Houzz Logo Print
sydlouise

Single skin garage- waterproofing options

Louise
il y a 7 ans

I have just bought a home that has a single skin brick garage.

It's a brick veneer two storey home but the garage sits at ground level with walls exposed (eg no dirt against it and not underground). There is an eave on the second storey overhanging the wall. The driveway slopes away steeply from the garage at the front, as does the earth at the side of the house. The back wall of the garage might be underground though as there are stairs up to the laundry.

My building inspector advised not to store anything on the ground or against the walls in the garage due to water coming in through the bricks and rising damp (we inspected during the rain after days of heavy rain). He mentioned that a drainage channel has been cut into the concrete though so perhaps it does get very wet.

I'm keen to store a lot of expensive sporting equipment in this garage with racking against the walls (skis, paragliders, camping equipment etc).

Any suggestions how to make it more dry and waterproof? And is this a job I can do myself or get tradies in?

I've read about adding insulation and an interior wall, or spraying the walls inside with some sort of silicon, or spraying outside with the same. As a side note, if relevant, he said the walls were most likely asbestos so should keep them well painted to prevent any fibres escaping.

Down the track I would be interested in converting it into a living area too so interested to know what the cheap and cheerful option is for now and the presumably more elaborate version for down the track.

Commentaires (6)

• Louise
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    As the garage is huge for a single but too small for a double (5.2m wide) I'm open to reducing space inside with cladding and doing it properly. Did you get any quotes when you looked into option yourself?
  • oklouise
    il y a 7 ans

the options we chose cost about $5000 for a 7 x 3 building that we only ever wanted to save for use as a workshop garden tool storeroom..i would expect an upgrade for your building will have unavoidable costs to fix weatherproofing, drainage and damp courses and suggest there's no value on skimping on these foundation protections that may have been ignored when your home was first built or have failed over time and you will now have to pay for..save up, do it properly and do it once..i'm not aware of any cheerful fixes for waterproofing

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    il y a 7 ans

A lot of garages get converted into living spaces without any significant drama's and meet all building codes and standards.

If the existing concrete slab floor is lower than the existing floor it get's raised up by either a new slab over a plastic membrane or in some cases if it set's set low enough, bearers and joists on piers with a new floor to match the existing. Must allow space for termite inspection. Walls are infilled between engaged piers with (usually) 70mm timber frames. These have sarking and insulation just like a brick veneer wall. Plasterboard over the top again like a normal brick veneer wall. Special consideration to termite control but again no issue.

There are no cheap fixes but I've read about the spray on type's of waterproof and suchlike. These are equally as expensive as anything else. Depends on your exact situation and what you're wanting to achieve.

• PRO
    OnlineWaterproofingShop
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

With single brick or block walls there is no flashing to allow the water to leave the building. If the slab is poured inside the footing which the walls are on the water can also wick up the wall from under the slab.

The best way was to coat the wall with Drizoro Maxseal White n Grey from the inside of the garage (works with bricks or block) Extra bonus was that the white ants couldn't follow the moisture through the wall so effectively white ant proofing the garage.
    The method, called internal waterproofing, and can be found here for Basement Waterproofing >>>

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    il y a 5 ans

I would not make any decsions on your garage until you have removed the asbestos walls, and discovered what is underneath. There is no point on spending money on waterproofing, relining, insulating an area enclosed with old asebstos. The frame may be rotten, there may be termite damage, and it is all hidden away behind a dangerous material. In the short term put your expensive equipment is a dry, secure self-storage facility until your garage/store is safe and dry.

Best of luck

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».