Houzz Logo Print
bavolio

pros and cons glass vs plexiglass for outdoor deck railing

bavolio
il y a 10 ans
Looking to replace wooden railings to maximize views on our decks but not sure which material is the best in terms of keeping it clean, free of scratches (two large dogs) and general upkeep

Commentaires (15)

• PRO
    The Sullivan Company, Inc.
    il y a 10 ans
    Either choice will require a fair amount of cleaning with two dogs. Think nose prints. The plexi will scratch and fade over time. There are a number of nice glass kits available. I've also had very good luck using cable rail since the thin cables don't obstruct the view and then the need for cleaning is eliminated.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    il y a 10 ans
    Glass is much better stronger long term but much more expensive. Plexiglass has improved over the years but although cheaper, reacts to sunlight, scratches easily and should be replaced regularly.
  • onthefence
    il y a 10 ans
    I was thinking cable railing as well.

In addition to the cleaning factor, I'm sure the glass would have to be tempered which would get very pricey. Additionally, would it even be code compliant for the application?
  • Ed
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Hi Bavolio, do you plan to have a "frameless", "rail-less," or "cable-less" look for the new (plexi-)glass railing ? It would look very pretty! Also, what's the material for your deck's current flooring? Please keep us updated of your progress, with Before & After photos. :) --
    Pac Heights Penthouse · Plus d'infos

Modern Architecture by the Bay · Plus d'infos

Garde-corps en stainless et verre · Plus d'infos

Kapoor Residence · Plus d'infos

The Lakehouse Retreat · Plus d'infos

Globus Builder · Plus d'infos
  • Ed
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi ASV, that's a very interesting note! :)
  • PRO
    Ultra-tec®
    il y a 10 ans
    Checkout our stainless steel cable railing. It's virtually maintenance free and doesn't obstruct the view.
  • bavolio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks so much for all you comments, very helpful! And I LOVE the look of stainless cable railing but have some uneasy feelings have had an animal get caught and choked in those at one point….
  • hama103
    il y a 7 ans

I am looking at cabling to replace wood railing, but am concerned about possible injury to my dog if she runs into them ( sometime deer go by and she lunges at the railing to try to chase them . Right now wood so no problem., but what if they are steel cables - can she be cut severely? Todd

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 7 ans

Cable railings in many places are not code I have glass railings i clean them once in the spring once in July and again in Sept. not such a big deal

bavolio a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kenwillson4
    il y a 7 ans

Hama103, I’m glad to know of and am impressed with the care towards your dog, paying attention to the minutest detail even for her. Well, in this case, I would also like to suggest wrought-aluminum railings as they are not that rough but still tough, and they don’t rust. You can check out http://www.cplrailings.ca/ to customize a solution for your needs.

• PRO
    Ron Keddy Tile Dealer
    il y a 7 ans

Glass railing is much better than plexiglass for outdoor deck railings. Nowadays, glass railings are more in demand in commercial and residential areas. If you want to install railings in your outdoor area, go with glass railing.

• Talieh Rohani
    il y a 3 ans

Will glass be too heavy for a deck? Does it need an engineer to evaluate ?

• PRO
    The Sullivan Company, Inc.
    il y a 3 ans

Glass is fine for deck rails and you don't need to worry about the weight. Timbertech makes a nice kit that we use. The glass has to be made locally but that is easy. Not sure where you are but if you are in Massachusetts or Florida and need help just let me know.

• PRO
    Hudson Custom Fabrication
    il y a 3 ans

Responding to the comments about cable railing, that is incorrect about them not being to code. Very briefly, residential code said that you couldn't create the ladder effect. That was changed within a year. There are only a few situations in which they are not okay, such as fencing around a pool.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».