Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

Have you ever had a piece of furniture reupholstered?

Isidora Markovic
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 6 ans

Say you have an armchair, that may be loved but is looking a little worse for wear - is your instinct to try and salvage it by reupholstering it, or to throw it away and invest in a replacement, of either the same chair or a more modern incarnation? Does "refresh by recycling" or "renew by replacing" more accurately describe you? Or do you in fact strive for the shabby chic, a little run down look, not looking for refreshment through reupholstery or replacement?

Share with us which you veer towards with a vote, and if you've had a piece of furniture reupholstered, or are a regular with reupholstery, please share a photo or two with us in the comments (we'd love to see the results!)

Yes
No
No, but I'd like to
No and there's no need - I love the shabby chic look!

Commentaires (20)

• embzop
    il y a 7 ans

Once I got over the shock of how much it costs to re-cover a sofa, I was really pleased to recycle rather than dump my old sofa. It went from rabbit-nibbled red to luxurious ivory velvet.

• Rosie Last
    il y a 7 ans
    Its very easy to do simple pieces yourself and well worth the effort!
  • bagpuss2
    il y a 7 ans
    The two armchairs belonged to my late mum. They were reupholstered by The Old Schoolhouse Latheron, and the tweed for the mid century chair came from Kingcraig Fabrics in Brora.
  • ehowick
    il y a 7 ans

I bought the armchair and footstool separately, both from charity shops and had them recovered. Its my spot to put my feet up and read.

• Susan W
    il y a 7 ans

This chair belonged to my husband's grandmother. We've had it for years. It's very comfortable and the right size for the room so we had it
    recovered (along with the Ottoman behind it) when we decorated. Not a cheap option, but we are pleased with the results.

• Norren Bird
    il y a 7 ans

Love these! Was planning to have two leather tub chairs recovered, once my beloved cat passed away (most expensive scratch posts EVER) but now have adopted 2 rescues so may need to wait to see if they use their ACTUAL scratch post :-)

• PRO
    Morvenna
    il y a 7 ans

I have just reupholstered a large stool that was in need of some TLC - easy to do and what a difference it makes matching my new sofa. I used tacks to tidy up underneath with the leftover fabric which kept everything nice and neat.

• Sonia
    il y a 7 ans

I think if you can do it yourself then fine, but we had two sofas re-upholstered and it cost as much as buying new. Sometimes it's nice to have a change.

• PRO
    barrettupholstery
    il y a 7 ans
    If it's a piece you like and is comfortable
    it is always better to re-cover than buy new.
  • PRO
    Fusion interior design
    il y a 7 ans

We've had one of our sofas re-upholstered it was too comfortable to change!! We've also managed to collect 10 of these G plan E Gomme butterfly back chairs (1950's) and restored them and we were lucky to find this footstool down the tip one day :)

• Isidora Markovic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Loving the photos everyone, amazing work - keep them coming!!

• Stephen Edwards
    il y a 7 ans

It's a good way of getting what you want which wouldn't otherwise exist, especially if you are buying new, the mainstream stuff has such a limited "play it safe" choice.

I do small stuff myself with a staplegun and a bit of hand-stitching

I had the frame powder coated and covers made for the cushions on this over twenty years ago, (Corbusier would probably not have approved) lets just say my taste has changed a bit since then.

• PRO
    Michael Nicholas Design
    il y a 7 ans

For clients we often purchase antique and mid-century furniture and as part of the renovation; reupholster it to work with the scheme. An example shown in attached image.

• Sue Pritchard
    il y a 7 ans

Having learnt how to felt I am now looking at upholstering various pieces of furniture. These are 2 pieces that have been given the treatment!

• PRO
    Kirsty Lockwood Furnishings
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

It's not cheap to get a piece upholstered properly but if the chair fits the space, has sentimental meaning and is structurally comfortable (the stuffing can always be fixed but the proportion of the frame is another matter) then it is worth giving it many more years life.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

I spent long hours at traditional upholstery classes to recover my prie dieu chair. Never thought I would end up washing, declumping & drying horse hair!

• bagpuss2
    il y a 7 ans
    A real 1920s sofa with a tweed and Art Deco twist
  • Jacky Potts
    il y a 7 ans
    Had these two chairs reupholstered. Chuffed with the results and, amazingly, good value.
  • PRO
    Lush Home Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

Old rocking chair rescued from charity shop and revamped into little beauty that my girls love!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».