Houzz Logo Print
ashley_czarnik

I hate my house..help, please!

Ashley Boone
il y a 6 ans
I have lived here for iver two years now, and as odd as this might sound, I juat dont feel comfortable in here. I want to cozy it up and fall in love with my space. I sont k ow where to start.. bedroom, bathroom... Living room? We have an open floor plan so I think tjat mames it tough too. I like dark colors and deep reds, burnt oranges, paisley and floral patern etc... I like a lot of everything so that mKea it hard too. I am reaching out for advice on how to get started, and any ideas, suggestions. :) Id like to start in the dining or living room..but here is what I am dealing with.

Commentaires (56)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Ashley, i love your pittie! you have a warm, cozy space, just needs a little color. first thing I'd do is get an area rug to put in front of the couch, and anchor that w/a coffee table.

you are lacking some color so pick up some pillows, a throw, etc. remove the picture from behind the TV and put it where it can be seen properly, to the left of the tv over the cage. Don't hang it too high. remove the other one that's there and find a smaller space for it.

remember, art work should be at your eye level. so keep them low. the flower pic behind your chair is far too high. lower it about 10-12". (in fact, the bottom of the frame should be even where the bottom of the light switch cover is). Ditto the cat picture over by the dining table. lower it.

Paint the end table next to the couch. Any color you like, and make it an accent piece. Preferably paint it a color in the rug you're going to get.

look around through some of these rugs. you want something in the 5x7 range. do you have a smaller size coffee table you could use?

Belmont Polypropylene Rug, Blue, 7'10"x9'10" · Plus d'infos

Surya Serapi SRP-1008 Medium Gray, Dark Red 2'7"x7'3" Rug · Plus d'infos

• Casandra383 Dean
    il y a 6 ans
    Do you 'like' brown? (A good clue would be if you wear brown and feel good in it.). If not, break all the brown up with paint, rug, etc in colors more to your liking.
    I would be depressed living in that much brown, but my husband loves it! So to keep us both happy my sofa was brown leather but the walls were painted light blue with a blue, brown and gray rug.
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    il y a 6 ans

You have the same challenge I have - off white floors, ceiling, and walls! I very much agree with the ideas to bring in more color and texture. I think that will make a big difference.

A couch and chair will give you more decor options than a sectional.

A ceiling light in the living room doesn't do anyone any favors. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height.

• Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks for all the responses And I am sorry for al the typos in my first message...fat fingers on tgus phone. The colors, the couch and chair, and paintings on the wall that the Tv is against , as well as how everything is layed out was my fiances doing. He has lived here 10 years ... I moved in 2 years ago and added in the black tv stand and end table, dinner table, cat and flower pic, mirrors, rabbits and pittie He hung everything high, and its a struggle to get him to readjust anything. I have a small budget, as I am a full time student so I am taking baby steps. I really want a rug (he things a rug on carpet is not gling to look good, I disagree!) but I was leaning towards a very large one, so the furniture can sit on it. He had a coffee table when I moved in because it was so...ugly, (was metal with tiles on it) and I felt like the living room was just too small with it. I would love to paint as well, but not sure how to do it with such a large area and there doesnt seem to be any good stopping points...so perhaps just repaint it all, in the same color? Perhaps the wall a color and the ceiling another? I really appreciate all the feedback and ideas. You guys are great
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I like browns, but not the way it is in there.. just doesnt all flow well to me. Now, I have seen some bedroom ideas that are browns, and I love it. I do prefer colors
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    As for budget, it varies... not set amount, as I am a fulltime student, but I do not have a lot that i can just dump out in a just a few weeks either.... just have to spice up the place a little at a time ... and Its nice finding a comminity like this I can get help from (Thank you all so much) I garage sale a lot and go to furniture cogsignment shops and antique mall types of places ... I always find things i like all the time. but have no idea how to decide what mixes well, but after talkihg to you guys I feel more confident about reaching my end goal.
  • Susan
    il y a 6 ans
    You might start by finding two pillows for the couch in colors you love. Any combo that includes some brown would work, but personally I'd look for brown, cream and a shade of blue or teal. Let the colors in the pillows be your guide as you add color to the room. Examples: a throw in teal, an updated ceramic lamp in cream, a few kitchen canisters in teal, etc. Add a floor lamp so you can turn off the ceiling light, light from above is very harsh. If you don't want a coffee table, think about an upholstered ottoman in a stripe or print in your target colors. Then get out the hammer and move those pictures yourself.
  • Rina
    il y a 6 ans

Just to illustrate some of the points made above -- just a rug and a throw pillow can make a lot of difference. I'm in love with the first rug Beth H posted above, but couldn't pick it up to use here. If you can't afford a rug yet, just get some pillows to start with. Maybe this will help persuade your fiance?

• Amanda Goodman
    il y a 6 ans

I would change the direction your couch faces. You could put the TV above the fire place instead of that mirror, and then anchor the couch towards the TV. This allows for their to be more room for conversation between people in the kitchen and the living room. The way you have it now whomever is watching TV has their backs to people in the kitchen. Also, the walk way by the counter where you have those stools would be so tight. You could add a big coffee table or ottoman with a tray, and a couple chairs with their backs to the wall where you currently have your TV. I think this would open the room up a lot. Just some re-arranging and some color!

• Nancy Walters
    il y a 6 ans
    I would paint the walls a warmer color. I wouldn't put the tv over the fireplace, it would be too high. Paint is relatively cheap and would make a big difference. Your pets are adorable.
  • User
    il y a 6 ans

Love your pets and this is a beautiful home. I love brown and I love the rooms you chose in your wish list. Your couch and chair seem in good condition, I would not worry about replacing them at this time. For future marriage reference, it is usually easier and less grumbling to move things around yourself whenever possible! Tell your fiance that it is not weird to put a rug on a rug when color is needed in the room. You really only need the front legs of your furniture to sit on the rug. So, since you want a rug and it would make the biggest impact I would look for that first. It will also give you a starting point and colors to work off of. I know your budget is tight, but if you can scrimp up at least $300, you should be able to find a nice rug that you like. I am adding a few below with link for pricing to give you some ideas. The rugs below are all under $300.

Nourison Graphic Illusions Chocolate Brocade Pattern Rug

Home Dynamix Paisley

Meticulously Woven Contemporary Brown Floral Flitwick Rug

Colonial Home Vintage Colony10

Overstock.com is having an exceptional sale this weekend.

• coopermcboo
    il y a 6 ans

I think it's a great space with lots of potential. I agree with Beth H: the very first thing I'd do is to buy an area rug. (doesn't have to break the bank -- $200-$300) Think Wayfair, Overstock or someplace like that. I love the examples she posted. They're my favorite colors as well. The addition of the rug is going to make a big visual difference.

Move the picture from behind your TV and lean it on the mantle. Remove the mirror there and use it elsewhere in your home - it's not reflecting anything of interest.

Eventually, I'd like to see you add in some lighting, too, so that you don't have to rely on the overhead (it's too harsh). Maybe you can check on craigslist or a thrift store for tall buffet lamps that could go on either side of the TV - it's hard to tell if there's room. Remember, it's step by step. :) Have fun and good luck!

• inabunker
    il y a 6 ans

Ugh! Way too much brown.

I like a bright rug in the living room to cheer things up. Start with little steps and eventually get rid of all that brown!

• Leslie Rakestraw
    il y a 6 ans
    Decorating sites make it sound like people do a room overnight and everything is perfect. The truth is that most of us build our houses one piece at a time. I started by saving pictures of things that I loved and gradually incorporated them into the house in which I lived. Find something you love, whether it's a throw, a pillow, or a rug. Maybe plants will make you feel more at home. Maybe it's a color that makes the brown work: is it orange? Turquoise? Light blue? Even pink. Look at your wardrobe and see what colors you love. You have to find yourself first before you can make your home reflect your taste. But be patient; it's a process and it will take some time and work.
  • PRO
    Wingback LLC
    il y a 6 ans

Upholstery fabric with a pop of color would definitely brighten up the room dynamic.

• Sammy
    il y a 6 ans

Sounds like you'd be comfortable living in a Ralph Lauren-esque environment.

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 6 ans

Please add a dozen Houzz photos of rooms you love to your ideabook. It'd show what kinds of styles and colors you like. The octopus artwork in your ideabook is a good start.

• Belahn
    il y a 6 ans

Way too much brown everywhere. Don't be afraid of color. Use whatever colors you like and are drawn to. There is no bad or wrong color as long as it is done right.

• Rina
    il y a 6 ans

You could warm up the dining niche, with minimum effort. I like the runner and bowl in the pic below, or just use a big vase with flowers. The plant you have there is way too tiny. Later, you could consider reupholstering the dining chairs.

A richly detailed family home, designed for sharing and entertaining · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
    il y a 6 ans
    Everyone has made excellent suggestions. An area rug and throw pillows in same colors are relatively low cost with BIG impact and will help set the tone for the other rooms to tackle.
    I think part of why it feels cold too, aside from all the brown? Is that there are not enough lamps. Lamps cozy a space right up and give off nice soft light instead of the overheads especially fan light kits which tend to give off a very sterile kind of light that always feels cold.
    You have decent big pieces to work with. You are just missing the sizzle :)
    And I agree. Start saving a bunch of photos to your idea book. That will really help you decide what colors you want and love or what direction it should go....
    Excited to see it come together. Oh and start in the living room. I think that gives you the most bang....good luck!
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    I also wanted to add in looking at your furniture placement? You sofa and bar area stools are too close. I would look for a console table like the one pictured here to put behind your sofa to help separate the space between living and kitchen and move the seating arrangement in a little bit. This would allow you to put a lamp on it again for more ambient lighting and a spot to put a colorful accessory or flowers or picture frames or whatever.... console tables are easy to find at HomeGoods or the like and can be gotten very inexpensively online as well. There are loads on Houzz also :)
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    And it doesn't have to be brown either!! Could be even in a color that works with your throw pillows you choose(i.e. Red, teal or some blue, fun yellow)
    Happy hunting :) you may even have something now that you could repurpose? Shop your house: you may be amazed at what you find
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    Sorry me again :) it seems you like the Ralph Lauren kind of English hunting country house color palette...?
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/getting-the-ralph-lauren-look-stsetivw-vs~130384

Also? Maybe the look in this photo as a jumping off point? Definitely cozy and uses browns and blues...and deep red which you said speaks to you?...
  • ileslie2
    il y a 6 ans
    I love your dogs and I absolutely love how picked up and tidy everything is. Someone posted pics of rugs and they look wonderful like art for the floor so why not start there?
    Leslie
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I am very short in time to respond more in depth at this moment, but I am reading a d taking everything in. You guys have warmed my heart and lifted my spirits... thank you all, so much for taking time out of your day to help me.. it is greatly appreciated. I have a few pillows I bough and was going to replave the covers with what I like , but not sire if the large one is too big (I have two of them) or if the smaller one is too small (I have only one, but can buy more) I will attach pics of them on the couch, as wll as a pic if the floor lamp I already have. I will also post a close up of the art...which I am not a fan of. I would love to rearrange furniture...just not sure how. I have also considered taking ofd the mantle, getting a tall wall unit, and using that way for it with the TV in it. I dont know if my other half will go for it though. Ill add more to my ideas/ wish list when I have some down time :)
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    i only like my flower painting out of these
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    The big red pillow? Look too big. The cream one is better size but it's super plain. Something with a stripe or a check or paisley? Would liven things up so much :) I would stay away from plain fabrics because you have so much plain already ?....save those big red pillows for your bed or a guest bed maybe for a pop of color? No need for them to go to waste!
    I think your fireplace is lovely and I don't think it's a good idea to stick the tv in front of it. The tv probably only fits best for watching it where it is now?
    And the flower painting that you like? There are some creams and navy blues you could pull out of that potentially? :) red especially like a cranberry deeper red always mixes well also with that palette....
    The Van Goghs are fun and colorful too but only if you like them. If not? Then don't look to them for inspiration. They do give a lot of nice color and maybe could be hung together in a group in the entry or in the bathroom?
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    Ashley? If you go to my page and to my ideabooks? I started a little ideabook there for you called "navy & brown for Ashley"...these might give you some ideas to add to your own page. I just used your favorite flower painting as inspiration piece.....hope it helps :)
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I really like the blues, too! I was leaning towards reds or burntt orange...but now I just dont know. I found two rugs for sale by me... i like them both... the dark o e is an 8 x 10 the larger is a 10x 13! Id really like to go big, but not sure if the larger one is TOO big. I am going to look for a rug and take the advice of pulling colors from it and go from there. Here are the two I am considering. Not 100% sold on either one yet. I am going to look at overstock.com and some blue rugs tonight as well
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 6 ans

Deeper wall color; sofa facing fireplace with t v above it.

34A ave · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    Ooooo I like the second one. Lots of pretty colors to work with and it will def lighten the space up!
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I get excited when I see these two! The blue ine is an 8 x 11 and the pink is a 9x12 ..I prefer bigger, but what do you guys think? I really like both colors and styles
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

they're a bit bright. great for a kids room. would look better in a home w/very light walls and 'lighter' furniture. something not heavy like yours.

Stick w/more earthy or muted shades, or a rug w/one bright tone, not the entire thing. Have you not looked at all of the examples people have posted for you? were any of them bright like that?? nope.

search here on Houzz. they have tons, good prices. and you can search the range of the color you want on the left margin.

• coopermcboo
    il y a 6 ans

Well... honestly, neither. I think you need more subdued tones -- think black and burgundy - or the something like dark one you posted earlier. Also, if you look online at wayfair or home decorators or overstock, you can find great deals and free shipping.

• Barbara Almandarz
    il y a 6 ans

Lucky you, you don't have to work around some strange color. Everything is neutral. Depending on how much time and money you can spend, the first thing I'd do is find an area rug that you love, perhaps with some jewel tones. Look for something with some curves in the design to add that warmer feel. Perhaps with some purples?

That will give you a starting off point for wall color, but personally I love the blend of browns and grays. I'd paint the walls a gray tone that blends with your new area rug, paint the trim white and the doors white. Then if budget allows, I'd replace the dark heavy lights with something in stainless. Then you can add accent pieces/pottery etc with colors you find in your area rug. Good luck!

• lrweber
    il y a 6 ans

My first thought was to maybe put wood floors in your family room...if budget allows, extend it into the kitchen. then a nice big rug with color and pattern will really change the look!

• Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I love greys! I dont really like the "splash" look in the rug tho ... I do like the previous rugs (ill post screen shots for reference) but was hoping to find something in the 9x12 size range...when i get home ill measure for sure. And, I like these very neutral colors, I was trying to not be afraid of bright colors so i threw the pink and blue rug into the mix for opinions :) I LOVE greys... My other half HATES it. He is the one that likes browns. I do like browns too, but I like color added in.. just trying to learn from you guys how to do it
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    forgot to include the screenshots
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

try this for now,,,,you can change colors over in the left hand margin. this is set for all red tones in 8x10 or larger

https://www.houzz.com/products/8-x-10-red-rugs-prbr2-br~t_515~a_88-1--716-4122

• PRO
    Color Zen
    il y a 6 ans

We need some happiness and contrast here :) I would start with wall paint and new lights. I would paint the crown trim a warm white and the walls a light-ish, earthy color other than tan or gray. You've got to mix up all the brown. The lights are very heavy and I would shift to brushed silver with warm white shades. These 2 changes will make a huge difference.

• User
    il y a 6 ans

Orian Rugs Mosaic Vintage Vines Blue Area Rug · Plus d'infos
    Mosaic Vintage Vines Rug - Orian Rugs

Here is a 'rough" mock up with the rug and the octopus pic from you wishlist, also the couch a little closer in.

• ileslie2
    il y a 6 ans
    Rug and pic look very nice and for myself I like warm colors. I have Sherwin Williams Dover White on all my walls and it is a warm white. Everything seems to look nice with it.
  • User
    il y a 6 ans

Hi again. My opinion for the rug size: Here's an approx. image since I don't know your measurements. You could also go larger or smaller. I would like to hear everyone else's opinions on this as well.

• katinparadise
    il y a 6 ans

posting to follow

• PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    Ashley? How goes your dilemma? Give us an update when you have time :)
  • Ashley Boone
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    we started house shopping shortly after that post...we bought a bigger house! Now I have more areas to decorate I'll be posting for help soon!
  • PRO
    Sarasota FL Real Estate Photographer Rick Ambrose
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I photograph interiors for a living and the three things that jump out at me are:

(1) Get rid of the supermarket LED lighting. It's too bright and creates too much glare. Replace ALL the bulbs with GE Reveal...a very cheap fix that will amaze you.

(2) You are killing yourself with dark brown. Only 60% of a room should be the same. 30% should be complimentary and 10% accent. You've got 100% PLUS the cabinets and trim.

(3) Get your furniture away from the walls, unless you're having a Twister or Square Dance party - because that's what it looks like it's set up for. Pick a focal point - the fireplace or the TV, and arrange the furniture accordingly to it - yes in the middle of the room.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 5 ans

Sarasota...uh, they bought a diff house. read the comment above yours. plus, this post is 6 months old.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».