Houzz Logo Print
icklehc

Electric heaters decision

icklehc
il y a 7 ans

My partner and I just bought our first place, a top floor two bed flat and currently there is no central heating just some very unsightly electric heaters (as pictured)

We are looking to stay here for about 2 years before buying a house so want to add value to the flat but also want it to look nice as we are redecorating the whole flat. Is there a way to cover or enhance the look of these dreadful things or should we just look into installing central heating?

We don't want to spend everything we have saved on this one aspect so want to make the right decision! Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Commentaires (10)

• PRO
    SelSol Architectural
    il y a 7 ans

OK, before anything - what type of electric meter do you have? That's paramount in your decision.

• Victoria
    il y a 7 ans
    Also, do you have gas?
  • A Babbsy
    il y a 7 ans
    Be careful when replacing electric heaters as they will have a big effect on the energy efficiency rating of your flat.

I'm assuming you are in the U.K.? If so new regs coming in next year mean you can't let a property that scores below an e rating & that could have a big effect on the resale value of your flat
  • PRO
    Electric Radiators UK
    il y a 7 ans

Have a look at our website for some ideas:

www.electric-radiators.uk

Or give our expert team a call on 01274 567789. You definitely don't have to settle for anything ugly (we do cast iron, steel column, designer and feature electric radiators), and we now offer smart controls offering maximum efficiency.

• apismalifica
    il y a 7 ans

I would normally expect central heating when buying a flat, and would probably go down that route.

• Joanna Biddolph
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely instal central heating. The cost might be a lot lower than you expect - if the flat is small - and it's worth every penny. When buying the flat, did you think, "What a shame there isn't central heating"? That's what most buyers think ... read their minds and instal it now.

• Rayna Tullett
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Electric heaters tend to be expensive to run. So change to proper central heating if you can.

If you can't afford to upgrade to central heating, or there is some other issue preventing you doing so - just hide them behind radiator covers. You can knock one up easily over a weekend - even if you have to work out how to provide access for the control switches on the heaters behind.

(PS, I HATE electric heaters, but that is because I ran sheltered retirement housing and the residents had to spend far too much of their pensions on the damned electric heating instead of food or enjoying life!)

• Steve A.
    il y a 7 ans

If all of your radiator sites are on an outside wall, you could also consider room sealed gas heaters. They are easy to install, neat, and very effective with the flexibilty to turn them off in individual rooms if required.

• PRO
    Bio Fires
    il y a 7 ans

If you want to make the flat feel more homely, for yourself and future potential buyers. You can add a freestanding bio ethanol fireplace. They provide heat, with no hassle or mess. You can just place them by the wall, with no installation.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».