it's little counter top. I'd rather just see the wall. I did some wall and counter top colors just for fun

and a Blue one for Beth

Andrew H a remercié emmarene9
  • Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks emmarene. Interesting idea. I think the space to the right of those cabinets is for the garbage can so it's out of the way. I'd hate to lose counter space, but after I unpack I'll have a better idea if I need it.

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I'm not sure if anyone is still following, but I got some information about the cabinets. They are not fully custom. They are Kraft-Maid installed 15 years ago. The wood is birch. The stain is called honey spice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

so what did you decide to do? I can guarantee that those cabs will look 100X better with new flooring, wall color and countertop. If you still don't like it, you can always paint them later. start w/the easier things to change. (and really, that flooring isn't doing anyone any justice. even if you left it and painted the cabinets, it would still look icky).

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I'm going to leave the cabinets alone. I'm thinking maple flooring and soapstone counters. Mid-tone grayish blue paint. Not really sure about the backsplash. One on the photos showed a grey subway tile that worked well. Meeting a designer tomorrow.

• katinparadise
    il y a 7 ans

Sounds like a plan and very exciting! Wait until your paint and counter tops are finished before deciding on a backsplash. It's the one thing you can live without and your counters always look different in full pieces on the plane than they do on the vertical.

• Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Designer suggested one change: Match floor wood/color to old oak floor in adjoining rooms. Something like this.

• katinparadise
    il y a 7 ans

Good idea. You probably won't be able to match floor boards that are that old but you could probably come close.

• acm
    il y a 7 ans

Glad you decided to keep the old floor -- those inlays are something you can't reproduce anymore and give the place a lot of character. Hope you get it into ship shape soon!

Andrew H a remercié acm
  • Greenthumz
    il y a 6 ans
    I couldn't go through all the comments but:
    Love, love, love the cherry cabinets.
    Cherry is known to darken over time, but it only makes the cherry richer (and to me more beautiful).
    I hope you just change the hardware.
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE CABINETS (and I paint everything)
  • thinkdesignlive
    il y a 6 ans
    Posting this image to say a couple of things....your instinct to do wood floors in the kitchen that match the adjacent room is fine ONLY if they harmonize with the cabinets. A charcoal toned limestone or porcelain tile may be the right blend especially if you like soapstone counters which I just adore....
    L-Shaped Island With Seating Area - CairnsCraft Design & Remodel · Plus d'infos
  • cineus
    il y a 6 ans
    I agree with others. Don't change cabinets. They are beautiful. The wall color does not go with them. Change wall color. It will make a big difference.
  • Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Some pics of the final result. Granite instead of soapstone. Thanks for your advice.

• dommydom
    il y a 6 ans

Good for you! Looks like a new beautiful kitchen.

Andrew H a remercié dommydom
  • katinparadise
    il y a 6 ans

Looks great Andrew! Congratulations on the finished project!

• denlyn
    il y a 6 ans
    really nice makeover. . . .glad you did not paint the cabinets!!!!!
    Andrew H a remercié denlyn
  • hummingalong2
    il y a 6 ans

Very nice! Under cabinet lighting would be a great addition too.

Andrew H a remercié hummingalong2
  • Andrew H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

There is under cabinet lighting. I never think to turn it on.

• hummingalong2
    il y a 6 ans

Ok, all set then!

• PRO
    Shelley Sass Designs
    il y a 6 ans

I may be too late in this discussion but here's my advise anyway......I love the cabinet color and would not touch it. I would definitely change the orange paint to something light and neutral. Changing the drawer handles too would make a big difference. And finally, if anything, I would change the flooring to wood or luxury vinyl planks, that would make the biggest difference of all and look totally awesome!

• Cheryl Schwarz
    il y a 6 ans
    Wow you did an awesome job Andrew it looks great !
    Andrew H a remercié Cheryl Schwarz
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».