Houzz Logo Print
ianthy

Paint sitting room F&B Downpipe

ianthy
il y a 6 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 6 ans

Palace Road · Plus d'infos

We are in the process of refreshing our home - general redecorate with a view to selling next year. Located in North London, our house is Edwardian with high ceilings, plenty of light and some of the rooms are painted in lighter shades of F&B grey or white. The house has a contemporary/scandi feel (I hope).
I really F&B Down pipe for the sitting room, which is 21x13ft with 3 very large bay windows. I would paint the area between the skirting board and picture rail. I am wondering if Down pipe is too dark considering the estate agent mantra for neutral colour schemes. See the photo above with Downpipe - our sitting is similar.

Your advice is welcome.

Commentaires (13)

• PRO
    Worsley Woodworking
    il y a 6 ans

I personally love dark walls if a room is big enough and has enough natural light, which by the sound of it yours does. I find these darker F&B colours have much more depth to them and suits your Edwardian home well. Go for it!

ianthy a remercié Worsley Woodworking
  • Sarah Lindsay
    il y a 6 ans
    The house we've made an offer on had F&B paint not sure on the colour, looked similar to the one you're suggesting when we'd were there in person but didn't photograph well.

Estate agents tend to use flash in dark rooms. This house is in an amazing location in Harrogate but was on the market 6 months, I think in part due to the unique taste and poor photos, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you're selling I'd go for a safer option, maybe even just one wall?
    ianthy a remercié Sarah Lindsay
  • ianthy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Great room but personally I think it was a mistake to paint the ceiling dark too up to the picture rail would have been more appealing. Thanks for the advice.

• Sonia
    il y a 6 ans
    I've never been a fan of dark walls, but I do think they can look stunning. However I have changed my mind now.! We sold my late mum's house last year - it was decorated to rent out in the usual cream walls, oak floor and beige neutral carpet. We noticed it was up for rent again (owner going abroad to work for a while) so ideal opportunity to have a nose online! Wow they had totally redecorated it in a mid century style. Walls were a mix of white and very dark grey throughout with trendy 60's style artwork. The main bedroom was stunning in dark grey walls and white bedding. It's not something I would have ever done, or even had the imagination to do, yet it looks fabulous. I would therefore say go for it, if you're a little wary just do a feature wall in the dark colour and do the rest white. Good luck!
  • Juliet Docherty
    il y a 6 ans

I think it largely depends on what the floor is and the other surfaces in the room. I have bronze green in my kitchen but it is balanced by the light worktops and other pale walls. Likewise I have Mouses back in my lounge balanced by reflective pale oak floor. It needs to have difference in tones. I would never use white on the other walls as I find the contrast too great, I prefer to use a neutral colour that ties it all together.

ianthy a remercié Juliet Docherty
  • ianthy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Thanks for your advice. Our flooring in the sitting room is period wooden stripped floors - a warm honey colour.

• Juliet Docherty
    il y a 6 ans

Most images of Down pipe show it with grey or whitewashed floors, but not all. The first image shows that it can look lovely with a warm floor, but I would balance it with pale rug and accessories. The last image is interesting as it shows it on woodwork with off white walls. You could always try it on one wall first.....

• A S
    il y a 6 ans
    Hi,

I'd try one wall and see how you feel and then progress to paint all the walls. If you choose to paint all the walls, I'd recommend painting only upto picture rail height; above the picture rail, ceiling and woodwork should be Done in a paler colour.

I like the final image posted by colourhappy...it's different to most 'feature walls'. The darker colour frames the windows effectively without overpowering the room, making it feel too dark.
  • K Fitz
    il y a 6 ans
    If you want to sell then leave colours light and neutral. The downpipe will appeal to some of the market but put others off, while white/beige won't put anyone off. I sold a house in 2014 in a sluggish market. I was horrified when my estate agent insisted that I paint over my greys with magnolia; to my eyes it ruined my home but I had a buyer for the asking price within 6 weeks of it going on the market which was amazing as there was noting selling at that time.

Remember you'll be selling a house that the buyer will want to put their own mark on. In the meanwhile use accessories that you can take with you to make it homely for you.
    ianthy a remercié K Fitz
  • ianthy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

You are certainly right the property market is sluggish - which is why I am taking all the advice I can before going onto the market. Magnolia makes me feel lie crying but my mind is made up that I need to go with a lighter colour. I will keep Downpipe for new home. Thanks all for the advice really appreciated.

• Juliet Docherty
    il y a 6 ans

I wouldn't necessarily agree that buyers will want to put their own mark on a property, it depends on the buyer. Yes, lighter colours generally are safer, but I have strangely always sold to people (5 times) who are cash rich and time poor and every time a request was asked for all of the paint colours and leftovers. I think this may show that if you get it right it could help but it is a bit of a risk. Difficult one....

ianthy a remercié Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Hello ianthy,

I think the colours you have are good ! What I might have considered is to paint the skirting to match the walls in an eggshell of the same as the flat emulsion, or a slightly darker shade or lighter to compliment. (you could go either way here) also consider the picture rail and window, but for ease, I'd stick to skirting.. You could then consider the floor to match either or in terms of shade... up or down

(Eico do a great floor paint)

I don't think painting the house magnolia is going to set it apart, if you're on a market with a hundred magnolia houses, surely the key is to stand out in a sea of bland....

:))

ianthy a remercié Amber Jeavons Ltd
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».