I'm in the process of picking new flooring for my kitchen/great room
area. My dilemma is what color tone, Light or Dark. Currently we have a
very light tile in the kitchen and eating area. Then carpet starts and
continues into the great room. Because we have an open floor plan I
wanted to have one continuous flooring to keep the rooms from being
choppy looking. The carpet needs to be replaced and I thought I would
just redo all the floors at the same time. I have 6 children and want
something durable so I was looking into the new vinyl plank floors that
mimic hardwood. The kitchen cabinets are where the problem starts.
They are a very light maple with a white glaze on them. My husband is
unwilling to paint them so that option is out. I have a very light
granite with blue and gray flecks in it. The walls in the kitchen are a
bluish gray, its hard to tell in the pictures.

I like the contrast that dark floors would give the kitchen but have
heard horror stories of trying to keep dark floors clean. I'm afraid to pick a light color because it might clash or look like too much of the same wood. So my
question is really two fold. First if you have dark flooring do you
regret or love them? And second, does anyone have any recommendations
on a flooring color to go with the cabinets?

Thanks in advance for you help. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Commentaires (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

I would do a darker vinyl plank and believe me they are no harder to look after than light floors you jst see the dust more so make a Swiffer your best friend, IMO the darker floor would look awesome

katmomof5 a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ilesliemy
    il y a 7 ans
    I think dark would look really nice. I have dark floors though and I admit they show every speck of dust, every thread etc.
    katmomof5 a remercié ilesliemy
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    il y a 7 ans

I love my floors.

katmomof5 a remercié Elaine Gauthier Art
  • acm
    il y a 7 ans
    I'd look into a grayish tone, which is justified by your counters. would give plenty of contrast while keeping things light.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 7 ans

I'd talk to DH about the long term $$$ VALUE in updating the upper doors, ditching the arch, and painting the cabinetry, and saving for either a white cabinet depth fridge or better yet a stainless.. With that result in place,...... stand back and decide your flooring. You very obviously want a cooler palette in conflict with the cabs.. If you sold the house/put it on the market tomorrow, an honest realtor would tell you that the gorgeous granite counters are being upstaged by the dated cabinets, and negating your dollar effort on those. There, I said it. Apologies upfront, and I shall stand BACK to be whipped with the noodle. : ) But you can risk showing this to hubby....ask him to look at the photo you posted, and ask him what jumps FIRST from the photo........

Ps..... a serious bit of doo dad/collectible removal above cabinets could look super as well....jmho.

• jhmarie
    il y a 7 ans

I have similar color cabinets and have natural oak hardwood.

Pics are in my "my pics" idea book:)

• User
    il y a 7 ans
    I would go with ceramic wood tiles in a lighter shade of gray
  • Lisa 902
    il y a 7 ans

@jackjess2, I love your floor also. What is it?

• jhmarie
    il y a 7 ans

Be careful of mixing cool grays with warm toned woods - neither does anything for the other. Creams, beiges, blues and greens work with warm wood. The blues and greens can have gray undertones. The cool grays go with the popular white cabinets - which is why Jan suggested painting the cabinets since that seems to be the direction you want to go. However, many elements of your kitchen are warm. A few questions for you - do you have the budget to change out the warm elements for cool, and if you do so will the kitchen be cohesive with the rest of your home? Finally, will you love the gray / white look even when it goes out of style?

You can have some gray with warm wood - your countertop is fine, but when it comes to an expensive decision like flooring, it it time to get a plan - either cool pallet or warm. A gray floor would be trendy, but not particularly happy with the warm wood cabinets. A floor like Jackjess is more traditional and is more flexible style wise.

I will add that I also have pretty counters on older cabinets, but I am very happy with it and I've gone with a vintage / cottage style in my kitchen so it works for me.

• katmomof5
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I should add that there is no gray in my house. The walls in the great room are a different color than the kitchen. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the wall color is sort of taupe. If I had to pick a color in the kitchen to stand out I would want blue. I'm not a fan of the gray floors, and tile is out because of the grout. I love the look of wood floors but would get waterproof vinyl. My husband did say he was willing to paint the island so it's a start. But then I have no idea what to even paint it. Thanks for your ideas. It definitely helps when other see thing you don't.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 7 ans

Well!. Many things can be blue, not the least of which is cabinetry! Walls can be other THAN blue, and I wouldn't recommend taupe, which is the ultimate "I couldn't decide" color and often comes off a little depressing, or pink, or a tad dingy in tone.. Give this some thought on a longer term/happy factor basis. Rome wasn't built in a day! And by the way, a deep smoky blue on that cabinetry would look fantastic with your counters, as would a wood floor look in a luxury vinyl tile of almost any tone from light to dark.

The point is....decide the palette that makes you feel good to be in, (and I think you very definitely lean cool.......not warm) : ) If you paint the island, my bet is DH is convinced in less time than it takes the paint to dry.......and you're on to the rest of the cabinets. ( stainless fridge )

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    il y a 7 ans

Another view. I have light maple cabinets. My walls in kitchen and family room are a deep blue/green. The floors are Bellawood, Natural Maple from Lumber Liquidaters. They are pre-finished. They show absolutely no dirt and are so easy to care for.

• katmomof5
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Those are beautiful floors jackjess2. My cabinets used to be that color. They started out as natural maple but have darkened over time. I wish my cabinets were still that light.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you! They are 22 years old! They have never changed color. I am thinking that they may have been coated? The floors have yellowed in some areas in only 2 years. This is why I have no rugs. The rugs would have left a mark.

• grapefruit1_ar
    il y a 7 ans

We have 30 year old natural white ash floors ( light). They look great and are very easy to keep looking nice. My DD has 2 year old dark wood floors which make me want to scream! She will soon be having her third child.....EVERY crumb and speck of dust shows at every minute! I would never have dark floors.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    il y a 7 ans

You can look at a hickory-look vinyl plank. It will have all the tones you want to see in the maple cabinets...and yet be different enough to offer some interest. The other option is the always possible "gray" based planks.

As pretty as gray is...it will quickly turn from trendy to "so 2015". And yes, the cabinets are dated. You might want to change the floors with the FULL knowledge that the cabinets will be updated - eventually. Plan for it today so that you do NOT make poor choice for flooring.

• PRO
    Sharon King, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely look at the porcelain wood tiles. You can find the perfect color and it is so praftical and forward in design. This looks like wood and a wood flooring will never go out of style. Go with a neutral. This flooring is so practical and beautiful. This will not be going out of style. Wood flooring never goes out of style and if you can put in a lower mantainence version, you are making a solid choice. I see it in $2 million plus homes all of the time. Just make sure the tile is set close and the grout color just blends in.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».