Houzz Logo Print
staceynyc

Need ideas on updating our fireplace. Please help!

staceynyc
il y a 6 ans
I'd like some ideas on updating our red brick fireplace. I don't love the look of red bricks. I'd consider painting the bricks or even refacing over the bricks but price is a concern. My style is transitional and our color scheme is ivory/grey/blues. Thanks for any help!

The first pic is the current look and the second pic is one idea.

Commentaires (27)

• kjg3
    il y a 6 ans

I love the look you picked out in the second picture. I think it will give you exactly the style you want & go great with your color scheme.

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks! Any idea on what kind of mantle to do instead? Do you think it's worth just painting/white washing the bricks instead of covering with sheet rock to make smooth?
  • PRO
    Wilcox Designs
    il y a 6 ans
    Painting the brick is the right way to go but......the mantle should be wooden beam in a weather wood look. Perhaps you could find a reclaimed railroad tie or purchase a reproduction one. I would also use bottom closed cabinets and put mirrors or matching art on sides.
  • staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Put mirrors on the back of the side shelves?
  • Brenda Waggoner
    il y a 6 ans
    Maybe just whitewash it like your picture but no surround. Look at it for a couple of days and see what you think it needs. You seem to have great taste so I know you'll figure out what looks good.
  • Depo
    il y a 6 ans

I would just whitewash the brick and paint the brass on the doors with high heat black spray paint.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

like everything but that mantle. doesn't go. try a natural, large beam for a mantle. you can make one for next to nothing. buy a big fir 6x6 or 6x8 beam at lowes or HD, beat it up a bit, cut to fit, stain and clear coat. attach to the fireplace by using lag bolts. it's easy.

• Sammy
    il y a 6 ans

How are you going to deal with the vent covers?

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks everyone. I would assume we'd paint the vent covers to blend in with the whitewash brick?
  • functionthenlook
    il y a 6 ans

Painting brick is a personal choice, but remember once painted it is very expensive and messy to go back to real brick. It will never look the same again.

• Sammy
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

I meant how are you going to deal with installing a mantel or fireplace surround without interfering with the vents and their functions? Sorry, I could've been clearer in my original question. ;) Additionally, are you familiar with how your fireplace works and do you use it? Has it been inspected? I've never lived in a house with one of those Heatilator(?)-type fireplaces, which is why I'm asking you all these questions. In other words, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. :)

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Great question. Never used the fireplace and it's been cleaned and inspected since we've moved in. I actually don't think those vents are for anything but distributing the heat in the room. We would just make sure the mantle doesn't interfere with the vents.

Another question, not sure what the section is called, maybe the hearth, but the area that my kids currently use as a stage, would you keep that the current grey slate?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

I would. the slate will look good against the white wash of the brick

this one was a lighter color slate and the left it as is. The second pic shows what it looks like painted. you can leave yours until after it's done and decide if you like the contrast.

• Sammy
    il y a 6 ans

Since the fireplace is functional, I'd keep the slate "stage." Besides, it's not horrendous looking...not at all!!

• Depo
    il y a 6 ans

I like the slate!

• User
    il y a 6 ans

Just saw a Flip or Flop episode with a similar fireplace, and they covered the brick with what they called a Santa Barbara finish...basically putting stucco over the brick...google it, and see what you think. It wasn't expensive, yet looked really nice upon completion

• groveraxle
    il y a 6 ans

I'd do a whitewash that allows some of the brick to show through.

lowcountry river house · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 6 ans

I don't think you can discount the ledge color when selecting a color to paint/wash your brick wall. IMO white washing is not the solution for your wall. You might want to wash the brick in the same color as the ledge. It lends a unique appearance to your room. See below.

Not sure this fireplace requires a mantle at all. This is a lovely contemporary style for the room. Also, do you really need shelving built on either side of the fireplace because they rarely look as good in real life as they do in the magazines? In addition, your shelves will extend beyond the front of the brick and that's not the best look.

If you require shelving, I would consider black shelving to coordinate with your furnishings and piano. See this stained version below.

Your other option is to place art and simply cabinets on either side of the fireplace.

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks. That room is actually a clean slate. The only thing that is staying is the black piano. Otherwise, furniture, paint, rug, etc. is all changing. I thought I could have the shelves go as deep as the ledge/stage goes out? I think it's 24".
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 6 ans

Details get complicated when the bookcases have to extend beyond the face of the brick. See examples below. IMO it changes the appearance of the wall to something more traditional.

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks. Now I have some thinking to do because I thought it would also be nice to have the extra shelves in the room. It certainly saves money not to build all of those bookshelves!

Here are other views of the room. Do you think a bookcase would go anywhere?

I am open to anything since I haven't started to decorate this room at all. The current couches are both going to our finished basement.
  • staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I love that idea! Thank you!
  • staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    So if I go with the idea of a console table next to the fireplace instead of built in shelves, do you think I have room to put one on each side to make it symmetrical or does the piano get in the way?
  • coopermcboo
    il y a 6 ans

I think two narrow console tables would work nicely - and I don't think that your piano would get in the way. But -- if you want to do this in small stages -- first, I'd paint the brick whatever color you'd like (hmm... maybe a dark charcoal??) and add a barn wood/square beam mantle across the entire width. Live with that for a while and then you can add in pieces. It's a lovely space. (and you can move the bookcase currently to the right of the FP to your downstairs room.) Nice space!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

here are some ideas. if you do the fp white, then consider some warm wood consoles and maybe a dark wall color. for sure a wood beam mantel

grab some cool art to put above. your plants, etc.

an idea for something on both sides.

on the piano side, you could choose to do a nice bench w/a canvas art piece above, and the console on the other side.

• staceynyc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi,

So I’m finally remodeling my fireplace. I’m attaching a picture of what it currently looks like and what I’m thinking of doing. I’m also going to be placing a buffet/sideboard on each side of the fireplace. My question is if I have a natural wood beam for my fireplace mantle, is it too much of the same color to have my sideboards in natural wood? I attached photos of 2 sideboards that I like. My coffee table is also a natural wood color. Thanks!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».