Boring kitchen

jill Barnett
il y a 6 ans
My kitchen is boring help!

Commentaires (27)

• PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd
    il y a 6 ans

Maybe some colours to add? New pendants?

• jill Barnett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    What colours? I'm not very good with knowing what colours to choose
  • boundsgreener
    il y a 6 ans

I don't think it's boring at all, Jill. Both ends of the room look great and I love your art. As Kluk said, you could add a few colours in a few accessories if you feel it is necessary. A couple of throw pillows, a brighter bunch of flowers, a vase or two. Seriously, you could pick almost any colour because all your art has so much colour in it (but if you made me pick I'd opt for a bunch of orange gladioli on your island, a green vase on the coffee table with a small bunch of sweet peas, and red, pink, orange and/or blue throw pillows on your couch in different fabrics and textures).

• jill Barnett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thank you boundsgreener I'll take some pics of throws/cushions etc as I say I'm not too good with staging things... put things in wrong place and mix old with new but don't seem to get it right.. really wish I had some artistic streak lol
  • bryan4974
    il y a 6 ans

I think it looks lovely - but you could maybe replace the mat under the coffee table with a bold stripe rug or possibly soften the window by draping a soft plain voile to each side pulled back.

• PRO
    Saltbox Interiors London
    il y a 6 ans

Hey there! You have a great foundation with some of your key pieces like your painted cabinetry, coffee table and grey sofa. I think a larger and more punchy area rug would do wonders for this space. Wayfair has some wonderful choices at a great price point - try brand Safavieh as a starting point. Choose a colour that you love and go bold - yellows and blues would really suit this space. A complimentary throw and cushions that coordinate (not too much) to your rug will liven it up.

Another suggestion I would make would be regarding lighting. It's worth it to spend a little bit more to give your room a bit of a luxury. Try John Lewis or for a splash Original BTC floor lamp.

Consider downsizing your tv cupboard to a smaller sideboard variety with storage. Try West Elm for one that might compliment your coffee table. You could put some objects on top with the tv to give it more of a designer edge.

Do you have space for a chair also, even an occasional?

Finally, really think about your art. Does what you have on the walls, have special meaning to you or is it just to fill the space? A gallery wall of personalised black and white photos of family, friends or places that have special meaning to you might bring you joy as you sink into the sofa. Since this is probably your most lived in space, it should feel like home. Ikea has some great frames which make lovely gallery walls.

Hope that's helpful input! Good luck!

• minnie101
    il y a 6 ans

Hi. I think it's a really lovely kitchen. It took me a while to spot the tv but I think I'd add something opposite the sofa, a chair wouldn't be practical but you could add a sheepskin or knitted pouffe. I think the rug is big enough to have the front feet of the Sofa on it? If you're not keen on colour go for texture. I might add a collection of woven baskets opposite the island. It doesn't have to be inky blue but you could paint the island or paint the stool legs. I might also change the floor lamp to something in brass as it feels a bit lost. You could repeat the brass for 1/2 worktop accessories and add a potted herb. You could also add Roman blinds for colour/pattern if wanted. I think the cushion would work in your room and then maybe add a throw with some mustard in just draped over the arm

• jill Barnett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thank you all so much for ideas... I hate the black lamp so will have good scour around ... the artwork is something my grandchildren did for me... there feet and hands lol...
  • PRO
    Saltbox Interiors London
    il y a 6 ans

Sorry Jill - couldn't see what the art was from the photos but that is certainly meaningful then! As they are colourful, you could win by picking some colours from the art and using that in other accessories around the room. Or as one user said above, use texture and keep it neutral. In my home I have everything very neutral, barring some yellow cushions but went really colourful with art as you have done! Good luck! I am sure you will get some more suggestions as the days roll on to help guide your thinking!

• A S
    il y a 6 ans
    I really like your kitchen, it's calm and serene.

A textured throw draped around the arm of the sofa, some colourful patterned cushions and a vase of fresh, colourful flowers, in my opinion, help bring the added spark you may be missing.

Maybe a patterned rug as opposed to plain could also add interest, not so much a contrasting colour though.

A really lovely space all the same!
  • shari39
    il y a 6 ans
    I think your kitchen is lovely. I would inject an accent colour, maybe mustard. Could pick up with a rug, patterned Roman blinds, cushions, throw and a few kitchen accessories.
  • Prince Fafa
    il y a 6 ans
    definitely a beautiful ,well planned kitchen...
    1)you could get a slim ,narrow rug between the island and the wall, something bright.
    2)the rug in the living room has to go. get s Persian or Spanish/Moroccan rug with a splash of colour to match the SRT on the walls.
    3)family photos on the kitchen wall opposite the island with a dark frame.
    4)paint the pendant lights a bright colour ,may be a vivid pink or canary yellow?
    5) a vase on the island
    6)definitely some brightly coloured throw pillows /cushions
  • Prince Fafa
    il y a 6 ans
    sorry, SRT is ART
  • Juliet Docherty
    il y a 6 ans

You have some lovely things, the sofa is gorgeous, but I feel as if it lacks tonal interest. The cupboards, walls, ceiling, woodwork all look to be very similar and I wonder if that is the problem. If you look at these images, a bolder use of darker tones seem to give the rooms interest and structure. I would increase the textural elements and paint at least two walls a darker colour. What is the unit/wall colour currently? I would also consider hanging natural floor length linen curtains at the window to add texture (obviously rehang the hand pictures elsewhere). This lamp form Dunelm Mill may go well.

http://www.dunelm.com/product/lilith-carved-wood-floor-lamp-100008412

Holzbungalow · Plus d'infos

Liebhaver lejlighed i hjertet af stræderne · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Your area rug is too small, I would like to get bigger one, plus drapes and accent pillows, natural colour curtains.

• PRO
    il y a 6 ans

or get a silver/gray curtains

• PRO
    il y a 6 ans

Here is with kilim rugs

• PRO
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans

Safavieh Valencia Collection
    VAL218K

Color: Multi

• jill Barnett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Oh wow celery girl... very clever... love the red carpet not so much in kitchen but by sofa .... thinking of trying mustard throw cushion as suggested thank you for giving me ideas to see!!
  • jill Barnett
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Hi celery girl, Please could you tell me where I can get the red rug please! Thank you ...
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans

I think i gave links at Amazon and ebay.co.uk

You can google for

Nevita Collection Southwestern Native American Design Area Rug Rugs Geometric

I hope you can get more choices. Good luck with your project. :-))

• PRO
    il y a 6 ans

Jill! You can check houzz here is some inspiration too.

Red Kazak Area Rug, 86x114 cm · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    il y a 6 ans

Hi

How about putting a rug down under the coffee table with colours that match your pictures on the walls. Try https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/type/modern-rugs

Add pendant lights over the same table - that either match the ones in your kitchen area or that are completely different

These are from Bo Concept.

Or make a splash of colour with cushions

These are by cygnus papilio.

Good luck, would love to see the finished look.

Shannon

• PRO
    Bath Bespoke
    il y a 6 ans

Just add some colour and it'll really lift it. Perhaps dip paint the legs of the stools in an orange and update the lighting. Some suggestions here: https://www.bathbespoke.co.uk/2017/02/08/video-3-ways-refresh-kitchen/

• PRO
    Spaced Out Limited
    il y a 6 ans

Hi there,

You could change the stools to bring a modern touch to the room!

This one is from https://www.atlanticshopping.co.uk and it's called Freedom modern stool (£89.99).

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».