Houzz Logo Print
yazed

Need your advice please before I made my decision !

yazed
il y a 10 ans
I'm going to do renovations in my house.

An idea came to me regarding baseboard material.

If I'm going to install the baseboard over a marble or porcelain floor, is it efficient for the baseboard to be made from plaster/gypsum instead of wood? what is the advantages, disadvantages?

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Joni Hoffman Designs
    il y a 10 ans
    The advantages are it costs less than wood. The disadvantage is it chips very easily.
  • Katarina Moka-Black
    il y a 10 ans
    Hate this stuff - our home is only months old with this type of trim (not our choice) it looks dirty already, chipped etc. Would definitely go with real wood. Costly yes, but in the end well worth it.
  • Geneviève
    il y a 10 ans
    I second that , Gypsum is usually used as a close to the ceiling moulding/trim not where heavy traffic and cords can damage it .
  • elcieg
    il y a 10 ans
    And the wood looks rich as it is the real deal.
  • PRO
    Drafting Your Design
    il y a 10 ans
    You can use an "Abuse Board" type of gypsum to do lower sections if you really want to use a gypsum product. The abuse board is a denser gypsum product that doesn't dent or damage as easily. You could also use a 1/2" MDF product instead of drywall on the bottom and then use a drywall compound to tie the gypsum into the MDF. This will give you a similar look. In my experience, the wood will out last any gypsum product used as or in place of a wood baseboard. As said earlier, the gypsum product will cost less but be a bigger headache as it degrades / chips or dents. The wood product will be slightly more, however it will out last anything else, and is much easier to maintain.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».